What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Smart" electricity meters will get you

JeanTonerre

ehehe you will have to do like you have always do since all that years, be smarter than the cops ;) every 2 year they come with a thing that is supposed to fukup all our life... it will be the time now to consider the usage of LED against this system. LED is good against 2 big problem : no heat signatur and small electricity consummation. i know that LED is not at is best now, but its the future of growing.

A number of counter measures can be implemented.Put your lights on a flip or try LED lights which are supposed to be getting better ,but the price sucks

According to MerryPrankstr and his explanation, it sounds like a flip-flop in terms of masking at the smart-meter level is...a flop. I think they work fine in the old analog spinning disk meters, it would just appear as a continuous load 24 hrs a day. But according to MerryPrankstr a few posts back, there is a "glitch in the matrix" evident from the data the smart meters gather when a ballast "flips" rooms/sides from the frontside 12/12 to the backside 12/12.

Ahhh, I am pretty much an indoor master grower/veteran - but my skills may dwindle in the next ten years based upon legislative risk. I guess I better start learning how to do outdoor. "Just" (as if it is as easy as just deciding to) grow 6 10# plants like Butte, TomHill and the other enviable outdoor masters!

I like the get the F&$^ off the grid solar idea. But you may need to sweat :hide: :clock watch:a few months on a high amperage project to gather the capital needed to swing the self sustaining closed circuit electrical system however.

I thought I'd just throw my $.02 into the info pool here.

The way these meters can determine what you use is by looking at how you use electrical power. Not all devices behave he same way as a load. Incadesent lamps are almost pure resistive as are heating coils. Motors and HID lamps are mostly inductive loads.

Resistive and Inductive loads change the time relationships between voltage and current. These time based relationships are recorded along with the amp draw. Why? Because inductive loads load down various component of the power grid in different ways so this info helps the power company balance it's loads.

But it also is very telling in what devices you are using. HID lamps have a very large inrush current along with that inductive load. This inrush current lasts as long as the lamps are starting and are not masked by flip-flopping lamps, much to the opposite of what is commonly held as a truth.

Power conditioners do not mask power consumption as the only flatten out the voltage as seen by the utility. The Inductive Load is still seen by the power provider due to the disturbed time relationship between voltage and current.

Hope this lights up some of the darker corners of this discussion.

M.P.

Very informative!

MeanBean

No problem, I'll just buy a $2000 battery, charge it on a constant flow. then switch my whole grow op to DC, run it off the battery.

If they could detect whats using electric it should come up battery charger. There's no way to tell how many cells are in a battery by it's charger.

just get a super quite generator if you are forced to get a smart meter.

Generators are very expensive to run, and generators rated for continuous use are very expensive to buy.

Not a very practical solution for anyone not running a huge, for profit grow, unfortunately.

I

ijimunot

Power use assesment

Power use assesment

I went to my local power coop to ask about a high electric bill. The woman sat me at a PC terminal and phoned my meter.
I watched in real time when my fridge and AC kicked on and off. I phoned home and asked my girl to walk through the house and turn on and off all electrical equipment in each room.
The woman gave me a printed graph with time signature, amp draw and power use of each electronic device and light.
I packed up and moved to an area with the old analog meters. Power companies have a great reputation for sharing your information with authorities.

Stinkymutt

We have had the smart meters for a while now as well , NE U.S. . They implemented them to "cut costs" by not having to pay meter readers and such. At the same time they fired over half of there linemen but kept the high paid "floaters" in the co. to finish there time out. But anyway there has been no problems yet . Ive been told that this power company is to greedy to care as long as LEO dont come asking. Im running 600w light and a 1500 w heater on a thermostat so it comes on when needed only . I have seen a print out from the power co. that detailed how much power was being used and when . It was from a freinds house who was trying to cut back on usage and they gave it to him to determine what was using the power (he doesnt grow) .

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
i think the p.co. will find alot of power thieves with this device, demand=4x the draw? then they go house by house.

i have a bad feeling thieves are stealing ALOT of power, collectively.

if they catch more thieves they might not focus so much on people paying the bill.
the end is in sight. and theres too many people for them to raid everyone.

vta

Veteran
Power conditioners do not mask power consumption as the only flatten out the voltage as seen by the utility. The Inductive Load is still seen by the power provider due to the disturbed time relationship between voltage and current.

Hope this lights up some of the darker corners of this discussion.

M.P.

Good post!

I wonder if a UPS back-up [uninterpretable power supply] would work? I think it would....All the power is coming from the battery and the battery gets charged from the outlet. So the only trace would be that of my battery getting charged...right?

Good post!

I wonder if a UPS back-up [uninterpretable power supply] would work? I think it would....All the power is coming from the battery and the battery gets charged from the outlet. So the only trace would be that of my battery getting charged...right?

Excellent question - I have thought about this as well, my concerns are:

- is the inverter in a consumer UPS the proper type to drive a HID
- would the HID actually just be running straight off the household current when the UPS was plugged in, rather than from the battery, which would then be charged (surely this is the case, or the batteries would need to be replaced more often)

If anyone knows, I would be interested in the answers.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
we had a smart meter and ran about 2kw of flowering with no problem. id imagine you could probably safely run 4-5k watts on a 2.5kw flip every 12 hours. so your house is continually running 2.5kw. have a few flatscreens and computers set up around the house to justify the power usage.

T

tokinafaty420

You heard it fellas! If you grow marijuana, one of the worlds best carbon sequestering plants, you are a terrorist and you are the reason the globe is warming!

:joint:

I'll just install a shit load of solar panels and supply my own electricity. Let the little dial on the meter go backwards and let those sneaky fuckers pay me. I've actually been thinking about doing that regardless to the peeping bitches.

Really don't have too much to worry about. Hell a clothes dryer will burn through 4800 watts an hour. Water heater something like 3600w.

ningning

how is you guys going?i'm new here,living in china.so sorry for my bad english.
i serch smart electricity meters and lead me here.
i was grown many years before,and now i want get this hobby back,so i buy many stuffs,then i find i'm in a smart electrity meters house,so i seach an older meter house in my city.but,fuck,all city even village was under smart electrity meters control.
i know a guy,who get catch for only 1plant grown in his tent in his home!cause in china we don't use much electricity as you do,and we are so serious on drug.then i do some study of smart meters,it's really can get all your shit,they know you much then you do.so i quit grown on electricity way.
talk about solar power,it's a good way for you guys,but not for me.i live in a city floorsalb not like you have a terraced house,i can't change the building structure,and with out roof,there are no space for solar board.have you heard about light-pipe?i'm not sure is that correct name in english?it's like a tube to lead light for illuminate,usually used in underground parking and factory,have you guys used it as replenish illuminate before?how's it going?
and what other none electrical illuminate solutions have your guys know?
diesel generator is not a good choose for my,lt's too lould,and in our country you can't buy fuel with a tent,it's only for car,which with so many authentications.and the cost is so much,i'm poor. i can't pay these,even a solar system lift net can cut my leg off.
may be i live in an wrong county.do you guys know some about nepal? is that a friendly county to growner?

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suggest to move if you can, but to be honest with you the China model is coming to the west soon, we are just a little behind you.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm seeing a huge spike in LED sales ;-)
Or, if the energy signature give it away for LED grow lights, we'll all be growing with SILs very soon. They are in every household anyways... if only it were'nt for that tell tale 12/12 rhythm...
I'm getting solar panels and a bunch of batteries wired up hahaha
CC

ningning

i hate smart shit?smart phone?smart elec meters?i don't know about computer?internet?stuff?i don't trust them?now you can't live with out your phone?this little shit run your life?he know what you think?what you talk?even he decides what you should think?you should talk?china is strong?powerful?but people was raised like pig by evil big IT company?the internet is shit?the phone is cheap?so many idiot could use it and make garbage views?the net is use for make money and fuck?i don't know what to say
do you known the tree is less?and the grass is repace them on this earth?grass has vile strategy so they can kill trees?like idiot was poison the internet and make they bigger?they spread their shit to make things worse?i believe all things are will of god?i try to understand what god want?i don't know?i think god want us die

Latest posts

Latest posts