What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freezing nutrient solution

bobert

So I just shook the jar of water with a Humboldt countys micro/bloom ice cube. It literally looks like a snow globe, shit floating everywhere. Fail!

Maxibloom is next.

Depending on skills, you can control a fridge or freezer by wiring an SSR into cable and switch with something like STC-1000 Thermostat controller.

Or use TEC devices.
I build my own equipment, which is complex and exspensive but I know it is not going fail.

You can buy prebuilt version good for about 25 Ltr up to 30c ambient: https://jbapump.com/Product/EnShowProduct110.html

Fridges and freezers work good for climate control.
Here is some info on fridge conversion for brewing.

https://www.brewpi.com/fridge-hacking-guide/

I know this is likely overkill for the questioner and off the ice subject, but this is the best realistic answer for the bigger probs

That's actually along the lines of what I was thinking. I really only need the water cooled by about 15-20F so it would be a little overkill. But it's definitely a good idea!

Maby a finned condenser/radiator type cooler, plumbed to a water pump. Placed inside either a fridge or container with ice, and a thermostat probe in the reservoir.

All you'd need is a 1/10 hp chiller. Hook buckets with plants together the same way you already did, put the pump in one reservoir bucket, plumb through the chiller and into the other reservoir bucket, bang homemade u shaped undercurrent. I bet you can do it for less than $300. There are stores that sell used equipment Trying to do it with ice or bottles is just asking for a failure. I've been there, it sucks when you can't leave for a couple hours. It might not be feasible to build it this round but is definitely doable next time. Good luck.

See what I mean though. It's not that I don't want a chiller, I definitely do! But for around $300?! I can probably build what was mentioned above for around 100$. I can't really justify spending more than I have in the entire grow, including lights and nutrients, on a single chiller.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If you have a/c, hang your airpumps in front of the cold air outlet. Depending on your rez size and the amount of air you're pumping, you may need to heat the res. ;)

bobert

Lol, that's a good one! I don't have a/c but I could position the air pumps close to the intake fan. Which is noticeably cooler air.

Home-Grown

If you have a/c, hang your airpumps in front of the cold air outlet. Depending on your rez size and the amount of air you're pumping, you may need to heat the res. ;)

The other option is to run a coil of tube in a container filled with water inside a fridge.

I have plans for a beer fridge with round hole cut through the top.
A pipe will drain nutrient from NFT hydro system sitting on fridge,
into nutrient res in fridge.

The feed pipe from pump runs inside the drain.

For cutting I use a thermo controlled freezer with 23watt baynet fluro inside that supplies heat against the thermostatically controlled compressor. Not simple, but I have < +/- .4C across seasons. Can be done

Chemdawggy Dawg

Yeah I guess you could fuck around to save $100 up front and use a fridge that uses 4 times the electricity and takes up 10x the space instead if something specific to what you're trying to achieve. Why didn't I think of that? If you spent less than $300 on your setup I wouldn't expect much from it. I think Douglas idea might work for such a small amount of nutes.

bobert

The other option is to run a coil of tube in a container filled with water inside a fridge.

I have plans for a beer fridge with round hole cut through the top.
A pipe will drain nutrient from NFT hydro system sitting on fridge,
into nutrient res in fridge.

The feed pipe from pump runs inside the drain.

For cutting I use a thermo controlled freezer with 23watt baynet fluro inside that supplies heat against the thermostatically controlled compressor. Not simple, but I have < +/- .4C across seasons. Can be done

This is pretty much the idea I had. A coil or finned style radiator in a fridge or container with ice. Being pumped from one reservoir to the other connected reservoir.

Yeah I guess you could fuck around to save $100 up front and use a fridge that uses 4 times the electricity and takes up 10x the space instead if something specific to what you're trying to achieve. Why didn't I think of that? If you spent less than $300 on your setup I wouldn't expect much from it. I think Douglas idea might work for such a small amount of nutes.

Bud. I told you, I appreciated your advice I'm not sure why you're getting snotty, or maby that just sounded snotty to me. But I'll play ball.

OK so. 2 plants, 2 different reservoirs. Equals 2 300$ chillers if I truly went that route. Unless chillers have 2 separate input and outputs that don't intersect so I can connect 2 reservoirs to it.

Jeez now it's 600$? Why didn't I think of that, great idea huh?

The amount you spend on your setup definitely shouldn't determine your expectations, at least in my frugal world.

Chemdawggy Dawg

Hey I already told you how to make a steup that would work for all 4 buckets with a $200 used chiller and a $25 pump. Those prices are top dollar. If you can't afford that get a job. I feel like the info i gave you is worth $300. You obviously don't want to learn anything. Here's some advice. Drill a few holes in your systems and fill your buckets in with promix and run 4 plants with that. You'll be more successful that way. Your jib isn't cut for hydro. By the way I think the guy with the refrigerator idea and 7 posts is a troll, just so you know. Good luck with your bullshit grow. Douche

Last edited:

bobert

Well this turned into a real shit show thanks to fucktard there. This is my last reply to you so I hope you enjoy!

I really don't know what your problem is dude. This thread is about ice. Not if I get a chiller or not. But if I told you I did would you shut the fuck up already?

I have to explain literally every single aspect of why I'm not getting a chiller?

Every plant is different, even the same strain, except clones. So doing a control bucket with the same pH/ppm for multiple plants is not my style. Maby with clones but not with seed which is what I'm doing.

300$ worth of advice is saying get a chiller? Lol. I'm not dumb I know chillers exist. And I obviously don't want to learn? Have you even said anything here of value except, get a chiller?

Seems like your job isn't cut out for giving advice, seeing how you get pissy if no one takes it.

Good luck with your bullshit "advice"

Home-Grown

This is pretty much the idea I had. A coil or finned style radiator in a fridge or container with ice. Being pumped from one reservoir to the other connected reservoir.

I was not sure what you meant by using radiator.
Got it now! Of course you could use a fan on the radiator to speed cooling.

There is no right or wrong way, just people who get the job done.

I use whats available to get the job done.

Have fun

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hey I already told you how to make a steup that would work for all 4 buckets with a $200 used chiller and a $25 pump. Those prices are top dollar. If you can't afford that get a job. I feel like the info i gave you is worth $300. You obviously don't want to learn anything. Here's some advice. Drill a few holes in your systems and fill your buckets in with promix and run 4 plants with that. You'll be more successful that way. Your jib isn't cut for hydro. By the way I think the guy with the refrigerator idea and 7 posts is a troll, just so you know. Good luck with your bullshit grow. Douche
Wow! Angry much? Maybe it's time you lit up!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Well this turned into a real shit show thanks to fucktard there. This is my last reply to you so I hope you enjoy!

I really don't know what your problem is dude. This thread is about ice. Not if I get a chiller or not. But if I told you I did would you shut the fuck up already?

I have to explain literally every single aspect of why I'm not getting a chiller?

Every plant is different, even the same strain, except clones. So doing a control bucket with the same pH/ppm for multiple plants is not my style. Maby with clones but not with seed which is what I'm doing.

300$ worth of advice is saying get a chiller? Lol. I'm not dumb I know chillers exist. And I obviously don't want to learn? Have you even said anything here of value except, get a chiller?

Seems like your job isn't cut out for giving advice, seeing how you get pissy if no one takes it.

Good luck with your bullshit "advice"
No it's about cooling your hydro set up!

Although, ice cools a liquid (drinks) it also dilutes that drink. That is why many aficionados prefer to have their water on the side, adding a little water being careful to compensate for the thaw that will ensue. Many purists use "whiskey rocks" (kept cold in the freezer, until req'd) = no dilution.

The cheapest method is to use a 2l frozen bottle of H2O. It will do the trick. Just think of 'em as "whiskey rocks".

As you gather experience and reduce your (initial) set up costs, by all means look at other more suitable venues. FWIW (lessons from my 1st grow) having different starins in the same tent present certain scheduling problems. e.g 4 different plants = 4 different set on needs. I understand that even plants with the same genetics can have different grow habits and needs. I simply want to KISS as much as I can. :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Lol, that's a good one! I don't have a/c but I could position the air pumps close to the intake fan. Which is noticeably cooler air.
Without a/c, or a source of cold air, you're best switching to a Roots-Out type hydro setup. Systems flooding or drenching the roots several times a day can tolerate much higher heat levels. They actually do very well at 75F.

Look in to switching to buckets of clay pebbles and a drip system your next run. I've used them off and on over the years and they work quite well. You may even be able to build two systems side by side, for separate cycles. :)

Home-Grown

Hydro can be really good or painfully unforgiving, and never grow bonsi and pine trees together because everything suffers. Your on point :)

bobert

I'm still continuing the experiment. Maxibloom is being melted in a jar right now. Maxibloom has a lighter overall color compared to Humboldt micro/bloom. I didn't see any separation or darker colors throughout the ice cube so that's a good sign!

I think I found something that will help. So they make reusable ice packs for athletes. Big enough to cover a person's back or chest. With 2 velcro straps on each side. Says it lasts up to 6hrs, which is half the time my lights are on. For only 20$

Wow! Angry much? Maybe it's time you lit up!

Right!? Glad I'm not the only one who thought his reply was rude.

No it's about cooling your hydro set up!

Although, ice cools a liquid (drinks) it also dilutes that drink. That is why many aficionados prefer to have their water on the side, adding a little water being careful to compensate for the thaw that will ensue. Many purists use "whiskey rocks" (kept cold in the freezer, until req'd) = no dilution.

The cheapest method is to use a 2l frozen bottle of H2O. It will do the trick. Just think of 'em as "whiskey rocks".

As you gather experience and reduce your (initial) set up costs, by all means look at other more suitable venues. FWIW (lessons from my 1st grow) having different starins in the same tent present certain scheduling problems. e.g 4 different plants = 4 different set on needs. I understand that even plants with the same genetics can have different grow habits and needs. I simply want to KISS as much as I can. :tiphat:

That's very true!

I really like how you explained that. I was actually researching different "whiskey rocks" or freezable items I could use yesterday.

I can definitely relate to running different strains at once. I had a 120 day sativa next to a 60 day indica under the same light. Indica was half the height. Sativa was touching the reflector hood before the indica was done. Was not fun at all. Learned my lesson!

KISS, or even keep it cheap stupid, is a great way to go about it!

Without a/c, or a source of cold air, you're best switching to a Roots-Out type hydro setup. Systems flooding or drenching the roots several times a day can tolerate much higher heat levels. They actually do very well at 75F.

Look in to switching to buckets of clay pebbles and a drip system your next run. I've used them off and on over the years and they work quite well. You may even be able to build two systems side by side, for separate cycles. :)

That sounds like a plan, my temps are pretty much right there, +5f . I haven't played with anything other than dwc and soil so I'd definitely have to do my homework. Seems more forgiving than dwc temp wise, plus I probably wouldn't need a chiller=simpler setup!

Hydro can be really good or painfully unforgiving, and never grow bonsi and pine trees together because everything suffers. Your on point :)

I appreciate that :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
That's very true!

I really like how you explained that. I was actually researching different "whiskey rocks" or freezable items I could use yesterday.

I can definitely relate to running different strains at once. I had a 120 day sativa next to a 60 day indica under the same light. Indica was half the height. Sativa was touching the reflector hood before the indica was done. Was not fun at all. Learned my lesson!

KISS, or even keep it cheap stupid, is a great way to go about it!
Improvise, adapt and overcome :) All you had to do good buddy is raise the Indica on a pedestal :dance013:

I am currently running Green crack, Trainwreck (A) and Dutch Treat. Gdp is still in the veg tent. The Tw was an auto, forgot about that. It was ready to rock and roll at week 4.5 To me, veg doesn't start until 3rd set of leaves or 10-14 days. Week 1 of veg is therefore a plant that is 2 weeks old. IOW a seedling for the 1st 2 weeks.

The auto flipped 1st. The Dt (Indica) grew to 2 feet tall and lanky. She was LST and is curently residing @ 29") Both it and the Gc showed mature pre-flowers at week 5-6. The Gc has Indica characteristics??? Compact and bushy, currently in week5 of flower. The auto remained small. The entire plant is a cola the size of a pop can (week6 of flower, only now starting to cloud over). The Gc is sitting on an upside down 2gal pot, whilst the Tw is sitting on a 2 gal pot with an extra 4 inch pedestal. All 3 plants are receiving 700-750 ppfd (metered) and are happy. I still have 2 feet of travel left on the light (lots). The Gc has also received LST.

The Sativas (Gc and Tw) were intended to be outdoors but the delay of the bill made that impossible. Furthermore, the city has passed a nuisance bylaw, no growing outdoors (smell). We will see how that pans out in the future. My strain of choice is Harlequin (sat). I'll have to practice on that one and see if I can grow her indoors.

The Gdp is still vegging, being maintained @ 18/6. Once this grow is done, I will SCROG the daylights out of that one. She will easily fill the tent (believe/hope), I believe that she will provide a good yield.

Will I go through this nause again? Hell no! :) Too hard to troubleshoot, possible leaf problems because they are all of a different colour :(

bobert

The maxibloom jar is crystal clear. Nothing floating around. I think that's the winner! It'll be a couple days before I continue the experiment with Gh micro/bloom.

Improvise, adapt and overcome All you had to do good buddy is raise the Indica on a pedestal :dance013:

I am currently running Green crack, Trainwreck (A) and Dutch Treat. Gdp is still in the veg tent. The Tw was an auto, forgot about that. It was ready to rock and roll at week 4.5 To me, veg doesn't start until 3rd set of leaves or 10-14 days. Week 1 of veg is therefore a plant that is 2 weeks old. IOW a seedling for the 1st 2 weeks.

The auto flipped 1st. The Dt (Indica) grew to 2 feet tall and lanky. She was LST and is curently residing @ 29") Both it and the Gc showed mature pre-flowers at week 5-6. The Gc has Indica characteristics??? Compact and bushy, currently in week5 of flower. The auto remained small. The entire plant is a cola the size of a pop can (week6 of flower, only now starting to cloud over). The Gc is sitting on an upside down 2gal pot, whilst the Tw is sitting on a 2 gal pot with an extra 4 inch pedestal. All 3 plants are receiving 700-750 ppfd (metered) and are happy. I still have 2 feet of travel left on the light (lots). The Gc has also received LST.

The Sativas (Gc and Tw) were intended to be outdoors but the delay of the bill made that impossible. Furthermore, the city has passed a nuisance bylaw, no growing outdoors (smell). We will see how that pans out in the future. My strain of choice is Harlequin (sat). I'll have to practice on that one and see if I can grow her indoors.

The Gdp is still vegging, being maintained @ 18/6. Once this grow is done, I will SCROG the daylights out of that one. She will easily fill the tent (believe/hope), I believe that she will provide a good yield.

Will I go through this nause again? Hell no! :) Too hard to troubleshoot, possible leaf problems because they are all of a different colour :(

Seems like you've got a nice array of strains, with a lot of differences, at least you can improvise/tailor to their needs. Even though it's difficult. I wish you luck :)

With mine, I tried to even out the different canopy heights throughout the grow, but my setup at that time was completely different and one of my 1st. It was 2 single 5 gal dwc buckets, on a little tray on wheels, so I could move it in and out of the 3x3ft walk in closet. I would check the res by lifting the plant in the net pot lid, so I couldn't tie down any branches except to the bucket lid. Like you said, I'll never do that again!

Now, I do control reservoirs with scrog screens so canopy and reservoir maintenance is a breeze. Just need colder water.

Every run is definitely a learning experience, I really appreciate everyone here for letting me pick your brains, except that one guy lol! :biggrin: :tiphat:

Last edited:

bobert

Just placed gh micro/bloom into the freezer. Will do an update tomorrow.

I took some temp readings 1hr before lights off.
84f at canopy
77f at bucket lid (outside of lid)
68f at air intake fan
71f in res

I positioned the air pumps right next to the intake fan. The res temp before doing anything was 74f.

Even though it's only a loss of 3f. I didn't spend a penny. :)

Thank you for the idea Douglas! :tiphat:

Now I'm sure I can get the temps in the 60's with some "whiskey rocks" :woohoo: