What's new

What do you do with your spent filter carbon?

day-o

It seems like it'd be a shame to just toss it. Can I till it into my flower bed for any benefit?

Cutty

I cut my filter in half and dump the pellets into a big plastic trashcan of charcoal briquettes. I just use them to barbecue with.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
you can actually heat it up and it reactivates.

I don't think I would do this in my oven BUT an outdoor bbq does work wonders.

I thought you have to get it up to like 600+ degrees for carbon to "reactivated"...... I thought I read you basically need a kiln to refire carbon.

I could be wrong though!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Closer to 1500ºF. 600º may buy some extra time but it won't be anywhere like new.

Beanfish

Closer to 1500ºF. 600º may buy some extra time but it won't be anywhere like new.

FB is correct. I've tried "reactivating" carbon about a year back. Note to self: don't do it in the house again. The house smelled like ass for 2 days.

It doesn't truly "reactivate", but more likely "refreshes" it a bit. I mixed 1:1 with new carbon and refilled my homemade scrubber. It works OK, but it will never be as good as virgin activated carbon.

I have some of those "kitty crystals" to try next time. I will probably try 1:1 virgin carbon/kitty crystals. I should just buy a 30# bulk bag, but that would probably be too easy!

Latest posts

Latest posts