What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What State Should I Move To

Mukind

Hello everyone, my receding hairline has made me realize I need to follow my dreams. So it's time for me to head out to a recreational state and take a crack at growing some trees.

I'm looking for the state/county that won't look twice at me if they find me with 10 lbs and a reasonable plant count. Or at least the most likely places where that will be the functional reality. It seems to be relatively easy to get a medical card in most of these states but it will take time and I'm not sure that I would want to sign up for anything anyway.

I would much prefer to try to make my living with lower penalties than jumping through hoops that ups the already high capital requirement to get in. I'm not skilled enough to justify this as it is, adding to my capital and time investment isn't going to help.

I'll give my impressions of the places that seem like the best or why I wouldn't want to go to others.

Alaska - Conflicting laws but not living north of Canada, it's cold enough in Illinois.

Colorado - Seems alright for now, but a major right wing/evangelical wild card base that could do anything. Has smell as part of the law, worst part about it IMO. So petty

Cali - Huge variance by county, more people, better product more rippers. Seems very in flux, hard to figure out what the actual legal limits to medical cannabis cultivation are in cali relative to other states. Seemingly very lax criminal penalties for illegal grow, very appealing

Oregon - Probably my second favorite so far, not great recreational rules but it seems like a place where as long as I don't bother my neighbors they aren't going to bother me. Relatively liberal state, penalties max out at 5 as as opposed to 60 years in Illinois

Washington - no home grows if i understand correctly for recreational, really limits a lot. No bueno

Nevada - Seems to have pretty good laws, but going to have to go pretty rural to ensure a dispensary doesn't open up within 25 miles of you. Draconian laws on driving with blood that will test positive at any level. Life sentences are the upper limit of the cannabis laws

Mass - Another state where the recreational rules are 6/12 plants with two adults. I like the newer states because it's easy to blend in, no one knows what a grow looks like yet.

Maine - Probably has the best laws for recreational home growers of them all. Unlimited seedlings (in veg, 24" height 18" width max), 12 immature plants (in veg, >24 height or >18 width), and 6 in flower

Really maine would have already won if it wasn't both too far north and probably very difficult to network in such a rural area. And nothing to send home unless I grow it myself.

So what do you guys think? What state is best and why? Did I totally slander your state with my little blurb? Let me know. Or just let me know where you think is the best to move and grow herb in the country and why. We all look for different things in a home and have different needs. And while some places may look great today the prospects for home growing may not be so great tomorrow.

Sorry for the long post

TLDR; tell me the place I should go if I want to just grow trees on my property and never have to tell the state. Where am I least likely to get a sentence that hurts. Now or in the future

It seems like Cali is that place. But the cost of living is holding me back. So convince me otherwise

KONY

Veteran
I do not know the answer to your question, however I would recommend going to visit whatever state you decide on, maybe once during winter and once during summer.

Unless you have already been there before during both seasons.

Are you planning on growing as a job? If not, your job should probably determine where you move. Maine has a very depressed job economy, except for a few key areas like IT, Healthcare, and Construction. Way easier to get a job in MA. However that state is way more populated and very liberal.

Maine is slightly more conservative, minus the weed laws.

Mukind

I do not know the answer to your question, however I would recommend going to visit whatever state you decide on, maybe once during winter and once during summer.

Unless you have already been there before during both seasons.

Are you planning on growing as a job? If not, your job should probably determine where you move. Maine has a very depressed job economy, except for a few key areas like IT, Healthcare, and Construction. Way easier to get a job in MA. However that state is way more populated and very liberal.

Maine is slightly more conservative, minus the weed laws.

The only one of the states I've spent any time outside touristy areas is colorado of the recreational states.

I can work remotely, HR should be ok with all these locations. My peers are spread over most of the country.

The main advantage to my work is I can go somewhere with a really low cost of living relative to the rest of the state. for that reason economic prospects outside cannabis aren't really a huge concern to me beyond if/when I purchase land.

I'll definitely take a trip out there before I sign a lease, I've never rented a place without seeing it first.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What you state about CO is totally false.
CO is a pretty liberal state with the exception of a few small very conservative communities.

The advantage CO has over every single state that's legalized, is the fact that we passed an Amendment to our States Constitution then, in the last election cycle, made it even more difficult to change the Constitution.
This alone gives CO a huge advantage over other States.
Simple legislation, such as Citizen initiatives, Statutes & Regulations are severely disadvantaged because a politician can reverse the rule with a flick of a pen. Florida, I think, is the only other State to put a Constitutional Amendment in place to protect it's Citizens.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
True! CO has it's many benefits....but trying to find work in cannabis industry can be difficult. There's so much more to CO than tiny pockets of conservatism. Culture, outdoor recreation...you can't beat it!

Like other poster said....vacation in several areas....get to know the locals, read their newspapers....then decide.

Mukind

What you state about CO is totally false.
CO is a pretty liberal state with the exception of a few small very conservative communities.

The advantage CO has over every single state that's legalized, is the fact that we passed an Amendment to our States Constitution then, in the last election cycle, made it even more difficult to change the Constitution.
This alone gives CO a huge advantage over other States.
Simple legislation, such as Citizen initiatives, Statutes & Regulations are severely disadvantaged because a politician can reverse the rule with a flick of a pen. Florida, I think, is the only other State to put a Constitutional Amendment in place to protect it's Citizens.

Colorado is a swing state...Their evangelical streak is pretty well known. It's always in play in teh presidential election and state wide elections for both parties.

Illinois is not a very liberal place, but we don't turn red on presidential election years, haven't since Reagan who was born here.

Both parties are produce viable statewide candidates in CO

And even with the constitutional amendment, my protections are less than in Cali and not even better than Oregon.

http://norml.org/laws/item/colorado-penalties

http://norml.org/laws/item/california-penalties

Literally the only thing worse in cali law is the forfeiture. And oregon while in some places is worse if you're actually doing anything that's going to make you some money oregon is the better place to be.

And I have no desire to tell the state I'm committing a federal crime. Or have them watch me grow. And I don't plan to be adhering to these rules in any way

Mukind

True! CO has it's many benefits....but trying to find work in cannabis industry can be difficult. There's so much more to CO than tiny pockets of conservatism. Culture, outdoor recreation...you can't beat it!

Like other poster said....vacation in several areas....get to know the locals, read their newspapers....then decide.

Looking at a place is nice, but irrelevant next to law...

The whole point of leaving where I am is to live under better legal conditions.

Where I am Im' better off manufacturing psilocybin because the penalties are similar and the profit margins are much better indoors

OutdoorDiego

California.

If you keep your head clean and just be cool. Most people don't care, my neighbors local PD, another is a firefighter who uses marijuana infrequently. Most adults if not all in my neighborhood have smoked. There are your occasional dweebs/evangelical or proper Catholic Mexican family, however I'd be shocked otherwise. We live in a conservative area, gun friendly and individualist by nature.

We live in a good area with middle to upper class neighborhood characteristics for our location in northern California south east of Sacramento and East of the SF bay area.

Job prospects are not the best, but our soft economy is going to get a rapid jolt of fiscal and regulatory deregulation. You'll find a job if you look, but if growing marijuana and not wanting to make noise. You can.

Here's an Example
My neighbor the cop is evangelical type and a cop, but he's cool. I'm a 2A guy and I'm a stand up dude, he knows I personally manufacture firearms and also knows I smoke weed. No biggie.

When a home was rented to tenant(grower) on our cul-de-sac who grew marijuana in the home whilst they stopped seldom to the house (weekly) it wasn't an issue as wel when this was brought to the attention of our cop neighbor. The house was subsequently rented to a great neighbor whose been here years after. But the "non-incident" happened when a local gossipy dweeb type homeowner caught wind of the grow.

Blacked out Windows and an electrical meter stacking like crazy. Why? Our neighbor(h/owner) was getting solar installed (Quite Popular), and since their electrical meters were next to each other she tested her usage against the grow house. Since, the grower/renter of the house makes a few weekly stops but doesn't show signs of living there it was obvious.

He finished his grows without incident. It was just a vacant house in our mind, but it was properly maintained and our neighborhood activities went on as usual.

Don't flaunt it, such as smoking in public in places lacking the proper atmosphere and you're fine. Be respectful of your neighbors, but if your environment is urban or metro and really who cares. California man.

That being said, California is BIG! You can get lost for cheap, acreage relative to income. I almost bought this 2nd Home.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20565-Old-Buchanan-Mine-Rd-Tuolumne-CA-95379/16204138_zpid/

That's 4.87 acres backing up to NF land. Our forests are vast and but up against more NF and more until your at the wilderness areas of the high Sierra. It's a playground here, I prefer the Sierra Nevada's to the beaches or urbanite areas, but it's very enjoyable to drive beaches and coastal redwood forests or the beauty of Yosemite in a days trip.

On a modest income in California having a modest but plentiful life is very affordable but other States have much lower overheads. I do believe in premium of California vs. Cost.

The one drawback is extremely liberal state government is bureaucratic and not Constitutionalist, the tendency is Nanny state. Evidence by continued assault on 2A.

OutdoorDiego

Just noticed the link was dead to the home since it's closing this week. I lost out. I'm in Real Estate by the way :) , if I can help you relocate.(MLO)

The home was $149,000 - in Tuolomne, County. Elevation 2500ft to 3000ft mountainous or so,
Individualist spirit county and they believe in freedom, gold country California.

Maine all the way plenty of herb to be sold as long as you ain't on the Canadian border best lobster prices in the nation. Beaches fuck CO it's a shitty ass land locked state whatever you can do in CO you can do in Maine plus a hole lot more might be a little north but it doesn't get as cold as the Midwest.

igrowone

Veteran
East coast is more populated and less competition so more money can be made.

got that right
want to guess how much canna will be coming through to NY from the Maine/Massachusetts pipeline?
i think 'a lot' is a good ballpark guess
and the Vermont legislature has brought back MJ legalization to the legislative docket
shit is happening fast, NY is going to absolutely hate the thought of untaxed weed flowing in from other states
so to the OP, maybe sitting tight and watching for a little while longer is a good move
cause the times are a changing

Mukind

got that right
want to guess how much canna will be coming through to NY from the Maine/Massachusetts pipeline?
i think 'a lot' is a good ballpark guess
and the Vermont legislature has brought back MJ legalization to the legislative docket
shit is happening fast, NY is going to absolutely hate the thought of untaxed weed flowing in from other states
so to the OP, maybe sitting tight and watching for a little while longer is a good move
cause the times are a changing

Well things definitely are up in the air all over the country.

I've been waiting too long, I need to make a move by the end of the year. The plan is to learn and pray for legalization in illinois, where I have connections and can really get in there. If that doesn't work out I can think about moving to a place like Maine where I have skills and the confidence to put some real capital behind my moves.

The main problem with maine is if I get caught riding with weight the penalties are large. And if I get caught breaking cultivation rules the penalties are large

California is the closest thing we have to true recreational. Maine has great growing rules but getting caught breaking them and they'll still fuck you

More than 5g's of hash is a felony, 5 years

Cali it's a 500 dollar fine and at the absolute maximum 6 months in jail

igrowone

Veteran
^^^ you're definitely doing your homework
sales are going to carry some risk, and the reward is often proportional to the risk
this thread is good as it is capturing some of the changes in the country at the moment

packerfan79

Veteran
California is full of growers, everywhere you go. I know a 60 year old lady who runs a 60 light warehouse. Its doable but with the cocorporate interest are chomping at the bit to crush the small and mid level operations. Rappers are selling there endorsement for big bucks. Growing and selling weed in California is a grind if you keep it in state

Mukind

California is full of growers, everywhere you go. I know a 60 year old lady who runs a 60 light warehouse. Its doable but with the cocorporate interest are chomping at the bit to crush the small and mid level operations. Rappers are selling there endorsement for big bucks. Growing and selling weed in California is a grind if you keep it in state

My understanding as an outsider is that the market is too competitive for me to do well even if I have the some high quality herb right out of the gate. But the advantages are plentiful. More chances to learn from others. Better access to genetics . And I'm really only risking anything meaningful when I ship

So yea maybe harvesting won't grow my bank, but I will learn and have other opportunities for profit. Not much difference between sending my own and some one elses back home.

Mukind

Just noticed the link was dead to the home since it's closing this week. I lost out. I'm in Real Estate by the way :) , if I can help you relocate.(MLO)

The home was $149,000 - in Tuolomne, County. Elevation 2500ft to 3000ft mountainous or so,
Individualist spirit county and they believe in freedom, gold country California.

I had considered buying, but having never been outside what I think was downtown San Diego as a child I've never done anything more than make a connection on a flight.

I looked up north at some plots, don't know enough about off grid living to justify it though. And the lots that are near water/power hook ups but just hte land has too high a value.

edit - obviously some of this is soil composition and water table concerns. But seriously I want a basement do I have to go to the suburbs to find one/

I'm going to rent a while and get a feel for the state. Have more confidence when the lease runs out.

If you have a link for renters I'd love that. A main problem I have with a lot of these houses especially ranches is there is no basement. As a midwesterner this is a travesty, what kind of drug lord doesn't have a basement?

DAT

I lived in WA for 8 years.. I now have lived in OR for the past year.
I lived in Cali for 5 years.
Visited CO several times .
For growing outdoors Cali. unless you want to live in Eastern OR or Eastern Wa forget about growing outside.
THe PNW people are a special breed. lol. To be frank, these people might drive you fuckin nuts with the their far left liberal mind set. Cali is the coolest, people are friendly , a lot more hip, more culture. Weather is great.. Lots of stuff to do with LA, San Fran...but its outrageously expensive. East Coast, West Coast..very very different type of people. I agree with Kony, you should go visit some places.
As far as Cali, i was just looking at Stockton and modesto to move. They are in the central valley and the cost of living is a lot lower then the rest of Cali.
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts