What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Newb Returns

DTOM420

Lookin good. I don’t know your specific genetics but unless they’re fast seeds, I wouldn’t be expecting amber trichs for several weeks. Patience is key. If your weather makes growing into November problematic, look at autoflowering plants or those with “fast” flowering genetics.

Good luck!

yardgrazer

Yeah, for sure, my biggest mistake this year was waiting until 9/1 to switch over, wouldn't be sweating the weather as much as I have been. As much as the original listing said 7-8 weeks, I am fully expecting 10 weeks at bare minimum (that said, handheld microscope should arrive tomorrow). So far forecasts look good for me to make it to 9 weeks, gonna get more and more difficult as time rolls on though. Like i said, stupid of me to have waited, I should've started flowering earlier.

Frankly most of these learning-moment hiccups are why I started the seeds I did, I still have a mess of the F2s, and the F1s were getting very old.

Next year I hope to improve on all of the mistakes I made this year.

yardgrazer

Had a little taste of the plant that hermed earlier today (took it down at FD56 because I was tired of moving it in out of the cold night air - would've liked to have gone longer), and... no surprise - waxy grape flavor. I'm going to take a close look at the 2 inside tomorrow to see whether it might be possible to take them down at FD63. Kinda expecting to need to go a bit longer yet, we'll see.

yardgrazer

Doesn't look like either of the indoor plants will be done this week, getting there though. Left a few small plants I hadn't sexed at the beginning of flower outside, they got a bit frosty over night.

yardgrazer

Trimmed/plucked off a few leaves that were getting past their usefulness and took 'em outside to dump - hard to tell just how dark the green broadleaf's leaves have gotten under the lamp but it's readily apparent outside:

yardgrazer

Found some botrytis on the dark leafed one, removed the affected buds, salvaged what i could - then a few hours after lights out I went in and removed the plant. Hanging in a dehumidified room as we speak, hopefully I won't lose more to the bot. All speaks to the need to switch over to flower earlier, to dodge as much of the cool damp conditions that prevail in Sept/October as possible.

starke

I feel your pain on the botrytis. Dealt with it at the end of my last grow and am going to harvest my current grow a week earlier than usual because I'm afraid it will raise it's ugly head again. Big nugs are a good thing, but also a double edged sword. Your plants look great.

yardgrazer

Thanks!

I've never dealt with this anywhere else I've lived, but mold grows in my house here... anywhere cool and moist, mold. It's super gross, but from what other people have told me it's just the way it is. And botrytis is everywhere, of course.

Also, it looked to me like there had been some kind of injury to the main stem behind one of the big buds, and that's where the bot took root, and then it spread to a couple surrounding buds. So far I haven't seen anything on the rest of it.

Makes me a bit nervous about the purple one, but that one is closer to the fan and further away from where cool moist air might get in from outside my makeshift tent. One way or another I'm pulling the power on the lamp on Thursday after lights out, and we'll see what's what.

yardgrazer

Found one more bot affected bud, but that first harvest of the green broadleaf was dry enough to go into jars a few days ago (fairly secure that both broaf leafs are F2s of RM's Romulan I made years ago). Out of an abundance of caution I broke the cola down to individual buds up to the point where it was primarily growing off the top.

Took a photo the other day of the two jars I used - was feeling a bit insecure about it (although that Romulan wasn't particularly known for its yield) until I remembered the portions I lost to botrytis, not to mention the test buds I took and the bud I salvaged from bot and heat dried. And duh, the big side cola I left to finish. So that made me feel a bit better.

Weighed the jarred portion today, worked out to a little over 1.5 ounces, which isn't terrible given the issues I ran into with lighting, etc. I'm sure it'll reduce a bit more, but it's getting there in terms of dryness.

Anyway, I chopped all of my remaining plants this morning. The side bud I left to finish from the green broadleaf made me wish I'd been able to take the rest of that plant another week, but I slept better knowing I'd removed the bot affected portion of the plant.

Also pictured, the purple broadleaf.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

yardgrazer

Been enjoying the fruits of my labors, the purple one was the stand out among the group, piney/turpentine-y, seem to have built up tolerance to it quick but still hits me hard when I've been off it for a day. May have dried the first batch from the green broadleaf too fast/overdried it. Smells grapefruity when you handle it, but the flavor isn't there in the hit.

Hoping to try something else from my old jar next season, and maybe pick up something else nice to go along with it.