What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow box

Athos

Most people in this forum use 30 watt per sq ft as the accepted norm, some a little below that, some a little above that. El Tigre uses 45 watt per sq ft and that's the highest I remember seen in the micro grow forum. I'm at 26 watt per sq ft and about to upgrade to 34. You already are at 45 watt per sq ft so it is plenty already. 6 lights would push you to 90 watt per sq ft, would that work? Who knows.

My intake is passive, you can see it in the bottom at the photo

It has one of those bathroom door covers on both sides to keep the light from going out.

Athos

As for the tutorial, you asking about:
- How to screw together the wood panels, the door hinges, the lock, make the hole for the Exhaust, etc? Like the woodmanship?

bucketbrah

As for the tutorial, you asking about:
- How to screw together the wood panels, the door hinges, the lock, make the hole for the Exhaust, etc? Like the woodmanship?

What size wood, materials needed,ect. I’ve got the light cleats,80mm fan, same filter. Just curious how it would go together. Did you use brackets to hold it while drying for 90* corners.

Athos

What size wood, materials needed,ect. I’ve got the light cleats,80mm fan, same filter. Just curious how it would go together. Did you use brackets to hold it while drying for 90* corners.

Let’s see first it would be the box itself, which is 40 cm (depth) x 60 cm (front) x 100 cm (height).
- 1 Plywood sheet, 15 mm thickness. 122cm x 244 cm (that’s the dimensions that I find here). This is enough for the entirety of the box and the odd remaining pieces I used to screw the lights.
- 1 set of 2 concealed cabinet hinges (35 mm)
- 1 cabinet lock
- Confirmat screws (or whichever you like) 48, or 50 in case you mess 1 or 2.
- Oil based stain (1/4 gallon), whatever color, for 1 coat.
- Oil based paint, flat white, ½ gallon, for 2 coats.
- Mineral spirits or paint thinner.
- You could use water based paint, it’s cheaper and dries quicker, but I prefer oil based, because of the humidity inside, water that will eventually spill and it’s easier to clean.
- U strap clamps. I used 2 to hang the filter (with zip ties) and a few others to guide the electrical cord in an orderly way.
- Self drilling wood screws for the U strap clamps, cleat sockets, etc.

Tools:
- Drill
- Confirmat drill guide
- Holesaw drill bit for the exhaust fan and intake. For the Noctua A6 it would be 60 mm, for the Noctua 80 mm it would be an 80 mm holesaw.
- If you are going to use a tupperware to attach a carbon filter like I did, you might want to get an extra holesaw for the filter’s diameter (the can 705 needs a 70 mm holesaw) or you can use a snap off cutter.
- Spade drill bit for the lock, dimension depends on the lock (mine is ¾ of an inch)
- Forstner dril bit (35mm) for installing the hinges.
- Sand paper to prepare the growbox before painting.
- 1 set of 2 90 degree clamps (optional). To hold the wood pieces together in a 90° angle while drilling / screwing them together.
- Paint roller and / or brush.

I hope this answer your questions, I might have misses some minor thing, but all in all is pretty accurate.

what will you be needing 48 screws for?

ive build a 70wide 35deep and 50 high veg box while back, and replaced it by now but that was just white board made into a box and back attached.
i layed the door on the floor and put the box 'over it', made the hinches, flipped it and attached the backplate, 4 screws for the lights, 2 holes in the backplate, done

Athos

The screws are supposed to be 10 cm (4 inches) apart from each other and 5 cm ( 2 inches) from the edges; at least that's what I use, when making wooden furniture, like a closet. Can you use less? Of course, specially since the box will be supporting virtually no weight, but the screws are really cheap I just like to be able to move the box around with no worried of it coming apart.

Let me think.

It would be:
- 4 screws for each side panel to the bottom (for a total of 8)
- 6 screws for the bottom to the back panel (for a total of 14)
-10 screws for each side panel to the back panel (for a total of 34)
- 4 screws for each side panel to the top (for a total of 42)
- 6 screws for the top to the back panel (for a total of 48)

alrighty, yeah i only used 2 screws for every corner, 4 for the back, 4 per hinge and 4 for the lights, screwed in by hand so im being economical ;)

Athos

Day 21 of Veg

Day 21 of Veg

Like the title says, it's the end of week 3.

I gave the plants only pH'ed water due the slight nute burn they had last week.

I finally went ahead and defoliated the other plant, I really like how the first plant was developing after the defoliation, meaning the sideshots were growing, just as if the plant was topped and instead of releafing with big fan leaves the sideshots developed up to 3 pair of smaller leaves each in a really tight space, which means in turn more budsites. The plants are 9 cm (3.5 inches) with 7 nodes and the tip of the 8th already in view.

Yesterday they were transplanted to 2 liter pots and showed no sign of shock today.

Here's how they look

Athos

Day 28 of Veg

Day 28 of Veg

It’s the end of the 4th week of veg and the plants look lovely.

The plants are 13 cm (5 inches) tall with a very healthy side-shot development, thanks to last week’s defoliation and were topped 2 days ago at the 8th node, for plant A, and 9th node, for plant B, removing the 9th and 10th set of true leaves respectively. The difference because plant A developed the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th nodes not with a pair of leaves but with a trio, resulting in an additional top on every one of those nodes. They have both shown sex since a couple of days ago.

They will have their second defoliation in the next two days, then I’ll let them recover until the end of the 6th week and then it’s flowering time.

Anyway, here's how both plants look today.

PS: I had forgot to post last run's dry weight. It finally came to 50 gr.

El Tigre

Most people in this forum use 30 watt per sq ft as the accepted norm, some a little below that, some a little above that. El Tigre uses 45 watt per sq ft and that's the highest I remember seen in the micro grow forum. I'm at 26 watt per sq ft and about to upgrade to 34. You already are at 45 watt per sq ft so it is plenty already. 6 lights would push you to 90 watt per sq ft, would that work? Who knows.

My intake is passive, you can see it in the bottom at the photo
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74576&pictureid=1782479&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]
It has one of those bathroom door covers on both sides to keep the light from going out.

Hi Athos! During my last grow i decreased lights to 38 w/sqft. got some light burn.

Athos

Update. Day 35 of Veg

Update. Day 35 of Veg

And it's the end of the 5th week.

I defoliated at the beginning of the week, at day 29 and also yesterday, I transplanted into their final container of 11 liters (3 gal).

Both plants are recovered both from the topping and the defoliation; I expect that in the next couple of days they will explode with growth thanks to the up potting, so any time now I'll be switching to 12/12 since they are just at the height I want, that been 15 cm (6 inches).

Once I finish my current bag of soil (still enough for another round) I'll try a light mix, since I'm seeing cal / mag deficiency signs, but even at 100 ppm solution I get slight nute burn.

Enough words, here's a couple of pictures, both at day 29 (defoliation day) and 35 (current)

Athos

Day 7 of Flower

Day 7 of Flower

It’s the end of the 1st week of flowering.

I switched to 12/12 after 5 weeks of veg and I’m keeping the 6500K bulbs for now, probably until the end of the 3d week of flowering.

There was no transplant shock and both plants are growing a lot, no so much in height (1 cm per day), rather than bushing out; I probably should do some LST sometime during next week.

Since I transplanted from 2 liters to 11 liters just before entering flowering stage, there should not be any need of additional nutes for at least a month (I hope), well except for some Cal/Max. I’ve had a tough time dialing in the exact amount to use, too little and I get purple stems, too much and it burns the plants.

Finally here is how they look today.

Athos

Day 14 of flower

Day 14 of flower

It’s the end of the 2nd week of flower.

Plants are still stretching, the canopy is full, not like last time. I’ve been doing a bit of LST and even tried my hand with some supercropping, to see how the plant react and to give some of the shorter tops time to catch up. Even though this strain is a sativa, the height is completely within what I had planned and currently at 9 inches; I guess the 6500K bulbs are helping to keep the plants shorter during the stretch, just one more week and I’ll change them for the 3000K ones.

And now, pictures.

Athos

Day 21 of flower

Day 21 of flower

And it’s the end of the 3d week and with it the preflowering phase.

The plants have doubled their size and they are now 35 cm (14 inches), which is exactly what I wanted. Supercropping has been an invaluable tool to keep the canopy even and contrary to what I thought it wasn’t hard at all to do, actually it was way easier than doing LST.

Flowers started forming halfway during this week and I expect the plant to stop growing vertically sometime during next week.

Last watering, I didn’t use any Cal/Mg supplement because the foliage was a little on the darkish green side (Cal-Max is 2-0-0) and I prefer to avoid nitrogen overdose, perhaps next week I’ll resume it; anyway it has helped tremendously and this time the stems are green and not red.

I have just changed the bulbs now that the pre-flowering stage is over. Any day now I’ll be defoliating.

This is how the plants look today.

eddie.saw

Good job Athos! I just scanned the whole thread and I'm impressed! Did you post a dry weight? I may have missed it in my skimming.