What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bag seed in with good strain

I usually pot more clones than I plan on using because, in my experience, some of them don't root as quickly as the others which can mess up an otherwise even canopy. I think professional growers don't have to deal with that inconsistency, but I'm a long way from there, so I just pot extras and cull the stragglers. It feels bad killing a healthy plant, but I know from experience it hurts way more having a couple plants that are below the average of the rest of the crop. If you have a greenhouse, I'd pot them all, then toss the stragglers outside. The importance of having an even canopy indoors cannot be overstated. Literally every harvest I had was a disappointment until I learned how to brutalize my ladies into being even. Cutting, bending, snapping, tying down, tying up, killing the weak. Yeah, brutal is a good word. It helps big time.

You could totally do a sea of green, but the bacon goes in deeper on you the more plants you have, so take that into consideration.

I usually pot more clones than I plan on using because, in my experience, some of them don't root as quickly as the others which can mess up an otherwise even canopy. I think professional growers don't have to deal with that inconsistency, but I'm a long way from there, so I just pot extras and cull the stragglers. It feels bad killing a healthy plant, but I know from experience it hurts way more having a couple plants that are below the average of the rest of the crop. If you have a greenhouse, I'd pot them all, then toss the stragglers outside. The importance of having an even canopy indoors cannot be overstated. Literally every harvest I had was a disappointment until I learned how to brutalize my ladies into being even. Cutting, bending, snapping, tying down, tying up, killing the weak. Yeah, brutal is a good word. It helps big time.

You could totally do a sea of green, but the bacon goes in deeper on you the more plants you have, so take that into consideration.

Good advice I usually prefer vegging out a smaller number of ladies then I top them and run a scrog setup. I built my 8sq ft cabs from 6ft tall 2x4ft shelving units with wire shelves and wrapped them in 7mil panda film. The wire shelves had perfect dimensions for scrogging so once they get big enough I stick a shelf back in and let them grow up through it. If the screen fills up too much I start tying stuff down up the sides in a pseudo vertical grow type setup.

Good advice I usually prefer vegging out a smaller number of ladies then I top them and run a scrog setup. I built my 8sq ft cabs from 6ft tall 2x4ft shelving units with wire shelves and wrapped them in 7mil panda film. The wire shelves had perfect dimensions for scrogging so once they get big enough I stick a shelf back in and let them grow up through it. If the screen fills up too much I start tying stuff down up the sides in a pseudo vertical grow type setup.

That's genius dude! Can you post a picture of your setup? I've been considering ways to expand my 4x4 into a 4x10 and that might just do it. That sounds modular as all hell lol

That's genius dude! Can you post a picture of your setup? I've been considering ways to expand my 4x4 into a 4x10 and that might just do it. That sounds modular as all hell lol

I wish I could but I'm pretty much a caveman I still own a flip phone lol so i got nothing to take pics with and never had a reason to. Never figured out how to upload pics either. I can explain it all in detail if you pm me though it's a fairly easy setup. The shelving units run around 100 bucks, panda film is around 30 and you need like 4 or 5 rolls of gorilla tape. The plastic door could be sealed up with a stick on zipper but I use a multi layered door that has alternating plastic flaps to seal out light secured by little squares of stick on Velcro tape. There's 3 layers of rectangular flaps that go over the door completely blocking out light and takes 30sec or so to undo all the velcro.

You just build the unit per the direction but only install the top and bottom shelf. Then just cut the panda film to size, wrap it around and tape it to the frame and seal all the corners with gorilla tape. Gorilla tape is king anything else isn't gonna hold up or seal out light as well. Put the shelf support beams at the height you want your scrog screen to be since after it's wrapped you can't adjust them.

Last edited:
It's the same price as a grow tent to build possibly even more but seals out light 100% and would last a lot longer and be more durable. Plus if you're paranoid about having grow tents shipped through the mail and live in a mj unfriendly area it's a good way to build you're own.

This unit is similar to the ones I used and you can adjust most the brace beams except some units have the top and bottom connected with a brace beam and that one would have to go where it's supposed to.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-i...ier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/50403882

Last edited:

WelderDan

Veteran
Never, ever underestimate the potential of bag seed. Some (actually quite a few) have become "elite" cuts and it was just bag seed.

No matter what I'm growing, I will almost always grow some bag at the same time. I've had some exceptional weed that was just bag seed. And some not so good weed. But, they are free. It was all just bag seed in the beginning anyway.

Yeah but from the sound of stoked' s last post he's seeing a bunch of balls so it might be a hermie. I'm waiting to see if he can post some updated pics to be sure. That one pic clearly had pistils but he said he hasn't seen anymore and has been seeing balls everywhere. My first grow was bag seed and the best I've ever had but when I finally get around to growing some white russian seeds i picked up awhile back that might change.

spazspaz

I only had 1 bag seed to start, it’s a very healthy looking plant.

Do you have any recollection of the characteristics of the stuff this bagseed came from?

I advise hanging on to it, for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned--learning to sex, not least of all.

Who knows, maybe you'll get inspired to run a mother scene, make a bunch of clones, breed and hoard rare cuts. Or, maybe you could eventually interest the party who provided you with the original stock in a superior iteration...or, at least get them to remember what the strain is called so you can tell us about your lucky (and/or funny) find.

STOKED

Thanks for all the response

It actually looks to be turning out female after all. I kept it and didn’t rip it. It’s outside now and doing well. I’ll post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the response

It actually looks to be turning out female after all. I kept it and didn’t rip it. It’s outside now and doing well. I’ll post pics when I get a chance.

Nice dude just keep a eye out for nanners but glad you kept it I know the pain of dankruptcy and hope you get out of it soon. If it has a few shoots on the bottom that have little to no bud formation you could maybe try taking some clones and seeing if it has some genetics you might want to keep around. Either way good luck man glad to hear the good news

STOKED

Nice dude just keep a eye out for nanners but glad you kept it I know the pain of dankruptcy and hope you get out of it soon. If it has a few shoots on the bottom that have little to no bud formation you could maybe try taking some clones and seeing if it has some genetics you might want to keep around. Either way good luck man glad to hear the good news

Thanks so much man!!

So DANKRUPT!!!! It’s bad nearly there.
I lollipopped the Auto Kush today just to get a little more airflow and a little immature to vape. So close now!

I have heaps of seed now, many varieties to try (all Seedsman and ace) so I think I’ll be okay for strains for a while.
I might have to let the bagseed genetics go as I don’t really have option of long term mother’s (shame) I need to be very stealth about things.

My clones are looking great. About to start them in the veg tent for the next round.

Have a few auto seeds to play with, might try a couple outdoor.

Hope you’re back on your feet soon hermies

STOKED

Well I’m kinda seeing how I go.
I’ve spent time keeping a squat plant and have a large vegetable garden I keep it in. So far early flower the smell is not noticeable around the other smells in my yard. The folks over the fence are nice older folk we all get along well.

I have a couple of methods I use and am considering.
At the moment I often lay a lot of nitrogen fertiliser it really smells and overpowers most smells in my yard. I also often water heavily with seaweed same effect.
I have a large compost heap nearby and cut my lawn and scatter the clippings often. This also helps.

I was considering popping ONA GEL nearby but not sure if this works outside.

Another question I’d love help with please.

I am totally DANKRUPT now.
I have a large habit and the person I was getting bad pgr off has disappeared. I have no contacts.

From what I trimmed off the bottom of the auto I have maybe a weeks worth.

The first auto should be ready in two weeks. It looks good now with trichs all over sugar leaves etc.

I have another about two weeks behind this, and then a c99xblueberry fast two weeks later.

I am considering taking the first auto early. This would tie me over till my perpetual starts kicking in.

I know I will loose weight but I have other seeds I can grow of this strain. They were free seeds so even anything helps me especially at the moment. Thanks again

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Ona gel barely works indoors so I doubt it will help outside... have you considered planting rosemary, garlic, thyme etc? They have some good strong smells and deter some pests too

STOKED

Ona gel barely works indoors so I doubt it will help outside... have you considered planting rosemary, garlic, thyme etc? They have some good strong smells and deter some pests too

Good idea.
I have a large herb garden growing next to it, I’m getting basil cuttings rooted at the moment to plant out all over the yard.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't take the auto early....leave it to mature. Shouldn't be long before optimum finish, correct?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Don't take the auto early....leave it to mature. Shouldn't be long before optimum finish, correct?

i will second this, let the plant grow to its fullest
you have waited this long,brother, a few more weeks is totally worth it
scrape your pipes, smoke fan leafs whatever it takes to hold you over for the last few weeks
a small sample bud or two from the bottom wont hurt and can be a treat, but let the main parts grow to their fullest

Thanks so much man!!

So DANKRUPT!!!! It’s bad nearly there.
I lollipopped the Auto Kush today just to get a little more airflow and a little immature to vape. So close now!

I have heaps of seed now, many varieties to try (all Seedsman and ace) so I think I’ll be okay for strains for a while.
I might have to let the bagseed genetics go as I don’t really have option of long term mother’s (shame) I need to be very stealth about things.

My clones are looking great. About to start them in the veg tent for the next round.

Have a few auto seeds to play with, might try a couple outdoor.

Hope you’re back on your feet soon hermies
Thanks man the broad mites are gone for now no trace of them in my room it'll be 4-5mo still but I'll get out of bankruptcy in due time. I really hope those lil butt munchers starved to death as painfully as possible I've never hated another living creature so much in my life lol. I got some 10 day old seedlings and haven't seen a single mite anywhere so I'm confident they are gone just gotta keep up with IPM to keep them from coming back.

I agree with the others if it's close to finishing let her grow into old age. I went down the slippery slope of harvesting early years ago when I first started and it's one of the worst things you can do. You are basically stealing from yourself to satistify a temporary immediate gratification. I know how painful being dankrupt can be but have patience padawan it'll be much better in the long run if you resist harvesting early.

Hermes brought up a good point. Don't do it because you will form a habit. My first grow was a full 3 months of dankruptcy, and I was suffering from extreme sciatica. The only way I could bend my hip or knee (I could never do so at the same time unless I was actively blazed) was to smoke every single morning and the only way I could sleep was to smoke every single night. I waited the full 70 days for my girl to ripen. She was the only one of five to survive my tortures, but god damn it did she do so with flare. She was a "Sativa des Rois" which I only bought because I liked the idea of smoking something fit for kings.

It wasn't agonizing because I missed getting high - though I did - it was agonizing because every waking second was either an 11 on the 1-10 pain scale or I'd be passed out from the pain. I couldn't even sleep for more than a couple hours because of the pain. When It came harvest time, I had to ask my mom to do it for me because I couldn't even leave my bed at that point.

All that being said, I never felt so much pride in my life than when I opened that jar of fresh medicine. I'd gone through a very real Hell, but here was my work, my medicine, my gift from my dear botanical friend to whom I gave life and death.. It was perfectly ripe, it was way more bud than I'd ever thought I'd ever see in my life, and the thought of the relief I felt that day still brings a tear to my eye. If I could wait through all that, you can wait a couple more weeks. Trust us, it is not worth it.

Growing requires a genuine love for the plant. I don't love anything or anybody as much as my herb, and I'm as loving a man as can be. If you love your plants, you have to give them the respect they deserve. Sacrifices have to be made in order to grow. You sacrificed so much already just getting to this point. Don't turn your plant into a disgraced whore just before she turns into your very own personal queen.

Popcorn bud is okay because it normally just gets put in brownies anyways, but bite the bullet and do the right thing. You won't regret it. Besides, we'll all be here to commiserate with you until your medicine is dry. :comfort:

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
As said above, don’t waste your hard work up to now.
If I was you, I’d get some new autos started now so you don’t have that problem next time