What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HID Bhut Jolokia growlog ...

OZZ_

Veteran
Things are going good. However Im having some Temp problems if anyone could offer any suggestions Ild be greatful :tiphat:

Take a look at these pics if you would.... you'll see that white digital thermometer laying on the rims of the pots. It reads out as high as 94 deg's some days with an ambient room temp of 78-80 deg's.

However, I have one of those laser temp guns and it reads way lower on the leaf surface. For example, right now the lights have only been on for about 2 hours ... the thermometer reads 88 deg's but the laser temp gun reads 80 - 81 degs on the leaf surface. Ive heard of peeps having their aircooled hoods with 600's as close as 8" away... Mine is about 18" away from the tops of the plants at this point.

As mentioned in my opening post I have a 424 cfm fan sucking through the hood and exhausting out a nearby window. Also, all three flaps on the tent are wide open for ventilation. Heres some pics of the setup.

attachment.php

Theres three of these vent flaps wide open on the tent, one on each side and one on the back of the tent.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I do have a small fan up top blowing downwords for air circulation but I really dont have one on the floor level blowing at the glass of the hood. My guess is I should get one but Im not sure if it would help matters much.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Regardless the plants are doing well. Im just concerned about the temps as they get bigger and reduce airflow. From what Ive read I have an adequate fan and Im venting straight out the window so Im not sure why my temps are so high.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So a few direct questions:

1) Should I go buy the laser temp gun readout at the leaf surface or the thermometers readout?

2) How are people getting their aircooled hoods so close??

3) What size fan do you think I should get for the floor level? Should I have it oscillate or fixed blowing on the lights glass surface? Oscillating would take up too much room Im thinking.

:):)

Attachments

• tempprobs (1 of 2).jpg
    tempprobs (1 of 2).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 17
  • tempprobs (1 of 5).jpg
    tempprobs (1 of 5).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 18
  • tempprobs (2 of 2).jpg
    tempprobs (2 of 2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 15
  • tempprobs (2 of 5).jpg
    tempprobs (2 of 5).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 17
  • tempprobs (3 of 5).jpg
    tempprobs (3 of 5).jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 19
  • tempprobs (4 of 5).jpg
    tempprobs (4 of 5).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 17
  • tempprobs (5 of 5).jpg
    tempprobs (5 of 5).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 22

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I would have to think your thermometer is broken!

I have a tent much like yours (maybe the same one) and I have my lower port open as well. (Just be concerned about light leaks)

I would hazard a guess that the temps aren't too bad for peppers anyway.

:2cents:

They do seem to be humming along quite nicely!

:yes:

PS Fixed fans pointing anywhere but directly into a wall can burn plants... Mr. Bongjangles had a thread about screwing an oscillating fan into a tent pole.

OZZ_

Veteran
Well, I thought you might be on to something .... but check this out. The laser temp gun is confirming the thermometers readings. Still, on the leaf surface we see a much lower reading temp. Im assuming it has something to do with the leaf surface itself and the absorbtion of heat vs. the plastic temp or the ambient air temp inside the tent.

Either way ... the air temp is in the 90's right there ... and the leaf temps are around 82. Whats the deal!?? I have my 424 cfm fan on full blast too and Im reading that most peeps can have theirs on half speed in this size tent ... and I dont even have a carbon filter or anything!!

WTF??

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tempcomp (4 of 4).jpg
    tempcomp (4 of 4).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 19
  • tempcomp (3 of 4).jpg
    tempcomp (3 of 4).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 20
  • tempcomp (2 of 4).jpg
    tempcomp (2 of 4).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 20
  • tempcomp (1 of 4).jpg
    tempcomp (1 of 4).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 17

OZZ_

Veteran
Thats what Im saying!! lol ...

The ballast is outside the tent.... and its a digi that is crazy cool to the touch as well (badass).

Im not sure what the hell is going on. The sides of the tent are sucking in just a little, but keep in mind I have all three of those flaps wide open for intake, should be more then adequate. Im not worried about light leaks.. we are talking peppers here not MJ. :)

If I rub my hands on the carpet by one of the vents, I can see little specks of dust or what not floating in the air getting sucked into the tent pretty quickly ... so I know theres good airflow into the tent.

I wouldnt think I should turn the fan DOWN because I have to high of temps ... lol. I guess I could open up some of the other vents for more airflow into the tent. Doesnt seem like I should need to though??

OZZ_

Veteran
You know ... after messing around in there a bit I realized. There is TON of air sucking into the opening in that hood. So much so it will suck the whole hood and the ducting towards my hand if I come within an inch or so of the opening but still theres a ton of heat radiating down underneath the glass.

There is so much air rushing through that thing I dont know how thats possible. Its almost like the glass is too thin or something. I wonder if my hood just sucks?? Its an easy cool 6 from HTG.

It doesnt seem to be very good quality btw. Im betting if it had thicker glass it would be much better. The only thing is though ... if the glass was thicker would it detract from the lumens reaching the plants?? Im tempted to go buy a new hood!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Maybe it is the glass... my 400+ cfm fan is cooling my 600 to where I've got some tops about seven inches away.

:dunno:

What's the ambient room temp? It seems like if you're venting it out a window and you have a lower ambient room temp things would be working.

I'm so high I've have absolutley no idea what's going on right now.

Frozenguy

Veteran
The leaf surface is cooler then the thermometer because the leaf is on your living plant! :)
It "sweats", or respires, and cools off using water. Thats why plants drink more when its hot out. The evaporation is endothermic. The water takes heat from the surface of the plant, and uses it to break bonds and evaporate, leaving the surface with less heat (cooler).

With that said, what are your air inlet temps? And you're sure there are 0 leaks in your ventilation system, even outside the tent?
The aircooling wont remove the direct heat that is accumulated on a surface, but it will remove the heat radiating from the bulb glass. So.. uh.. I forget where I was going with that.

Let me know air inlet temps at your vents.

Oh also, one thing that kind of sent a red flag up to me was your fan at the top of your tent pointing down. You are essentially eliminating any benefit of a tall ceiling. Normally heat would accumulate up there but you are reciruculating it down into the grow area below. Turn that small fan off and see what that does after a while.

Keep in mind, that things absorb heat over a period of time, so say you turn that fan off, and the tent starts to cool, the walls will start radiating the extra heat off into the air too so it makes analyzing results of your new attempt difficult. You may need to wait until the tent cools off after a bit to see the true results.

But I would try turning that fan off at the top.

Frozenguy

Veteran
These are peppers. 90-100 F is just fine, so long as the air keeps moving. They like it hot!

Not for all peppers. I dont know about Bhuts, but I have some Red Rocottos that like it about MJ's temp range.. But 90 degree prolonged would cause leaf/fruit drop and water issues.

But I agree/think some if not most do like hot temps..

OZZ_

Veteran
The ambient t inlet temps are 78-80 degree...I've worked with bhuts quite a bit and flower drop at these temps is a real possibility. Regardless I shouldn't be having temp issueswith this equipment. Ill be sure to turn that little fan off. I guess I was thinking by blowing the heat downit would be sucked out through the hood. Also, I need to get a grip on temps so when I do grow mj I have things under control

Frozenguy

Veteran
The ambient t inlet temps are 78-80 degree...I've worked with bhuts quite a bit and flower drop at these temps is a real possibility. Regardless I shouldn't be having temp issueswith this equipment. Ill be sure to turn that little fan off. I guess I was thinking by blowing the heat downit would be sucked out through the hood. Also, I need to get a grip on temps so when I do grow mj I have things under control

With a "good" or efficient ventilation system, the temps shouldn't really be more the a few degrees above ambient. I'd recomend seeing what turning that fan off does.

I might even recommend putting that little fan next to one of the inlets, blowing to the left or right, maybe tilted a little downward. I'm wondering if most of that cool air just goes right up into the vent without really circulating around the plants first..

It can be a tricky thing to figure out. I've encountered weird phantom problems with random cab/tent/room set ups.. Just takes trial and error.

M

medfinder

bhut's

bhut's

Very good looking...those are bhut's in that tent..wish u well...

becarefull...the bhut jolikia is very strong..can cause ulcer's..blister's and discomfort.

Iam crossing the mature staimens with other peppers..

already have developed some..its a pepper thing..u know.heres some pics. these are carrib-red habinero's ..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• peppers 010.jpg
    peppers 010.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 17
  • SpiderKillerBeeAxanthic
    SpiderKillerBeeAxanthic
    20.3 KB · Views: 28
  • peppers 004.jpg
    peppers 004.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 15
  • peppers 003.jpg
    peppers 003.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 29
  • peppers 002.jpg
    peppers 002.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 21
  • peppers 001.jpg
    peppers 001.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 19
  • peppers 007.jpg
    peppers 007.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 18
  • peppers 008.jpg
    peppers 008.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 18
  • peppers 006.jpg
    peppers 006.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 16

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks for the input guys.

Ill keep tinkering with it then I guess... I really dont understand I should be just over ambient that thing is pulling a massive amount of air through the hood. Ill try putting the fan down towards the bottom and get it blowing around the tent to swirl the air around the bottom of the tent and see if it helps any.

I also though about adding ducting to the intake portion of the hood from the outside, and adding another fan to vent the tent itself. Really shouldnt be necessary though like I said I see plenty of peeps using these tents with 400+ CFM fans and 600's with their fans not running full bore and stable temps.

Either way, for now the plants are doing good so its not a huge issue but it will be once they start blooming if I dont get it down at least a little. Maybe the fan is sucking so hard its sucking that fresh air right out the tent as you say. If thats the case that little fan down below should help.

OZZ_

Veteran
BOOM - Got the temp thing under wraps.

On a tip from another board I placed the thermometer underneath a leaf so the light wasnt directly shining on it. 80 deg's .... exactly ambient temps. So I guess the plastic on the thermometer was heating up so much it was throwing off the reading. The laser gun of course would confirm the high temps cuz it reads surface temps not ambient air temps. Either way air temps around the plants are 80 deg's so we are good to go. Think Im going to buy a new thermometer. Maybe one with a probe on a wire or something so I can tuck it into the canopy for better readings.

............. and the grow continues. :trampoline:

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks bro ... Im all over it. They are looking better and better day by day. That should have been my first clue lol.

Leaf temps measured with a laser gun are 81-83 deg and ambient temps have been stable underneath the leaves at 80-83 deg's as well.

Good to go. After this grow I think Im going to load the tent up with some trinidad scorpion or 7pot brain strain. Booo-yahhh. Love my chilli's. Love growin' more. ;)

Thanks for the support everyone- even though its not MJ. :headbange

OZZ_

Veteran
Ive got some peeps on a pepper forum saying to plant these in 5 gallon buckets instead of using the 3 gallon squares I was going to. That would mean I have to trash 5 of them though cuz I think I could only fit 4 - 5 gallon buckets in that 4x4 tent lol ... that just doesnt seem right! :p

They say they get 60 pods per plant in 5 gallon buckets @ 4 plants = 240 pods. However, all 9 plants can fit in 3 gallon buckets ..... not sure what it would yield though. Plus, they are used to growing outdoors. The plants would get huge in 5 gallon containers though, maybe to big.

What do you guys think??

attachment.php

Attachments

• Growing (1 of 1).jpg
    Growing (1 of 1).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Latest posts