What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mysterious condition dubbed 'scromiting' hits weed smokers across the US !

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Friend of a friend got some. For the last few years it has been excellant. But these dots are amazing. Some fool put raw L in a pill press. Eat enough and it is as good as a thumbprint.

hellfire

You can treat it with peppers, heh.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29122973

The use of topical capsaicin cream to treat CHS has been well described in the adult literature. This treatment is cost-effective and is associated with few serious side effects. Here, we describe 2 adolescent patients with nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain in the setting of chronic cannabis use whose symptoms were not relieved by standard antiemetic therapies, but who responded well to topical capsaicin administration in our pediatric emergency department. We also discuss the pathophysiology behind capsaicin's efficacy. These are the first reported cases in which capsaicin was successfully used to treat CHS in pediatric patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28494183

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS) is characterized by symptoms of cyclic abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting in the setting of prolonged cannabis use. The transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 (TRPV1) receptor may be involved in this syndrome. Topical capsaicin is a proposed treatment for CHS; it binds TRPV1 with high specificity, impairing substance P signaling in the area postrema and nucleus tractus solitarius via overstimulation of TRPV1. This may explain its apparent antiemetic effect in this syndrome.

It was first reported from Australia...not sure how much pesticide use is there. I think this is most likely a real condition with symptoms, whether or not spraying chemicals causes it is a good question but speculation won't get us very far. On the other hand it could also be something like an allergic reaction to specific people.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774264/

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've found the reaction to be pretty universal, meaning I haven't found anyone *not* affected by it. Reactions range from low level muscle pain, hard muscles around the kidneys and slowed digestion (massively mis-diagnosed and treated as other things)... all the way to scromiting, as it were.

(edit: Every vague guess and wrong thinking made in this thread, has already been voiced in the other Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome threads on here. Pages and pages of people guessing and supposing things which have nothing to do with CHS. Fact: 99% of the CHS sufferers are using aza tainted cannabis or have no idea what's on their cannabis. Fact: I've come across a total of TWO growers who swear up and down they grow clean, and still have CHS. Only a super small group of people seem to be affected by cannabis alone, while the rest are being exposed to neem/aza. Fact: When I've given people with CHS CLEAN cannabis, they don't have a CHS reaction and instead they only experience relief. )

Gry

You can treat it with peppers, heh.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29122973

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28494183

It was first reported from Australia...not sure how much pesticide use is there. I think this is most likely a real condition with symptoms, whether or not spraying chemicals causes it is a good question but speculation won't get us very far. On the other hand it could also be something like an allergic reaction to specific people.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774264/

I deal with similar nausea as a result of cancer.
I have best results with a mixture of hot peppers and avocados for breakfast,
I consume intense curries for dinner.
Fluids are green tea mixed with ginger.
capsaicin has helped me more than anything else I have found.

CaptainDankness

maybe we shouldn't be surprised when you see threads like this

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=347955

Yeah, that is possible. Really even the 1:1 THC/CBD strains can possibly have negative effects let alone THCV and other cannabinoids I've heard about lately that people are trying to breed into cannabis no telling if they could have negative effects it's not like the regular old high THC weed we've been smoking since the reefer madness days.

Of course there is people working on GMO cannabis as well one website sells a few supposedly I heard of the one that supposedly constantly produces buds and someone else was recently talking about that website and apparently they have other so called GMO strains.

I do know Veritas Pharma Inc. is working on genetically engineering cannabis of course I doubt any of their work is available to the public. But we can definitely have some small time chemists playing around with genetics.

Really people have been doing that for a long time I believe it was Robert Clarke's Marijuana Botany book from the 80's that mentioned colchicine and making polyploid marijuana plants that could possibly be stronger.

Really no way to tell what people are doing to the weed unless you grow and breed it yourself. I've never had negative effects but I haven't bought weed in years except the occasional bag of brick weed mostly just to grow the seeds out Haze, Skunk and many other strains have all come from import brick weed for the most part. Of course minus the Afghan genetics.

I doubt that we can say it is truly just one factor, because individual physiology will be a factor in every case. In addition to the factor(s) that cause the episode when interacting with the individual body. Although I think Douglas Curtis is most likely right. The truly sad thing about all of this from a growing practices point of view is that we have reached the point of preventative spraying. Especially in larger operations, it has become part of "best" practices. Oh, it's week x of stage y of growth, then let's spray at this rate, even if a threshold or injury level hasn't been reached. And some people say it's an organic or natural product, so it's o.k. just spray it. It doesn't matter what the product is. And I think nowadays if people see a crop going to shit, they will spray it to get it to a point where it can be turned into some form of concentrate so they can still get there money. Growing your own is the only path to peace of mind nowadays.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
If the cause is pesticides, there will always be some farmer/grower out there that will apply those pesticides to their crops to "save/get their plants to market"

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I doubt that we can say it is truly just one factor, because individual physiology will be a factor in every case. In addition to the factor(s) that cause the episode when interacting with the individual body. Although I think Douglas Curtis is most likely right. The truly sad thing about all of this from a growing practices point of view is that we have reached the point of preventative spraying. Especially in larger operations, it has become part of "best" practices. Oh, it's week x of stage y of growth, then let's spray at this rate, even if a threshold or injury level hasn't been reached. And some people say it's an organic or natural product, so it's o.k. just spray it. It doesn't matter what the product is. And I think nowadays if people see a crop going to shit, they will spray it to get it to a point where it can be turned into some form of concentrate so they can still get there money. Growing your own is the only path to peace of mind nowadays.

They should not be allowed to grow! Period.

And the more I think about it this screaming vomit thing is new. Weed has been around forever. The only thing that has changed is the amount of large commercial grows. I have heard from enough people how they cannot lose a crop, gotta make their money. Fuck them. Pisses me off so bad.

I can usually go a few years with nothing more than a gnat or so. When something does move in, ususlly mites. I release predator mites. I do not move anything new to flower. I clean my operation repeatedly. I neem my veg room every 3rd day religously. When flower room has no plants I bug bomb, bleach and move in clean bug free plants. In almost 20 years of growing I have resorted to systemics one time. I cleaned my moms, waited a month. Took new clones, killed the moms and no bugs. No poison.
My friends and custumers know I only sell poison free herb and none of them ever get the screaming puke syndrome.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
not sure but isn't gm cannabis a myth so far? what need to go gm when you can do natural crossing? or is that where those high cbd bellow 1% thc strains are coming from, genetic manipulation?

the one shinning gem of truth thats being repeated again and again in this thread, the only way to be sure of your end product is to grow it yourself.

CaptainDankness

not sure but isn't gm cannabis a myth so far? what need to go gm when you can do natural crossing? or is that where those high cbd bellow 1% thc strains are coming from, genetic manipulation?

the one shinning gem of truth thats being repeated again and again in this thread, the only way to be sure of your end product is to grow it yourself.

The seeds they are selling are probably a myth, but this company Veritas Pharma Inc. is working on genetically engineering cannabis they hold a patented cultivar not sure if it's GM or not, but they have had on their investors statement for about 2 years that they were trying to create new cannabis cultivars through genetic engineering.

Doubt any of the plants have reached the public yet though.

M

moose eater

Do they define what 'genetic engineering' actually means in their dictionary?

CaptainDankness

• Examples of plant cultivar protection include:
– Plant Breeders’ Rights Act in Canada1
– Patent Act protection for fully described and validated new uses of
specific cultivars for specific medical conditions, especially for those
strains previously recognized as being effective, or with new strains
of cannabis obtained by genetic engineering2

• Expanding IP strategy to world-wide patents

You can read the full PDF file here.

http://veritaspharmainc.com/investors/presentations/

soil margin

Veteran
So are me and my friends just the luckiest people in the world? To go decades smoking grams every day and never encounter any symptoms or condition like this CHS/scromiting. I've never even heard anyone mention it like an urban legend or something. If it is real it must be insanely rare.

Latest posts

Latest posts