What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

wet weight vs dry weight

inept

What is everyone's average wet weight against their dry weight, approximitely what percentage is lost?

70% ?

Hippo

I expect around 20% of the wet yeild when dry.
I honestly cant see it being that differant for everyone else.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Yer 20% of wet weight.. I'v never checked though but that seems to be the genral rule.

Eggy

DrJay2001

now at peace
Only 20%? If I have a one ounce cola off the plant (say 30 grams) it's going to lose about 40% of that weight in the dry and cure.

Yours,
Dr. jay

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ripeness and the overall quality of the resin will make a significant difference in the final weight.

The riper it is, the more resin there is. Resin has very little water, so loses less weight than green plant material.

The higher quality resins (dryer to the touch while growing) are more resin and less water, so they dry up more heavily than the wet, greezy resins.

My AK47 is LOADED with resins. BUT, she's also a wet resined girl. She dries up much more light than you'd expect. Note that the ak dries up the lightest, and is the smelliest. The least smelly buds dry up the heaviest.

My Apollo11 girl is LOADED with resins, she's got semi-wet resins, less than the ak. She dries up like a soft piece of hash; no crumbling bud no matter how dry.

My incredible WW clone has a tiny bit of scent, and REALLY thick, glue-like resins, not very wet at all in mid-late flowering. She dried up very heavily because the resins are drier and don't lose much weight in the dry.

Our DSD2 had NO SMELL AT ALL. And the resins were so damned dry (as it flowered) that you couldn't get those resins to even smear onto your finger! The resins were of the consistency of candle wax at body temperature. Like the widow, she burns like a dream. Also attributable to the dry resin structure.

Last edited:

DrJay2001

now at peace
OK, folks, I see what you're saying. First, it's true that dense resinous buds lose less than others.

We stop watering/feeding about 2-5 days prior to harvest. This helps the buds tighten up and finish. It also reduces some of the water. Perhaps this is why we lose 60-70% of weight versus 80%.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

ps: boycott wet weed!

G

I find that I retain,on average,
25% > 30% of initial wet weight,
but I cut ALL stems and unnecessary
lumber out.....the indicas retain a bit more final weight than the sativas.

Cheers!

jerkypete49

Hi All. ew here. My first (and only) grow so far was about 26% dry vs. wet.

Second grow has got about 7-10 days to go yet. (Buds are getting nice and frosty :p )

Will report back whencuring of second harvest is done.

G

guest123

gotta agree on the indica ones loosing less in weight , just be nice if they yeilded like a sativa ... although ive cut down some sativa bud that has nearly made ;me fall over when i realised the weight of it wet , literally fall over that is , over the shoulder to carry in to dry , a lumberjack at heart ,,,lol ... id say three quarters water content would be pretty normal , but in the winter when its very dry the weight loss seems less for us as the product does not contain as much water it seems ... we are talking outdoor here of course ...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
CC i gotta say i love your last post.. one of the best i have seen anywhere for a while... you know yer shit pal. :)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I finally understand!!!!!!!!

water..... who woulda thought.. i always knew of the variance in resin qualities, but i just knew about it. i could see from a sample what quality it is , how many days it takes to dry out( if it even will). the best resin(bubbly) doesnt lose much water and change composition because there isnt much... this is true , you know this for sure? i know some resin can sit in a ball of hash for 2 weeks on the table and when u try to smoke it it will still flame and bubble like heck but mediocre stuff, you leave it overnight and it doesnt even flame or bubble the next day at all.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
the stickier the resin on the plant fresh the better. like if you touch it and get resin between 2 fingers.. lotsa water makes it not too sticky... really sticky resin is the driest.

i think that makes sense...

TokerBabe

So true Crazy Composer! White Widow and AK-47 is exactly what I just harvested at the end of January and that's exactly the case. :D

-TokerBabe