What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs on buds

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Mantids are awesome they eat a bunch of crappy bugs, but they tend to follow the food so it's hard to keep them around.

Hookahhead

Mantids are awesome they eat a bunch of crappy bugs, but they tend to follow the food so it's hard to keep them around.

Yeah I always enjoy seeing them, they have been fun to watch the past couple of days. I was surprised that they’ve stuck around and even weathered a few storms on the plants. There’s a never ending buffet of bugs here in the jungle.

I just shared these pictures in a different post, but they’re too cool not to share here too. I was cleaning up some lowers when I came across this bug. It looks like a predatory fungus has stopped it in its tracks. This is my first time seeing this in the garden!

picture.php

picture.php

buzzmobile

Veteran
Mantids are simple to hatch, raise and release. Order some egg cases and put them in brown paper sacks. In a week to ten days there will be tiny mantids by the score in the bags. If they are not released at the tiny stage, eventually the biggest baddest mantid of the bunch will emerge.:biggrin:

Hookahhead

Anyone know what this one is? The spotted leaves are due to spider mite damage, so I’m hoping it’s some sort of mite vacuum.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

buzzmobile

Veteran
I have the frog version of your toad on duty.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PB251824.jpg
    PB251824.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 35
  • PB251828.jpg
    PB251828.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 34

Hookahhead

I saw this cool spider on my plant the other day.

picture.php

I got excited because I saw the same one on a bud, which always makes for a nice picture. However, when I zoomed in to take the picture, I saw there was another insect possibly eating the spider!?!?

picture.php

picture.php

The spider was definitely dead, I picked it off the plant today. Can anyone ID the insect? Is it a type of lacewing? I saw the same thing chilling on the bud of a different plant a day or 2 ago, notice there is a little dead spider in this picture. I see some crazy shit growing in the jungle. I love it!
picture.php

buzzmobile

Veteran
The spider was definitely dead, I picked it off the plant today. Can anyone ID the insect? Is it a type of lacewing? I saw the same thing chilling on the bud of a different plant a day or 2 ago, notice there is a little dead spider in this picture. I see some crazy shit growing in the jungle. I love it!
View Image

You have photographed a rarity it seems. I suspected it was a kind of assassin bug, but I had never seen one that looked like that. My friends Google and Nat Geo helped.:tiphat:

Giraffe Assassin Bug

Hookahhead

Thanks buzzy, I knew you’d know what it is. I’m not sure I’m thrilled about this, this species of assassin bug seems to prey primarily on spiders... Crazy stuff Mother Nature!