What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nanda Devi

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Nearly at the end of September Nanda Devi, but also OHz starts to flower at 51-52 N, is my experience

meizzwang

Nearly at the end of September Nanda Devi, but also OHz starts to flower at 51-52 N, is my experience

Good to know! This means there must be significantly earlier phenos in the population. What was your source? All of mine came from RSC. I think there was one other company selling nanda devi, but it's hard to tell if the population they originated are the same as RSC's, given that the location isn't specific.

Here's my Nanda Devi just starting to preflower! pics taken 10/1/20:
50405016478_9f28c2553d_c.jpg

50405735881_9094deaca0_c.jpg

ngakpa

Veteran
I think there was one other company selling nanda devi, but it's hard to tell if the population they originated are the same as RSC's, given that the location isn't specific.

our Nanda Devi is always from a farmer in Kumaon we have known for many years

for some odd reason only known to themselves, a group of Indian collectors many years later decided to name an accession they collected "Nanda Devi"

but it's from a totally different region

you can fill in the blanks yourself or read this for more background
https://landrace.blog/2018/08/30/nanda-devi-and-tall-tales-from-the-himalayas/

ngakpa

Veteran
From my experience, Nanda Devi consistently pre-flowers in September and finishes mid November, but you might get some that finish late October or early November too! It's worth the wait though, even the feral phenotype I found was very high quality and decently potent: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296087&page=9

If you want something that finishes end of October, I'd go for malana or parvati. It's apples to oranges though, they're similar but different.

this is emphatically not what anyone else has reported

consistently, Nanda Devi is reported to be a much earlier strain and finishes much earlier than strains such as Malana

moreover, it is harvested in late August through September in the Himalaya

whereas Malana etc should be harvested in October to early Nov

Bardo Eagle

The so late harvest from himalayan weed out of the himalayan mountains can be related from lack of monsoon season, there plants see monsoon like a Little autumn season(overcast,rainy,Wind)
Here behave like tropical sativa because not have the stimulus to do the things( reproduction)
It's not only about light hour

burningfire

Veteran

consistently, Nanda Devi is reported to be a much earlier strain and finishes much earlier than strains such as Malana

This is what has been keeping me from pulling the trigger, the description on the site is very interesting, I thought I could use it to introduce early genes to my cross while keeping the aromas more floral and the effects heady but I have seen this reflected in any of the grows that have been publicized.

The experiences I have with the nepalese is that there were plants that did not start flowering until mid september at 45N, the one I selected started to flower in early august, I took it down mid october but it could have gone a little longer so I can see nepalese plants going from late october to late november.

but the description clearly stated that there were two types of plants a more "indica" and a more "sativa" one, I have seen examples of a more "sativa" expression than the one I grew but with strong similarities.

ngakpa

Veteran
This is what has been keeping me from pulling the trigger, the description on the site is very interesting, I thought I could use it to introduce early genes to my cross while keeping the aromas more floral and the effects heady but I have seen this reflected in any of the grows that have been publicized.

The experiences I have with the nepalese is that there were plants that did not start flowering until mid september at 45N, the one I selected started to flower in early august, I took it down mid october but it could have gone a little longer so I can see nepalese plants going from late october to late november.

but the description clearly stated that there were two types of plants a more "indica" and a more "sativa" one, I have seen examples of a more "sativa" expression than the one I grew but with strong similarities.

not following your meaning, sorry

Nepalese charas plants are typically medium flowering, i.e. harvested during November

Nanda Devi is an unusually early Kumaoni domesticate, harvested from late August through September

for comparison, a Dutch grower who was looking at plants for medical use grew Nanda Devi and Parvati (ie, Himachali) together

his report was that Nanda Devi was much earlier

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Nepalese from Baglung starts to flower in July 51 N.Flowering time is around 10 weeks and at the end of flowering it turns purple.Pistils are red too.

burningfire

Veteran
not following your meaning, sorry

Nepalese charas plants are typically medium flowering, i.e. harvested during November

Nanda Devi is an unusually early Kumaoni domesticate, harvested from late August through September

for comparison, a Dutch grower who was looking at plants for medical use grew Nanda Devi and Parvati (ie, Himachali) together

his report was that Nanda Devi was much earlier

Sorry I did not make myself clear.

I'm going by what I'm seeing in this thread and other threads on icmag. Plantguy did not seem to get any early expressions.

I personally don't buy the low light environment affecting flowering onset.

"much earlier" is hard to quantify. I'm also trying to track down the caption to a picture on the website which described it as being a plant grown in spain .. in october if I recall correctly.

acespicoli

I still can't quite sex them. Some small nubbins but could go either way. I got these for an early flowering sativa, but in my environment early they are not. They have only half day direct sun(afternoon), are 20° north of the their original location and it's sea level here vs something like 3-4000m altitude. They showed water stress a bit easier than I thought they might so have had an automatic sprinkler with daily 20 minutes watering. They're planted rather thickly only due to limited space and because I wanted as many as possible for open pollination. When boys show balls I'll cut back heavily to open up the canopy and reduce competition while allowing enough branches to pollinate.

They look nice happy little garden, hope all is well imagine the cold that's coming will have them bulking up nicely best wishes for a nice harvest:plant grow:

Plantguy

Thanks for the interested in my grow, and all the other interesting and useful info. Most of the plants were tall, about 3 meters. All had thin sativa type leaves. Flowering started quickly with some and is now progressing, although quite fluffy and small. I topped the boys significantly to open up the canopy, and I bent the girls. They were just too tall and easily seen. Luckily they're not odoriferous. I'll post pics soon when I can

aliceklar

Looking forwards to the pics (and smoke report!). Nice job!

I've got a pack of Syrian, and a pack of Nanda Devi (both from TRSC) & am wondering which one to do next... So many seeds, so little time / space...

Plantguy

There's some white pistils, some apparently pollinated and one one with developing seeds. It seems the fastest male and female were nearby each other and the female has some pretty advanced seeds pods.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_095959.jpg
    IMG_20201004_095959.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20201004_100105.jpg
    IMG_20201004_100105.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20201004_100151.jpg
    IMG_20201004_100151.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20201004_100305.jpg
    IMG_20201004_100305.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 108

Plantguy

I cut the males about 2/3 when they showed, about something like 2-4 weeks ago. In the sunlight the main stems glittered. Handling any of these has been a bit different than anything else. My impression is that touching any part can help build up resin. I haven't seen that before on previous grows, all hybrids.

meizzwang

There's some white pistils, some apparently pollinated and one one with developing seeds. It seems the fastest male and female were nearby each other and the female has some pretty advanced seeds pods.

When were the female plants harvested, and did they all finish at the same time?

Plantguy

I only harvested the top 2/3 of the males to open up the canopy and for the girls to get more sunlight. The pictures were taken yesterday and the fastest girls are still some weeks before harvested.

meizzwang

From my experience, Nanda Devi consistently pre-flowers in September and finishes mid November, but you might get some that finish late October or early November too! It's worth the wait though, even the feral phenotype I found was very high quality and decently potent: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296087&page=9

If you want something that finishes end of October, I'd go for malana or parvati. It's apples to oranges though, they're similar but different.

I only harvested the top 2/3 of the males to open up the canopy and for the girls to get more sunlight. The pictures were taken yesterday and the fastest girls are still some weeks before harvested.

plantguy: sounds like your nanda devi will finish late October/mid November, similar to my experience.

herblux

Thanks for the update and images Plantguy!
Looking good.
So the males as well as females are in flower for 2-4 weeks now?

Plantguy

Thanks for the update and images Plantguy!
Looking good.
So the males as well as females are in flower for 2-4 weeks now?

That's right. And when I chopped off the upper parts of the males, the stems and leaves were shiny in the sunlight, sticky and somewhat aromatic. I can only assume it was resinous trichomes although they weren't big ones I usually see on flower. Even rubbing any part of them brings aroma and stickiness. A delicate aroma. This site has had hybrids for half a dozen years, and I've grown out from seed or clones dozens of "strains". I've never seen anything like that before. I'm thinking it's for the rubbing, when they manually rub the charas?

herblux

Thank you!

I like the sounds of that.
Let's see how they handle low temps and moisture in the coming weeks. Given how early they finish at their Himalayan home, I guesstimate them finishing mid November? Will be interesting to see.

By the way, have you got plans for next year with other RSC accessions? Since we're more or less on the same latitude we could possibly coordinate a little, to find out what finishes (if it finishes) around here. Although growing the same could be interesting too haha! I assume you're in Europe too?

Torn between Chitrali, Iranian, Tirah and a safer bet - Syrian for next season. Was very keen on the Nanda Devi, but since you're doing them already, I might leave them for now.
Currently doing Lebanese and they're very close to the finish line at 50°N W8 flower, fully seeded. Cut down males at the end of W3 flower, males started to drop pollen at the exact time females started to flower. No big variation in flowering onset, one week at the most.

Sorry for the OT chat, I think you need 50 posts here to send pm's? Don't wanna spam around just to pm guys.

Latest posts

Latest posts