What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vitamin C and chlorine removal

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
I was randomly surfing on the web, when I came up with the information that Vitamin C is quite effective for the removal of Chlorine in the water.

Has anyone heard this too? It could be very useful to quickly, cheaply and effectively remove chlorine from our nutrient solutions.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Cl in small concentrations is beneficial to plants. Vitamin C has been shown to be beneficial to plants as well, but it's probably bad for the plant in high concentrations.

bakelite

The main concern of chlorine is with people growing organically. Chlorine is not good the for microbes and fungi that live in the soil and make the nutrients available to the plants.

Chlorine can be removed by either letting the water sit for 24-48 hours or by bubbling air through it. Vitamin C will work but I'm not sure of the amounts to add.

Chloramine is put into some drinking water and can mess up soil microbes. It will not de gas like chlorine will. Vitamin C will neutralize it. Dechlorinators are available at pet centers that will eliminate both chlorine as well as chloramine.

-bakelite

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ascorbic acid will work, but why add another chemical into the mix?

if you want chlorine out fast, use a R/O system

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
ascorbic acid will work, but why add another chemical into the mix?

if you want chlorine out fast, use a R/O system

A) Ascorbic acid is not just a chemical, but the KING of all chemicals.

B) A R/O system is MUCH more expensive, bigger, and it's not faster by any means.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
The main concern of chlorine is with people growing organically. Chlorine is not good the for microbes and fungi that live in the soil and make the nutrients available to the plants.

not completly true. Chlorine may bond to the nitrogen bound destroying Clorophil and thus causing discoloration of the leaves.

bakelite

not completly true. Chlorine may bond to the nitrogen bound destroying Clorophil and thus causing discoloration of the leaves.

The concentration of chlorine in tap water is not high enough to be an issue with leaves. Don't you think that millions of people watering their lawns with tap water would be concerned about it as well.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Ok, here is some new thinking for ya - chlorine in water is NOT bad for hydro, in fact it can be beneficial used properly. I have used fresh tap water with chlorine to do root rinses at transplant for three years now, it works like a charm, and does no harm. Freezerboy adds fresh tap to his nute mix, and can run at high temps because of it. And recently, I have added fresh tap water to my veg tubblers to keep root rot from beginning and it does no harm and seems to work.

I am not making an recommendations, just giving data worth thinking about. I am persuing this, because it seems effective. I have not been able to kill a plant with chlorine water, but my plants are healthy to start with.

H

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I was reading this just now and remembered this thread.

http://www.maximumyield.com/article_sh_db.php?articleID=485&yearVar=2009&issueVar=October

Carbon filters must be of the correct type that have a high quality granular activated carbon and allow a longer contact time which is required for chloramines removal. Even then not every trace may be removed, but levels are lowered enough to prevent problems. Use of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is also used in the industry, and by laboratories to remove chloramines from water after they have done their disinfection job.

C

coconaut

Haps is right, and I've seen many posts on this site that reiterate his point.
Stop fearing the chlorine boogieman everyone. Plants NEED chlorine. Chlorine naturally occurs in nature. The amount of chlorine in tap water is so miniscule. In my city, it's about 5 parts per million. This isn't enough to hurt your plants, this isn't even enough to kill microbes when making an organic tea with tap water.