What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sick WYD :( help appreciated

G

i have 4 WYD seedlings, and this morning when i went to check on them i noticed some of them are not looking so good...

here is a bad pic (sorry my digicam doesn't take good close ups, pic is fuzzy)

Click for Larger Image

overall the problems i am having are this:
1.) the leaves seem to be curling up on themselves, like they are trying to roll a joint.
2.) 2 of my plants have single leaves with tips that are turning yellow... not yet crusty brown...

I am not sure what is causing this... over/under watering Too close to lights?

my light setup is 2 30w CW CFLs, 2 15 18" floros... the plants were less than a half inch from the CFLs...

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suggest letting the soil dry out almost completely, just before you think the plant may begin to be desperate for water, then flush it with a light fertilizer. Get the water to pass through the container. You probably want to get about 1/2 to 1 cup of solution to go through the bottom of that pot/cup.

Also, increase air circulation while you wait for the soil to dry. This will quicken the plant's water usage.

Looks like poor drainage to me. Possibly poorly aerated soil. Next time use 50% of whatever that mix is, and add 50% perlite, so the mix will be 50/50 your current mix/perlite.

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
What CC said

What CC said

Yea they look too wet,let the soil dry almost all the way before watering again..................CC

G

thanks for the replies... i will leave the cabinet doors open overnight to help them dry out...

they are about 9 days old

i guess i will go ahead and get some nutes tonight bc i haven't used any yet...

should i maybe transplant them? like move them to a real 4-6" pot?

whenever i do transplant them should i transplant them into a different mix... such as a %50 perlite %50 other mix? Or should i stay with this mix that i have started with? I was thinking of going with BOGs rich mix... sam choice continuos feeding with blood meal and bone meal... but i am open to suggestions

G

1 more quick question...

one of the other seedlings has leaves that are purple on the underside... it looks healthy... should i assuem that the coloring is just part of this strain? or is it a sign of nute defficiency?

The Doc.

It's probably something else, I have 4 WYD's in the ground now, and none have any purple on them so far. but the pic looks like overwatering.

Last edited:
G

ok so i let them dry out, then transplanted them into larger pots, i used a mix of 30% perlite 70% soil with some bone meal and some blood meal. I watered them well with some water with epsom salts added... i think they look better. They are not all curling up, and all of the new growth looks perky and deep green. but my bottopm leaves still look not so well, light green/yellow(see pic)... i think it may be a magnesium deficiency, does this look like a magnesium defeciency?

Click for Larger Image

i also added a computer fan to my box to actively drag air out of the box, would it be better to have air brought in? or would it be better to have air actively blowing across the seedlings?

help a newbie out, good karma will be sent your way :)

Dave420

the new growth looks good -that is what you should worry about.I doubt there is a mag problem if you used epsom salts-also note they are kinda young for full strenth nutes-be careful.as for the fan -if you keep one blowing across the plants lightly it will make the stems stronger-this is a good thing.

The Doc.

only worry about the new growth, the old growth seldom recovers fully, if at all...if the new growth is looking good, then you've probably corrected the problem......:cool:

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
BobDull said:
1 more quick question...

one of the other seedlings has leaves that are purple on the underside... it looks healthy... should i assuem that the coloring is just part of this strain? or is it a sign of nute defficiency?

This is very common in seedlings, probably nothing to worry about.

GreatLakes THC