What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Fruit tree growers in here

Budley Doright

Veteran
man this is some great discussion.....please keep it up.. If I live in Ohio, where would you think I should purchase from? a nursery from the south of me? or to the north? I know the nurserys have zone requirements for each fruit tree but I am kind of thinking it still might be a little adapted to where its been "grafted" and grown until shipped for sale.....maybe I am over thinking it to much....

I like Gurneys but they only have the standard variety of all fruit trees, which is only 2-4 feet tall, bare rootball................whereas some other nurseries I have found have fruit trees that are 6-7 foot tall and already fruiting....I am sure the fruit is minimal but still further advanced in years...more money, but older tree.

If Gurneys would sell those older trees I would be all over them.....

does anyone have a specific site that they order from?

Great ideas from everyone. Just another topic I intend to research till I am blue so I can get one step further to self sustainable living. thanks for everyones input.

Im in michigan.... I have a bunch of trees on order from a number of sources this year....

and also bought a bunch last year...

In total maybe 15 types of apples.... 15 plums.... 7 cherries...6 pears... its a bit too chilly for peaches here but a few of those too....

3 Grapes... 8 blueberries... 1 raspberries....

I only bought a couple trees of each type.... did some grafting last season mostly with honeycrisp apples.... pretty easy.....

This year Im putting in a small root stock bed with apple, cherry and pear root stocks.....

Then I can make my own trees..... using the scion treess I have bought and the root stocks Im growing.....

I can make some recommendations on where to get trees....

drop me a pm or post.....either way.....

gurneys is not the way.......

By the way in general the fruits that self pollinate will be most likely to get fruit from seeds.....

peaches are known for being the best for this.....

apples maybe the worst......

The bad thing about apples....is many are pollinated using crab apple trees......

knowing who both mom and dad are is important.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Wow this is a very is a very interesting thread, up in Vermont apples is about all I can do. I just got a cute dwarf lemon for my "sun room" but I'd love to be able to grow the real deal outside...

here is a link to some folks in northern vt and they have scion wood for hardy varieties.....

There are several very cold hardy plums and just a little interesting fact....

The most common fruit tree grown all over canada is the evans cherry....

the interesting thing about this tree is its on its own roots and suckers....

the suckers can be dug up and planted.....

Im also going to be dinking around with my blueberry bushes....(the kind you eat... um the berry you eat)

They are quite difficult to propagate....

Im going to try to air layer them with rapidrooters..to see if i can get roots......

Blueberries are cool cause they fruit thru the season....

One of the concepts of growing your own fruit trees and bushes...

use different varieties to prolong your seasons......

here are a few videos which you might find interesting....

The method I used was chip budding....

However I ordered both rootstock and scion wood in early spring and did the grafting just as the dandelions were opening.....

I had a high number of takes and well worth the effort.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd6L-8SY1eM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48uGvO5Er0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuSYbmSgRcY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UC5Dr3tWDc

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Good topics this.Burnt rope cheers for the links...I love mullberries.my mother planted a mullberry tree in our house over 20yrs ago..im thinking to plant 1 in my house now too..

WeedChuck

The most common fruit tree grown all over canada is the evans cherry....

the interesting thing about this tree is its on its own roots and suckers....

the suckers can be dug up and planted.....

One of the concepts of growing your own fruit trees and bushes...

use different varieties to prolong your seasons......

That is one good thing about non grafted, suckers are as good as the rest of the tree, couldent get away with that with a grafted.

and fruit during the season is great . for example

I have a peach(grafted) and an aprocot which is real early

I peach mid season (pit planted)

another aprocot a little later (couple of weeks)

the pomagrant fruit flowers a few times so once fruit starts ripening you will have a stedy flow of those for about 3 months (depending how many kids are in the neighborhood).

One oriental pear that is somewhat early . and 3 others that are a month or so later.

date trees (producing suckers galor) go from mid to late season

the plum i have is a late ripener.

the nectareen does not do squat here(grafted)

apples end of season here

persimmons finished after the first good frost.

so I have fruit all season long....i left out atleast a dozen other trees or fruiting vines, but i didnt want to go on forever, but you get my point.

Burntrope gave me a link to a great nursery...Vanwells I believe is the name.....GREAT product selection and i have talked to them a few times over the phone and they seem great to talk to.....I will for sure be ordering from them.

anyone have any other ideas who to buy from? ones that you have actually bought from?

Budley Doright

Veteran
Burntrope gave me a link to a great nursery...Vanwells I believe is the name.....GREAT product selection and i have talked to them a few times over the phone and they seem great to talk to.....I will for sure be ordering from them.

anyone have any other ideas who to buy from? ones that you have actually bought from?

Not fruit trees.....

but berries and asparagus and the like....

I just ordereded 100 caroline raspberry plants from them......
http://www.noursefarms.com/

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
We have Apple, Pear, Plum, and peach (New) and used to have an apricot, but it
got rot, and fell over.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
just planted 2 citrus trees (brown select satsuma and moro blood orange)
im so exited
:yay:

fart star

If you are considering an apple tree. Jazz is the new hot variety. Best eating apple I've ever had.

Jazz are an awesome apple. They taste great from the consumers perspective and hold up in storage better than most from a producers perspective. Jazz might be hard to find for a backyard tree though, I dunno. Its a regulated variety, controlled by the NZ breeders. They limit production in order to price fix the apples on the market. In other words its a commercial variety with limited acreage.

Different root stocks grow different trees. There are dwarf, semi-dwarf, and standard. As you can imagine, each root stock produces different sized trees with different vigor and traits. Dwarf and semi-dwarf are ideal for commercial applications on trellis where you have a planting density of 1500+ trees an acre. Root stocks are also being bred and tested for disease resistance.

s13sr20det

Veteran
just got a dwarf peach tree planted :D

picture.php

ive got to pull off ALL of the fruits this year? damn that sucks ass

Internode

I have a mature orange tree, produces about 75 per crop; a mature grapefruit, about 100 large blood fruits per crop; a new Medlar; a fig; and I have a Jackfruit too but in the greenhouse, it's almost impossible to grow them.

s13sr20det

Veteran
i took 30 pics trying to get this and they all turned out blurry, but i finally got it :D

picture.php

smells so good
(moro blood orange flower)

Latest posts

Latest posts