What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

attempt at perpetual harvest, from a ruined grower

Deg87

hello guys, as the title says here I am trying to start a cycle of perpetual harvest, two simple words and a simple idea, many obstacles to face.
My place will consist of:
-1 nursery room where new seeds and cuttings grow until they are ready to bloom
-1 mother room
-4 blooming room
-1 curing room
- another space to keep tools and devices

This in theory XD, currently are operating 'only' nursery room with about 200 small girls, born on November 8th.

Not to do a long post I will not describe all the rooms but as they are put into operation I will describe the characteristics.
So let's start:

NURSERY ROOM this room is about 3x6mt:

climate: 12000btu air conditioner, 2x2000w heater, 2 fans to move air, a centrifugal fan to extract air and an input with filter, smell I do not care so no carbon or other stuff.

light: 5x400w mh with 'boxed' reflector used when required

systems: 3x ebb & flood table measure 1x2m, 2x tank of about 300lt and some small greenhouses for germination and cuttings.

substrate: rockwool cube

fertilizers: ghe biosevia

photo of this room:

Deg87

ok now the plants:
as I wrote above I use rockwool cubes, so I started sinking thoroughly in normal tap water, then placed in pH 4.5 water with 3ml / lt of totalcare (cleaning product), over a night ph went up then brought down to about ph 5. The next day I prepared solution with bottled water and biosevia fertilizer with 1/4 of recommended recipe from ghe, I adjusted pH 5.5 EC resulting about 0.3, dipped cubes in solution for 24h.
in the meantime 200+ beans were in the incubator (24 C ° 80-90% Ur), and 98.5% of them sprouted, most after 48h, a few after only 24h and others few after 72h, 4/5 of these sprouted after 96h, I think this is quite normal.
Anyway, so they presented themselves after this phase:
November 10th

on November 14 (4 days old) small cubes were moved to larger rockwool (prepared in the same way as small ones) and placed on one of the 1x2m E & F trays under 2x400MH lights. on this occasion they received first irrigation with solution made from bottled water (tap water here suks) with biosevia to 1/2 of the strength of the basic recipe + root additive, pH 5.8 (use tester that colors water for now then the measure of ph is not absolute) EC 0.4 (this measured with appropriate ECtester) temp is 22/23 C ° humidity and 30/40%.
this is their appearance today:

November 18th 10days

I noticed some diseases on all the seedlings and I photographed the worst, it seems to lack some nutes, maybe Ca or Mg and even N a little, the cubes are still quite wet so I do not think it's good to irrigate them now, maybe tomorrow or the day after, furthermore low humidity could perhaps slow down or block absorption of these elements, so I'm working to fix this problem.

This is all for now, I have certainly failed to describe something, but you can ask if you want, any advice or cue for reflection and the welcome

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Nice grow you are building. I don't see any deficiency just leaf curl. You pH is off.

Looking forward to following your grow!

Deg87

That looks real nice. Can’t wait to see where this goes.

:biggrin:

I went to "my place" to check, I added an ultrasonic humidifier, I hope it is enough to increase the humidity a bit.

Nice grow you are building. I don't see any deficiency just leaf curl. You pH is off.

Looking forward to following your grow!

I took with a syringe some liquid from some rockwool cubes(those with the seedlings that seemed more uncomfortable) and I carried out the test with ph chromatic tester, the result seems about PH 6, I'm quite a novice with rockwool so maybe I miss something. Below ther're the current photos, in one of these inside the red sign you see some brown spots and a general appearance dull / dry, I would expect them to be bright green and little fatty.
Tomorrow I planned to give 50ml of EC solution 0.4 PH 5.5
Yes I know .... I have to buy an electronic PH tester ...

PH
picture.php

Rw temp (20 C°)
picture.php

Disease
picture.php

Family group shot
picture.php

S

Sertaiz

if your gonna be this gangsta about this, get the electric tester. and how old are the sprouts? i always heard a little hydrogen peroxide was good for plants diluted wayyy down.

S

Sertaiz

and i would have the lights real close to the plants but im not an indoor grower. i cant speak to biosevia at half strength but if they arent dying at that stage you have plenty of time to tweak the recipe. pretty soon i would hit them with some serious food, ph them and drop the lights a bit and raise as they get taller

Deg87

today the seedlings are 11 days old, only 10-15% show problems that you see in the picture. PH tester with calibration solutions will arrive tomorrow so I know well what I'm doing with ph :D.
I will go to the nursery to turn down the lights and I will give a shot of 50ml of full strength solution with pH 5.5 EC expected 0.5.
currently the cubes lose about 25-30 grams (equivalent to mL) per day, they are 330 grams when completely soaked, so I think when they weigh about 290 grams they are at the right point of wet.
Following this idea I have cubes today at 250/240 grams and I will add 50 grams of solution to hit 290/300 grams.
thanks for support and advice, I will publish developments soon.

:tiphat:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
They are not advising you to turn down the lights just to lower them closer to the plants so they don’t stretch to it so much. If you are going to do a lot of seeds I would consider a couple of 8 bulb t5 fixtures, they can be put within a few inches of the tops of the plants and help grow the plant stronger in this vulnerable stage. I need to get a new t5 fixture as well. I have tried all types, these are under quantum leds, nothing beats the t5 early on. I would raise the temp to 29 degrees and humidity in highs 70s-80s. Support any of the plants from falling over. I use little pieces of bailing wire to support the youngsters.

Attachments

• 43D3B7DB-F67F-424A-9B03-AEC23D49C823.jpg
    43D3B7DB-F67F-424A-9B03-AEC23D49C823.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Mengsk

It all looks very professional. Compliments are easy critique is challenging with so little to go on. That setup looks ideal for sog. Insulation would help even foil covered foam on the walls, elevated floor would help. 2000w of lights instead of heaters might be better. Insulate the room better and circulate only enough air for oxygen/co2 exchange. You could focus on fewer larger plants in fabric pots or dwc or even soil beds. Although not as quick of a turnaround with the same yield as what you have now.

Deg87

ph tester should arrive today, in the meantime I lowered the lamps, slowed the fan and fed the seedlings.
Today seedlings are much better you can judge them from the photos.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I could place mh 1000w instead of mh 400w, I have these in stock, actually it's better 2000w of light instead of 2000w heater, my only concern is to heat up the cubes too, lowering the mh 400w has caused +1 C ° and now they are at 21 ° C, I think it should not rise above this point.

Speaking of thermal insulation, I'm sure it would help to keep stable internal conditions, I did not expect this because when all installations will be operating every wall of this room will be adjacent to other rooms with controlled climate, I remind you that final project is 4x blooming room , 1Xnursery, 1x mother room, 1x curing room and a corridor where will be various machines and a room with pc desk and other things like that. this is about 300 square feet, and I have another floor of the same size that could expand in with other blooming rooms .. but this is far in the future.

Blooming room (5x4mt) will be configured for SOG with 12X1000w hps, will host 192 seedlings, this time born from the seed, in the future cuttings from mother plants.

I know it's a huge project, very ambitious but I love challenging myself, I love weed and at this moment in my life I'm free enough to do this, big problem is budget, but there are already many things (the most expensive) for the rest will face when problems occur, relying on your advice and my passion.:tiphat:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I would consider a co2 burner since you have an air conditioner in place and sealing the room will make it where you don’t need heaters. Early on they like it warm.

S

Sertaiz

the lights are still high imo but i understand you dont want to crisp them up and i would agree that a t5 is the way to go, a rolling rack of them even with three or four layers. can put 200 on one easy. and then transport to the big room later but it all looks good so far. could hang t5s and probably pull less juice at first by having them inches away like homie was talking about. its a tough plant. large scale to start on, but why not if you have the startup loot and time to play.

Deg87

Things are moving forward, PH tester has arrived and after first measurements it was clear that they ran on too high PH level, as 6.8. Immediately I integrated into the solution most notrimento (maximum biosevia table -> 3 + 3ml G + B) and adjusted PH to 5.5, I gave 50 ml to each plan, this on November 21.
Two days later I still noticed some difficulties of the little girls, some leaves (a few actually) a little pale and some brown marks in points near the leaves' veins. PH in RW was 6.2.

The problem:
I broke my brain to figure out where the problem was, then I decided to calculate exactly how much percentage of N, P, K and other elements was in the water.
The result is 2-2-5, compared with Lucas formula, is completely unbalanced!
Table biosevia says that now I should only use Grow part that is 3-1-6 that would be even worse as a balance, too much of K and very little of P !!
So I decided that I will not follow these doses because they are too wrong, at least for Cannabis.

The solution (I hope):
I created an excell sheet (starting from excell sheet for Lucas formula found here on the forum), the purpose of this is to calculate quantities of N, P, K and the rest and then convert this data to use only biosevia bloom + monocomp. Result is that use bloom to reach K desired and then (always calculated with excell sheet) integrate N and P which is missing until the correct ratio is reached.
In fact, I translate lucas for time necessary to finish biosevia that I already have at home using monocomponent fert.
After hours of counting and puzzling, I did the test to see if projections of the excell sheet were being tested, and it does!
The Tank now has customLucasFormula at 0.8 EC and pH 5.6, I gave about 150 ml to each seedling, a little more than necessary for flush RW.
Ladies seem to like this treatment, growth has accelerated after this irrigation, I have a cam that takes pictures every 15 minutes so it's easy to edit a video with Movie maker and control the tendency of seedlings.

Day 16

picture.php
[/url]

Today the PH in RW is 6.2 (it should go down a bit I believe) EC in RW is 0.74.
My idea for next irrigation (tomorrow) is PH 5.5 and EC 1.
Suggestions are welcome

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I might have missed it but what strains are your plants. If you have the option of getting clones or a mother plant it might be worth it. Running seeds is unpredictable and it will take a year to establish the best out of this batch. You could run a couple of your rooms with a proven clone and really speed up your plan. Might even be worth a trip to pick out some cuts and mail them home to yourself. Just a thought, I know I don’t know your specific situation but it would be a much more productive year for you with a couple of proven clones to run. Either way, you obviously have some knowledge and I wish you the best of luck.

Deg87

first of all thanks for your comment :), this batch of seeds is blackDominaCbd (200 pcs), CBD Time (1), Dinamed CBD Plus (1), Pakistan Chitral CBD (1), Sweet Pure CBD (4). unfortunately 3 BlackDominaCbd and 1 Pure Cbd did not sprout, not too bad for my current abilities.

I know that the best thing is always to use proven clones (which is my final goal), but now I need to close a crop that gives me the opportunity to invest more on the next cycles. you must know that now in my country it is not allowed to use cuttings and thc must be less than 0.2%. I also know that there is a lot of prejudice about low thc marj, but today my country allows me to grow marj in certain rules and I want to slowly create my small business because working with marj is my ideal job (first growbox in my bedroom closet when I was only 15 years like many others in this forum).
My idea is that in the coming years my country will also legalize thc marj and I want to get to that day with solid experience and already effective and tested structures.
Having said that I must also say that if my plants were to exceed the threshold of 0.2% thc if within 0.6% the law tolerates this, if instead it exceeds 0.6% this crop is destroyed but there would be no legal consequences for this, about the clones is a similar speech, no one can prove that they are clones so I will use these when possible.

After these clarifications I explain what I would like to do.
As I said before all I would like is that at least 180/190 of these Blackdomina cbd will produce at least 30/40 grams on average every one, this would already be a success and would mean moving forward. In the meantime, however, I will keep at least 8 mother plants that will be 6 non-blackdomina cbd plus 2 black domina cbd, it is not certain that they will be super productive or super tasty but they are something.
I hope that when this lot will have 1 month of flowering I can cut from these 8 mothers about 30 clones from each one, in order to get at least 200 rooted clones from which I start looking for a good genetics (remembering thc limits), I hope I will be lucky and at least two of these mothers will be good. Then as these grow up and can provide more clones, I will replace the worst and, as soon as I have sufficient resources, I will dedicate space (space is not lacking, money is missing) to make a good selection.
so my target is to always keep flowering room to grow something and slowly improve my genetics.
I must also say that the market in my country today sells some rubbish that are treated with every crap you can think of, so even just clean and 'honest' marj will be fine.

I hope this action plan will bring its results, and my old original teenage dream will become true.:biggrin::tiphat:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
We are in very similar situations as I am searching for cbd moms for my business. Our number is .3% thc. We do have clones available here that are proven to hit those numbers but who knows who or why they choose the mom they did so we are searching for our own moms. We are planning a large all clone outdoor grow. Anyways, I appreciate your plan and I think it is a good one and I wish you the best. Just remember it takes a team and the only thing more important than the right moms are the right people. Grow well.

Deg87

We are in very similar situations as I am searching for cbd moms for my business. Our number is .3% thc. We do have clones available here that are proven to hit those numbers but who knows who or why they choose the mom they did so we are searching for our own moms. We are planning a large all clone outdoor grow. Anyways, I appreciate your plan and I think it is a good one and I wish you the best. Just remember it takes a team and the only thing more important than the right moms are the right people. Grow well.

I wish you good work

day 17
rockwool situation (syringe sampling): PH 5.75 (yeah) EC 1.5, average weight 296g.
EC seems to be too high, so I decided to irrigate ebb & fllod style for 7 minutes with PH 5.75 EC 0.9.

day 18
rockwool situation (syringe sampling): PH 5.95 EC 0.79, average weight 296.8g.
I thought it's ok and I let them eat.

day 19
rockwool situation (syringe sampling): PH 5.76 EC 0.66, average weight 270.4g.
I have seen that seedlings are eating more than drinking, PH is quite stable which makes me think that recipe is fairly balanced, but the fact that EC in rockwool drops and seedlings still look hungry makes me think that it is necessary to raise EC level.
So I decided to flush ebb & fllod style for 7 minutes with PH 5.81 EC 1.5. I have to say this looks like a lot but seedlings seem to ask, we'll see tomorrow which EC and PH will find when I test.

Today's photo:

picture.php

picture.php

Deg87

day 20
rockwool situation (syringe sampling): PH 5.51 EC 0.79 average weight 295g.
I irrigated from above (about 160 ml for each) with ec1.48 and ph 6.04.

day 21
rockwool situation (syringe sampling): PH 5.49 EC 1.17 average weight 281g.
I irrigate ebb & fllod style for 7 minutes with PH 6 EC 1.38, lowered a little ec because ph is going down in rw so I deduce there is a bit too many nutes. Taken mothers (8) and placed in 1gal pots with clay balls, topping also to start mainlining and encourage more growth in the secondary branches.

day 22
rockwool situation (syringe sampling): PH 5.5 EC 1.14 average weight 286g.
No irrigation today, left plants consume nutes that are already in rw, I noticed that ec in rw dropped a little but ph is still a little below ideal (5.8?), I deduce that correct ec is almost here, maybe 1.1 1.0 is ideal Right now.
All the other seedlings I put in small pots with clay balls (I do not know if necessary but I liked to protect the roots and give them a little more space)

some current photos:

Topped mothers
picture.php

picture.php

Seedlings

Here instead the photo of deficiencies that are only about 10-15 seedlings, I think it is impossible that 200+ seedlings born from seeds have the same needs but I would like to find a way to make almost all the plants happy, what can these signs be? 90% of the other seedlings are in excellent health and cotyledons are still green and turgid on almost all seedlings.

advice and criticism but, even just comment is welcome, see you on the next update.