What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A 20-Year Study on Marijuana Use Yields 5 Surprising Finds

RetroGrow

Veteran
The "Motley Fool" does Cannabis, citing a 20 year study:

"Marijuana laws and public perception have come a long, long way over the past 20 years.

In 1996, we witnessed the first approval for marijuana on a medical basis by a state, and in 2012, Washington and Colorado became the first two states to approve marijuana use on a recreational, adult-use basis. As I write today, there are 23 states that have legalized medical marijuana and four states that now allow marijuana to be used on a recreational basis.

Public perception has been a major motivator in this shift. According to Gallup, which polls Americans every so often on whether or not they believe marijuana should be legal, just one in four respondents 20 years ago were in favor of legalization. That figure stood at 58% as of 2013. Between the need for additional revenue at the state level to help reduce or close budget gaps and providing solutions to people with serious medical conditions, marijuana's momentum is undeniable.

I'd be remiss, though, if I didn't also state that many questions remain, such as whether or not the government will change its stance on marijuana being a schedule 1 drug, and if marijuana's benefits outweigh its risks. The last question is particularly hard to answer as we have very limited long-term data, and what we do have was primarily focused on the risks of marijuana rather than the benefits.

Five intriguing marijuana finds
However, a recently released study from Dr. Wayne Hall, a the director of the Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research at the University of Queensland, sheds new light, both good and bad, on long-term marijuana use.

Hall's study examined the effect of marijuana over a 20-year period (1993-2013), and was made possible by the fact that recreational cannabis use has risen, and stronger cannabis has become available in recent years. Hall's review notes that between 1980 and 2006, the amount of THC found in marijuana increased more than fourfold to 8.5% from less than 2%.

Specifically, Hall's review led to five intriguing findings about marijuana:

1. It's essentially impossible to overdose on marijuana

One of the most common comments I've received in my research into medical marijuana from readers is that "no one has ever overdosed from smoking marijuana." This turns to out to practically be true, according to Hall's review. The study points out that it would take between 15 grams and 70 grams of marijuana to cause someone to overdose, which is an amount higher than even a heavy user could consume in a day.

By comparison, opioid analgesics, which are commonly used to treat pain, one of the indications for which marijuana is typically prescribed, led to 16,007 deaths in 2012 based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In other words, the implication is that marijuana might be a solution to dramatically reducing opioid-related overdose deaths.

2. Marijuana use and driving don't mix
We know that drinking and driving don't mix, but Dr. Hall's study, which included a meta-analysis of drivers who smoked and a control group that didn't, definitively showed that smoking marijuana nearly doubles your risk of an accident.

Why does this matter? A number of states are beginning to legalize marijuana for recreational use, so there's concern we could see an increase in accidents caused by marijuana. Further, the review in Australia notes that public education about the dangers of driving under the influence of marijuana may not be enough to deter drivers. There would have to be a real fear of their cannabis use being detected by law enforcement in order to get drivers to give up their keys.

3. Cannabis addiction exists, especially in adolescents
A good chunk of negative marijuana studies focus on the drugs' effect in adolescents. It turns out that those fears may be on target. Per Dr. Hall's review, cannabis addiction does exist, and it's more prevalent in adolescents than adults. One in 10 adults who use marijuana on a regular basis become addicted to it compared to one in six adolescents.

4. Marijuana can negatively impact your IQ
It turns out that marijuana can actually lower your IQ as well, but according to the review, only if you're a heavy marijuana user. The study notes that "these effects on IQ were only found in the small proportion of cannabis users who initiated in adolescence and persisted in daily use throughout their 20s and into their 30s." This news mirrors a recent abstract we examined that showed marijuana users on average had a slightly lower IQ than non-users.

In addition to potentially lower IQs, the review also suggests that cannabis use is strongly associated with the use of other illicit drugs.

5. Marijuana's long-term effect on respiratory health is inconclusive
Lastly, Dr. Hall's study also brought up one glaring inconclusive finding: that being whether smoking marijuana had a negative effect on the users' respiratory function. Previous studies have gone both ways on this question, and this review notes that there's no conclusive evidence that smoking marijuana will lead to reduced respiratory function or respiratory cancer. The primary reason this turned out inconclusive is because most marijuana users were also smoking tobacco products, making it impossible to differentiate the effect on the body of one from the other.

Bifurcated results for marijuana
Based on the study's findings, the outlook for medical marijuana and recreational marijuana is widely bifurcated.
With inconclusive data on the long-term respiratory effects of marijuana, and given the fact that a person's chances of overdosing from marijuana are extremely slim, it potentially strengthens the case for exploring marijuana's medical benefit profile. Let's remember that marijuana can be absorbed a number of ways beyond smoking, so the respiratory concern can possibly be eliminated.
This would be good news for GW Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: GWPH ) , a predominantly clinical-stage company focused on creating drugs using the more than five dozen cannabinoid compounds it's discovered to date. Currently, it has just one drug approved outside the U.S. (Sativex), which is absorbed as an oramucosal spray to treat spasticity associated with multiple scleorsis, but is working on a range of additional studies, including cancer pain, type 2 diabetes, and adult and pediatric epilepsy. As long as marijuana studies continue to point toward the drug being safe to use, it'll only further strengthen the need for GW and its peers to conduct more research into its potential uses.

On the other hand, the case for recreational expansion continues to take a hit based on these studies. Although the four states that have approved marijuana for purchase have strict age requirements in place, it's clear from a number of other statistics and studies that adolescents are still getting their hands on this drug -- and that adolescents are the most susceptible to negative effects from its use.

As an investor, I continue to view the space with cautious optimism. I'd be thrilled to see marijuana or marijuana-based compounds help patients control serious diseases. But, I'm also a realist who understands that the federal government is unlikely to change its stance on marijuana anytime soon. Also, a vast majority of marijuana-based companies simply don't have viable business models, so you might as well be throwing your nest egg at the roulette table and hoping for the best. I'll continue to closely follow marijuana studies moving forward, but I have no intention of investing in the space anytime soon."

The "comments" section is interesting:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...study-on-marijuana-use-yields-5-surprisi.aspx

the iq thing makes sense, kinda. I mean if you smoke all the time starting as a teen and continue doing so all the way through your 20 and do other drugs as well.

I mean that would make anyone dumber. not because of the weed but because chances are you are not a productive person and get very little academic stimulation.

so I can agree that a long term drug addict would loose iq points because their time is spent chasing a high rather than engaging life and learning things. like a moderate or even heavy user of just marijuana would. of course this is just my thoughts on the subject.

dddaver

Veteran
When I first saw the news report of the study I noticed it came from "Queensland" and was sponsored by the GWPH pharmaceutical company. Those 2 things alone made me question any "findings".

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'll say that :
1- is true.
2-i call bullshit, unless you ride around all day & smoke constantly.
3-possible, but I have never seen it in over 40 years & knowing hundreds of others that partake.
4-all legitimate research (non-partisan studies) that I have read clarified this by saying "heavy usage by early adolescence & continuing through life, possibly influenced by useage of other intoxicants."
5-some of the research that I have read showed unusual results on this - IE- that folks that "smoked cannabis AND tobacco had a lower incidence of lung cancer than those that only smoked tobacco, thus opening the door for queries into the possibility that cannabis use had some unidentified mechanism that protected the lungs from the deleterious effects of tobacco."-

Last edited:

rastas

Oh my, no one has ever overdosed, what a result!

Driving high, well depends on what is the tolerance level of the person. Ive witnessed with my own eyes people smoking while driving and not causing any accidents or danger situations in traffic. I would go as far as saying that people driving while high have less road rage and do not drive as fast. But, if a first time user goes behind the wheel, I understand that he/she can cause harm.

Addiction is understandable, someone can get addicted. Well, Im addicted, addicted to a lot of things, for example coffee, marijuana, growing, art, music, peace and beauty, but since no one will die of withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, I would say, not a big deal. It is important to protect children and adolescents from drugs, but it is also important to give them thruthfull information about everything in life. Everything is biased, just think who wrote history, the ones that lived, in other words, the winners. Ive seen people fighting withdrawal symptons from legal heroin derivate drugs, not a sight for sore eyes. My withdrawal symptom from marijuana basically is sleeplessness, for a night or two, after that, everything is back to normal. What is normal, by the way? For example, my withdrawal symptons from coffee is far more dangerous.. its headache, goddamn headache, and goes on for hours.

The IQ thing does not make sense to me at all, since it depends on the persons interests and actions. Also, whole understanding of IQ is biased since it, in my opinion, measures wrong factors of human intelligence. Of course a smoker that doesnt persue anything that would develop him/her mentally and physically will in fact slow human development, what a conclusion! Dah! I only have my own experience, so let me enlighten.
I smoke a lot, yes, I admit. Ive been smoking almost 10 years. How much Ive smoked, has always been factored by how much sensi I have, so, I could have smoked even more. Enough about that. I am no idiot, though. I finished college half a year in advance, if that proves anything. I am interested in a lot of things, and I say that marijuana has actually boosted my human development as it has given me third party insight in a lot of things, if You catch my drift. I write and read a lot, yes, while beign high as well. I also paint, high as a kite. The amount of ideas and understanding that Ive gathered while beign high is immense. What Im saying is that, development of human IQ is affected by so many factors, I cannot prove that marijuana doesnt slow this process, but I am stating that in my case, it has not, the opposite to be exact.

Ive played European Football since I was 6 years old. Someone even actually paid my college tuitions for playing for our university. After my collegiate career I have played semi-pro receiving a monthly salary for doing that. During this whole time, I hit the bong and rolled sweets, a lot.. Only when I had been smoking with tobacco mixed in it that I noticed effects on my lungs and respiratory health. Tobacco is bad for you.

B

Baked Alaskan

"Surprising" facts because they are mostly not true.

No one has ever been in the gutter or on skid row begging for a marijuana; because its not addictive.

jd4083

Veteran
"Surprising" facts because they are mostly not true.

No one has ever been in the gutter or on skid row begging for a marijuana; because its not addictive.

I agree that this article is severely lacking in citations and concrete factual information, but to imply that cannabis isn't addictive because there are not people "in the gutter or on skid row begging for marijuana" is asinine. Anything that alters your state of mind can be addictive. The argument you are trying to make is that cannabis is not physically addictive, which is generally accepted as true by both sides. It comes down to a question of personal responsibility from individual to individual. Either way, as far as I'm concerned, a person who is "addicted to pot" (a "pothead" or "stoner," or whatever your preferred term is) is of no danger to society whatsoever, whereas a "true" drug addict can never be trusted and will lie, cheat, steal, and hurt others along the way to get his drug of choice.

Hell, I'll admit to being "addicted to pot" in that I am mentally dependent on it in certain ways. I've been smoking it near-daily for over a decade and I'm sure that there is some degree of self-medication involved there. I won't claim to speak for anyone else, but I feel that this is probably true for many of our fellow members here. That doesn't mean that I couldn't quit today, and it certainly doesn't mean that being "addicted to pot" is even close to being as acutely damaging as being an alcoholic or hard drug addict, but I don't delude myself into thinking that there are absolutely no negatives to chronic cannabis use. You would have to be really ignorant to think that was the case.

Pot is really enjoyable and doesn't do a lot of damage compared to "real drugs" -- but its perceived innocuousness does not negate its ability to be detrimental to its users if used in excess or with existing psychological issues. How many people do you know that smoke every day and have for years or decades but claim not to be addicted? They can "quit anytime they want," they just never do.

As with anything in life, particularly drug use, YMMV. I do think that in order for us to get to the point where we have objective scientific evidence for both sides of the debate and the ability to really put the facts under the proverbial microscope, we need to be objective enough ourselves to play the devil's advocate and consider all points with as little bias as is humanly possible.

jd4083

Veteran
Here's that "devil's advocate" thing in action....

Yea, I wouldn't agree with the whole IQ thing, either...(I've been smoking every day since I was about 14 years old.)

I don't know one way or the other on that one, but how would you know either way? Did you get a professionally administered IQ test before you started smoking and several others along the way to determine that your IQ has not changed or are you just assuming that this is the case? Not attacking, asking for clarification.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
bifurcated...just another way to say 'opinion'.

funny how those 'studies' never look for beneficial aspects...like curing cancer, ameliorating pain, anti-emetic, anti-spasmodic, etc.etc...

gotta keep 'em down!

GW pharma keeps losing my respect.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Well, with 45 years of smoking i have never overdosed, had a problem driving, been addicted to weed, i have run a couple businesses. I definitely can not say the same for alcohol, and tobacco. I think that the only reason that people use other illicit drugs is they were available in the same circle...

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can O.D. on it if you ingest enough (aka "bad trip") plenty on here have done it.
over dose=too much ................ over dose doesn't = foaming at the mouth,fall over dead.

B

Baked Alaskan

You are correct jd, i did mean physically addictive, i don't think anything can be considered addictive unless physical. But the fact is no one has ever been homeless because of physical addiction to cannabis. Most other intoxicants have large numbers of homeless addicts.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Weed is not addictive... You can develop a psychological dependence on it, as you can with many things (foods etc) but true addiction gives physical symptoms- pains, tremors, hallucinations and all sorts of nasty shit. I watched a relative go through this time and again with the drink, before it eventually killed him and there is a whole world of difference between and addiction and a dependence.
And it doesn't make your iq lower either.
Bullshit geared to support the pharmaceutical industry.

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
#4 :laughing:

i-cannot-brain-today-i-has-the-dumb-cat.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts