What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Storing hash

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you guys store your bubble hash? also how to tell when all the moisture is gone? within the hash. I just leave it on the counter wrapped in a paper towel.

I store mine in both air tight mason jars and also I go to world market and buy the teas in the metal tin air tight cans. They say like Blackberry Sage on the label and its real decorative. Puts a great cure to the hash(bud too) and adds to the taste. Remove the tea bags of course,haha. Just burp the jars for about two weeks. I tried plastic screw lid jars at first and got some mold after I thought it was fully dry. Wont use those again. The mason jars are happening for long term. Have some going on 6 months now and taste is out of this world.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have noticed the hash sweating to me that's moisture in it. Before I store it I need to get all the moisture out I dont want any decomp. The hash is getting a darker color.

O

Oxirous

You can remove excess moisture with silica beads and they can be re-used over and over. All you have to do is pop them in the oven @ 300 degrees F until they turn clear again.

-O

I have noticed the hash sweating to me that's moisture in it. Before I store it I need to get all the moisture out I dont want any mold. The hash is getting a darker color.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need some more Ideas. I have seen Hash sealed in wax. My problem is hash is Organic it will eventually decompose over time and degrade. I could freeze it? For all you guys that have large bricks of hash how do you store it long term?

I was always told the worst thing for hash, is actually light. Heat and air are obviously also a problem. I would store it in a cool dry place in an air tight and lightproof jar. Vacuum seal the mason jar if you plan on keeping it for years. I have some bubble over a year old that was just kept in a mason jar out of the heat and light. Stuff is still great. As far as moist hash goes, why is it moist? I wouldn't be smoking let alone saving moist bubble hash. If there's water there's mold, and more to follow. You need to dry it proper from the get go. It should be bone dry within 72(roughly) hours of making it. You gotta dry it before you attempt to press it or it's pretty much ruined IMHO.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hash always has water in it . The problem is getting it all out. O%h2o. I store in a vac jar but Im a bit concered as if I get mold I just wasted 60g of top shelf hash. I want to prevent that. There only dry or wet my friend and you cant see the water thats left. I can bet you will still have moisture after 72 hrs.. I had a nice ball that was put ito a vac jar after 5 days and you could see the hash sweating. The larger the quantity the longer it takes to day you cant just say 72 hrs. If I was to give someone help I would say nothong less the 5 days. Pressing hash when wet is not ruined as you say just dry it more. As long as there is no mold you are fine. Keep drying keep pressing over and over. Back to my original question Long term storage of the Bubble. Bubbleman if you see this please let me know the best wau to do this.

i think we just have different ways of doing things..... i was just trying to say if u lay it out gently real thin across some cardboard and leave it out for a few days it's usually dry. i'm from a pretty dry climate. i feel you on 5 days, better safe than sorry. that's probably a better estimate. When you say you put a ball into a jar and it sweat, I belive you, I've seen it. I would just argue that it was still wet before you put it in there. As far as more quantity taking more time to dry, I disagree again, because the way I lay it out it doesn't really matter the amount. The more you have the more room u need because it's all laid out pretty even. Again, not arguing, I think just different ways of doing things.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you do it like bman.I dont have any issues with it not in powder form I like it chewy for lack of a better word. I get blazed on it this is all that matters.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
To properly store hash you need to dry it out properly. I personally chop it up when it is still wet out of the bag and put it on cardboard. Let it sit out til dry and you wanna push it around the first day or two cause the cardboard under the hash will be moist. We also used to get towels and put the hash in the pressing pad that comes with the bags and step on it with the towel on both sides of the pad.
Once properly dried you can store it however.

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
why do u store u hash in vacuum sealed jar if there is still water in it???

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there is no water in it it dryed for 5 days and then I pressed it into a big ball. My concern if you would have read the thread is decomp. The hash is very hard but if I work it it becomes plyable. I have seen others hash start to decompose over time. I don't want that to happen to mine since I cant smoke 50g very fast. It's all good guys I got my answer from Bman.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, what exactly did bubble man say? I'm curious now.
What ^ he said ^..Hammerhead I made a volume of bubble this year..a few ounces is volume for me. Mine was dried on card board for a few days but is still pliable. It has some moisture in it still I think. I've read up on vacuum sealing. It seems if there is no air left there can be no mold form thus one could store at room temp in a dark place. I'm thinking of trying that. I know this is an old thread, Anyone have any comments on this...peace DD.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What ^ he said ^..Hammerhead I made a volume of bubble this year..a few ounces is volume for me. Mine was dried on card board for a few days but is still pliable. It has some moisture in it still I think. I've read up on vacuum sealing. It seems if there is no air left there can be no mold form thus one could store at room temp in a dark place. I'm thinking of trying that. I know this is an old thread, Anyone have any comments on this...peace DD.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38659&pictureid=1878022View Image

View Image

I rarely use bubble anymore. Its all pressed into rosin now.

Freeze ur bubble and then microplane it and dry. The finer the particles the better it will dry. Once dry store in jar. Keep in low heat environments.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I rarely use bubble anymore. Its all pressed into rosin now.

Freeze ur bubble and then microplane it and dry. The finer the particles the better it will dry. Once dry store in jar. Keep in low heat environments.

Wow buddy didn't expect that fast of a reply in this ole thread. I'll look up microplane..new one on the Doobster. I just came across this I'll add below. I have a rosin press and thought about pressing it, do you recommend my doing that for long term? Good to see you still cranking out the seed brother, anything for my winter grow...peace..DD

"PRESSING
The preparation of cannabis resins into the form commonly known as hashish is generally referred to as "pressing". The actual method of preparation, along with the presence of either contaminants or adulterants, will be one of the prime determining factors of the quality and potency of your hashish.

Pressed resin powders, along with those contaminants and adulterants, is compacted together to form a solid piece of product. This way, the pressed hashish can be stored and transported much more easily. The conditions by which you store your hashish directly affect the potency as well as the flavor. Improper storage strongly influences the changes in the chemical make-up, and can thereby cause degeneration and loss of potency.

There are two forms of pressing hashish that are commonly used. The first is the hand method, while the second is mechanically pressed. Hand pressing is generally performed with the palm of one hand and the palm or thumb of the other. This warms and compresses the resin powder into a solid piece. Hand rubbed or pressed hash alsa serves to drive off excess moisture.Hand pressing is the easiest and most preferred method of pressing resin powders, causing the release of the volatile aromatic terpinoids-which is what gives the hashish its flavor and fragrance, or bouquet.

Machine pressing is used to process large volumes or quantities of resin powders. There are a wide variety of different machines, from high-tech to extremely low tech, some of which are book bonding presses, automotive jacks, and even a simple boot-like the one you might wear on your foot! Resin presses put an extremely high amount of pressure on the resin powder, however, it does not cause the breakage of every gland. this would evaporate the essential oils and affect the potency in a rapid manner.

Hand pressed hashish is usually darker and more pliable that the machine pressed varieties, since it has been worked longer and more resin glands have been broken. It is the breaking of the glands (and subsequent oxidization) which makes the hashish darker and gives the cannabinoids more exposure to air, which in turn leads, as mentioned, to the oxidation of the resin glands. Also, hand pressed hashish is smooth, while machine pressed hashish is more coarse and granular.

Heat and added moisture are used to press stubborn resins which may lack any natural stickiness. Too much heat while pressing will cause the pieces to dry out and become more brittle. Indirect heat, or steam-which is the more preferred method-applied carefully is usually best.

STORING
Now, lets talk about the way you store your hashish. The container that you use to store resin powder or hashish must always be sealed tightly during aging. Moisture, oxygen, and light are all your enemies! They will conspire to lower the potency of your product, and nobody wants that to happen! properly stored and aged hashish mellows the smoke, improves the flavor, and reduces the urge to cough.

Storing your hashish should be done in an air-tight glass or stainless steel container, that is also light-tight and dry.keep the containers in as cool as a place as may be possible, such as a refrigerator or (better yet) a freezer. This will slow down the degeneration of your hashish. You should also avoid all plastic or rubber containers, as well. Believe it or not, the resins will eat away at the plastic and/or rubber containers and ruin your stash!

Once dry, properly stored hashish will keep its consistency and potency for quite a long time. Obviously, the outside of a pressed piece of hashish will lose its potency faster than the inside will( due to the oxidation process), and this is what contributes to the color. the higher the temperature, the faster the oxidation will take place. Even when kept in frozen storage, the THC will eventually decompose and change into CBNs. In short, the longer you store your product, the lower the level of eventual psychoactive effects.

Removal of the moisture is also essential to prevent spoilage. High heat, moisture, and adulterants all combine to damage the quality of your hashish, so store yours in a cold, dark place.......the freezer!

This article was previously published by Trey Gochenour A.K.A. "The Hash Man" and the NoCoMAC.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heres some more info on the subject where Frenchy chimes in... edit sorry the link worked at first..I'll try and find it again...DD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts