What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THCV question

G

GatorGumbo

I never hear anything about CBDv. If THCv doesn't get you high all that much because its fucked up THC, then maybe CBDv gets you super wasted because it braindamaged CBD.

THCV will get you high as a giraffe ass.

"At lower doses, THCV acted as a CB1 antagonist—in very, very simple terms: does not get you high. At higher doses, however, it can switch, behaving as a CB1 agonist, much like THC. In other words, take a lot of THCV, and zoom—it’ll tickle that CB1 receptor and produce a psychoactive buzz."

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
THCV will get you high as a giraffe ass.

"At lower doses, THCV acted as a CB1 antagonist—in very, very simple terms: does not get you high. At higher doses, however, it can switch, behaving as a CB1 agonist, much like THC. In other words, take a lot of THCV, and zoom—it’ll tickle that CB1 receptor and produce a psychoactive buzz."

I once had someone smoke a joint with me that was supposed to get me higher than three dinks. I was a bit let down honestly. Is a giraffe ass higher or lower?

G

GatorGumbo

Yea, that 7 page echo chamber isn't really sparking my interest, but I'd be much obliged to be corrected directly if my statement is incorrect.

sativa92

I know this is an ace forum.. Dinafem "claims" Moby dick is a THCV strain. And it's pretty much a slight creeper with no tolerance buildup and high ceiling.
Supposedly one parent is Jack Herer but I think it's a reversed Elnino or something. Does anyone have any info?

Yea, that 7 page echo chamber isn't really sparking my interest, but I'd be much obliged to be corrected directly if my statement is incorrect.

... -.-

If you want to eliminate any effects that the terpenes may contribute to the THC/THCV flowers or concentrate, you need to try 100% pure THC and 100% THCV in different ratios to find proof that the THCV is making the THC effects stronger or better.
I have done this with 12 subjects and none reported that THCV made THC stronger in fact they all reported the opposite. These were double blind tests.

If the effects you reported "may not be correct with respect to the effects of pure THCV" then where did the effects come from? I would guess terpenes.

We did our testing with both HPLC and GC, I prefer GC as that is closer to what a smoker gets as the heat of smoking does destroy some of the Cannabinoids, similar to what a GC does to analysis of the Cannabinoids. With oral THCV an HPLC might be better, as long as the THCV is not THCVA as the acid forms of the Cannabinoids may and do have different effects from the neutral Cannabinoids like THC or THCV. We did test both THCVA and THCV neither helped make THC stronger or better, we only did smoking, or vaping in a Volcano tests. We did not do oral tests. Our testing was done around 2000.

I think you are presuming it was the THCV that "dramatically alters the effects of THC and other compounds when it is present along with these in a concentrate or other mixture."
I suggest you try 100% pure THC with 100% pure THCV and then report the results, we found the more THCV the less strong the THC effects were.

I am not trying to say that THCV has no medical use, I am refering to recreational use.
For example CBD modifies THC but not in a positive way for most folks that want to get higher.
CBD delays onset of the THC effects, reduces peak experiences, and makes the reduced effects last longer. Some like this but it does not make THC stronger. THCV is similar.
When we developed THCV only varieties the higher the THCV and the less THC the worse the smoke was for recreational use, we all hated the THCV only varieites they were like smoking hemp. They did have almost a 100 to 1 ratio of THCV to THC, much higher in THCV and much much lower in THC then your variety. Even a concentrate would be less then 1% THC.
We did get high from THCV/THC varieties that were closer to 1:1 but you also get high if you smoke 1:1 CBD/THC varieties but no one or few think CBD makes THC stronger or better for recreational use unless THC only varieites do get them to high and paranoid, and they use the CBD/THC to prevent that. That I understand, as long as they do not claim that CBD gets them higher.

On your WWW site you say:
"THCV Is Different From the Stuff That Gets You "High"
In small amounts, THCV in its pure form is not psychoactive - it's different from ∆9THC, which is the main psychoactive component of most cannabis products."

I agree but also say THCV in larger amounts also does not get you high.

When you said on your WWW site: "THCV : The Unicorn of Cannabinoids
THCV is one of the rarest cannabinoids in the market today. According to a licensed California lab, out of 100,000 samples, only a single strain ever tested over 3% THCV: this unique varietal expresses a 1:1 ratio of THCA:THCVA - something never before experienced by the modern cannabis consumer. THCV is the next frontier in cannabinoids."

The lab may well say that but I developed a THCV variety from scratch that was over 10% and with almost no THC more then a decade before this. We licensed the variety to GW Pharmaceuticals.
-SamS

G

GatorGumbo

Thanks for that. Everything I have read on the topic states otherwise, but I'll keep it in mind.

Passenger101

Thank you all for this information. On a very general note, it all continues to add to my overall impression that the cannabis experience at a certain level is a synergistic one. Starting with the uniqueness of the individual ingesting it. Then the uniqueness of the plants genetics. Then the uniqueness of the growing environment, including the length of time that the flower is allowed to mature, the curing process and the method of ingesting. These are quite a few factors to control.

Passenger101

So I recently asked Ace Seeds and World of Seeds about some of their THCV strains. They both responded very quickly.

Ace said that their testing company only recently became able to test for THCV. They did say, “Our Bangi Haze x Ethiopian hybrid produces close to 0,3 % of THCV.”
And also that
“Tikal and Zamaldelica also contain a bit of THCV.”
I told them that I would check back with the into next year as they get data on other strains.
They were very pleasant and helpful in their corespondence.

World of Seeds mentioned that they believe their Kilimanjaro and Kwazulu have higher THCV levels. I’m still waiting for a response on percentages, if they currently have them. World of Seeds was also very friendly and pleasant to deal with.
I’m reaching out to other breeders also and I’ll keep you posted.

Roy
:sasmokin:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Passenger101,

The reply you got from us via email is correct. It has been only 1-2 years since our local lab can detect THCV in their analysis, and so far we haven't found parental plants from our genepool with remarkable THCV content, only in traces or small amounts (0.5 % or lesser). Maybe doing cannabinoid analysis to very big populations will show specific individuals with more remarkable THCV content, but since we don't have a lab in our facilities yet (hopefully this will change in the future) we must pay to external labs for the analyses, which is expensive, so we mainly analyze the main parental plants we use to breed or to produce our seeds.

I'm far to be an expert on the rarer cannabinoids, but as far as i know there are higher chances to find higher quantities of THCV and from other rarer cannabinoids in hemp or wild cannabis populations rather than in the mainstream marijuana genepool that 99 % of the western people grows and smokes. Recent scientific studies state that modern western marijuana genepool has been strongly bred towards pure THC chemotypes, being almost deactivated for the production of CBD and other cannabinoids. The introduction of CBD rich strains in mainstream western marijuana genepool is relatively recent (less than 15 years).

I'm very interested to learn more about the properties of THCV and how it interacts on the overall effect and with the other cannabinoids and terpenes. But we must approach this from a scientific point of view based on proofs and well done statistical studies, and not in assumptions, prejudices or personal desires. I'm really tired of reading people saying 'THCV is the ultimate cannabinoid' or that 'THCV is the element that produces the trippy effects in the best sativas', and 99.99 % of this people has never tried pure THCV, neither a THCV rich marijuana (with a cannabinoid analysis that proves it), so please don't count with me to keep spreading this kind of non sense rumours without any scientific proof. I'm not saying THCV is useless .... but as far as i have discussed with other very knowledgeable people about it seems THCV has a delayed effect and some of its effects are antagonists of THC effects (like munchies, THC increases it, THCV decreases it).

So let's be honest about it, let's forget our own prejudices/philias and what others have said about THCV with out any scientifical proof, so our minds can be clear and open to see the truth (based on science) on it.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
So I recently asked Ace Seeds and World of Seeds about some of their THCV strains. They both responded very quickly.

Ace said that their testing company only recently became able to test for THCV. They did say, “Our Bangi Haze x Ethiopian hybrid produces close to 0,3 % of THCV.”
And also that
“Tikal and Zamaldelica also contain a bit of THCV.”
I told them that I would check back with the into next year as they get data on other strains.
They were very pleasant and helpful in their corespondence.

World of Seeds mentioned that they believe their Kilimanjaro and Kwazulu have higher THCV levels. I’m still waiting for a response on percentages, if they currently have them. World of Seeds was also very friendly and pleasant to deal with.
I’m reaching out to other breeders also and I’ll keep you posted.

Roy

Next time you talk to WOS ask them about the authenticity of their landrace strains. I have almost ordered some a few times but I find more negative reviews than good ones. Most of which claim they are most likely hybrids.

Passenger101

More THCV

More THCV

I would like to thank Dubi for the reply.

I too agree that we should not jump to any conclusions regarding how any one, or the synergy of cannabinoids effects an individual. One can obtain fairly isolated THC and CBD products and then experiment on oneself with various combinations of the two and document the effects. Also CBN is becoming more readily available, so individuals can add that to see how it changes their over all experience and hopefully find a combination that works best for their individual needs or moods. This is why I am interested in finding a fairly concentrated source of THCV, just to study how it’s inclusion changes the effects of the other cannibinoids. It just seems to be an exciting time in history where we are getting a better understanding of the interaction of these substances and having the ability to tailor them to our own individual preferences.

I may have another lead on a THCV rich strain, and I will keep you all abreast if it pans out.
Roy

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I have come to this same conclusion. Doug's Varin is the loch ness monster of cannabis. Maybe it did exists once, maybe...

Lol! The loch ness thats an overstatement there man....

But seriously theres no legitimate referencing about Dougsvarin ive looked far and wide and found nothing reliable so i may get some Quantum Kush or even try and find subcools Jack the Ripper tho im not a subcool fan HONESTLY if not i may have a friend who may help me with authentic Durban Poison that could be what is most promising. Now those three strains are very much real i promise ya that lad

koldobrew

In fact, the use of a wide variety of THC substances is a very ancient rite. It is really true that many shamans from Asian and African countries used marijuana leaves for performing rituals. Some of them used them, including for medicinal purposes. It is good that in some states it is allowed to do this now. Most recently, I buy THCV isolate in order to do weight loss. The result was not long in coming. I advise you!

Last edited: