What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado Legalizes Recreational Marijuana!

Yellowmoon

Excellent! Couldn't see this one happening anywhere in the U.S.

It's interesting to see the consenquences. In the best case... coffee shops? One can dream.

:)

Obsidian

Veteran
no one will buy from the dispensaries hopefully. They are required to record your private info, take pics of buyers, record your habit of buying, turn it into the state etc.

with state run stores there is only the need to show proof of age if asked, just as with liquor stores. It's going to interesting to see a real herb shop.
hopefully they set quality guidelines for organics, with testing and microscopic exams to test for bugs and poisons. This way we can eliminate the greedy shitty growers, like we did here in Nederland, CO.

MtnLivin

I don't think herb shops will ever even open to be honest. The feds are going to shut them down just as quick as they set up.

Blue Socks

Yeah like they are trying to shut down the dispensaries. They may get some but they can't get all of them. They don't have the manpower or resources to do it. Whenever they go on their raids they have to deputize the local LEO to back them up because they don't have enough field agents to do the job themselves. If it was a raid of just DEA agents they could probably raid about .001% of all operating locations. If enough stores open up they will never shut them all down just like the dispensaries. The genie is out of the bottle.

The local PD's really better follow their state's laws and DO NOT participate in any Federal enforcement actions if they occur

DrPoison

POISON GENETICS.
ICMag Donor
Fan-fuckin'-tastic news! Hope positive things come of this in the near future! Glad to see the tax money is going into helping schools. Keep the good publicity coming! Hopefully they will find other ways that MJ taxes can improve the community as well as the economy, so that other states can realize the potential benefits of legalization/regulating. We need to get rid of all the negative stereotypes that follow MJ use too. Hopefully, no "horror-stories" hit the news anytime soon...then, hopefully the rest of the USA will follow in CO's footsteps! (fingers crossed) Congrats CO! Light em up!

MtnLivin

Yeah like they are trying to shut down the dispensaries. They may get some but they can't get all of them. They don't have the manpower or resources to do it. Whenever they go on their raids they have to deputize the local LEO to back them up because they don't have enough field agents to do the job themselves. If it was a raid of just DEA agents they could probably raid about .001% of all operating locations. If enough stores open up they will never shut them all down just like the dispensaries. The genie is out of the bottle.

The local PD's really better follow their state's laws and DO NOT participate in any Federal enforcement actions if they occur

Things are different when medical reasons come into play.

BeanSprout

No Brainer

No Brainer

I moved to CO about 1 1/2 years ago. When I recently went to vote and saw the ballot initiative to allow growing of up to 6 MJ plants I just stood there and said to myself.. Duh yea.

It was a no brainer. People need to realize that CO has the best managed Medical MJ system on the planet and since the FEDS have much bigger issues (like the repubs) it is likely that CO and WA will become test implementations of new MJ law IMO.

At any rate I am glad to be part of this groundbreaking legislation that I always believed would come to pass in my lifetime.

Cheers and thanks to my fellow forward looking Colorado neighbors.

To the rest of the planet - get with it :)

Cheers
jj

PS - unlike the DAM we get more sunshine here every year than San Diego so please visit and I hope to see you all at a bake soon.

STUNKY

Thats the truth bluesocks.. From what i gather.. yeah the fed might not like it, but if the local leo and such don't bother you for growing smoking then all u gotta do is just don't do anything to piss the feds of to come looking for ya, cause they aren't gonna mess with people at there houses. unless u are moving stuff outta state ... Coloradians and all the US are very fortunate and it will be interesting to see how the state and how federal uphold this law.. If other states and other people see that the feds let this slide this will spread like wildfire.. If you can get the support I can see it on alotta ballots soon..MILLIONS have been waiting on this day and its only right to be able to live without the fear of the man getting all you own..

MtnLivin

Also when it comes to the no manpower or resources. It's the feds dude. They can just make money, which they do. Look at here in California for example. All it took was a LETTER so shut down most dispensaries throughout the state. Maybe 25% of the amount of clubs are left open. Like I also said things are A LOT different when medical reasons come into play.

Would I love to see pot shops and cafes pop up all over the place? Hell yes I would. But my instincts tell me the feds are not going to take this lightly. Colorado and Washington just spit in their face. Maybe they will get off California's ass for a while at least.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
All it took was a LETTER so shut down most dispensaries throughout the state. Maybe 25% of the amount of clubs are left open.

Whatever 'regulations' get put into play... it would be very helpful if they didn't make it federally 'obvious' as to what the nature of the business was on paper.

As in... you'd physically have to GO to the business and take a look at what's on the shelves... before you would know it was a dispensary or cannabis outlet.

Know what I mean?

Who do you send your 'letters' to if you don't know which properties are being used for what?

The sheriff of every county also has the power to stop the feds at the border and tell them Nuh, Uh! No federal warrant, no federal activity in my county. Seriously. The feds really rely on local help... A LOT.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

hereigrow

Awesome news but I'm hoping Colorado residents can b kind of ambassadors; to give the rest of the country an example of responsible regulation and taxing; show everyone how much benefit and revenue the industry has.

If the amount of intercepted packages headed east rises i smell a shit storm and a bunch of I told you sos.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
everyone in COs jumping on board

Dz4HqOTc8UqrmarwxaFxng2.jpg

ttripperr

I agree, if local law enforcment are not looking for you or watching you, how would the feds ever find out about what you are doing. Without local law enforcment they would be streched very thin indeed.

Govenor Hickenlooper has 30 days, by law, to sign the proclamation or he can then be sued. And the MMJ attorneys around here said if it is not signed he will be sued that day. Which is Dec. 6.

"The voters have spoken and we have to respect their will. This will be a complicated process, but we intend to follow through. That said, federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug so don’t break out the Cheetos or gold fish too quickly. " said Gov. Hickenlooper.

But others, like Colorado marijuana attorney Robert Corry -- a participant in The Huffington Post's "Great Marijuana Debate" -- thought the governor's apparent levity deserved some levity in turn -- specifically, in the form of Cheetos and Goldfish that Corry hand-delivered, with his daughter, to Hickenlooper's office as a light-hearted reminder that Coloradans are, in fact, ready to legalize, 9News first reported.
"Colorado made history on election night in beginning the end of prohibition," Corry told The Huffington Post. "Voters want the governor to issue the proclamation without procrastination. He should taste his Cheetos and Goldfish so that we can taste freedom." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/rob-corry-colorado-mariju_n_2093469.html

We still do not have this right to posses marijuana untill the proclamation is signed, the way I understand it.

sprinkl

Veteran
"Obama would like to see MMJ in the hands of the pharmaceutical industry, not in the hands of the people"
proof? peer reviews? papers? articles?
I want to see some hard facts and evidence.
there is none. just hearsay.

The president of one of the most capitalist countries in the world is a puppet to the big industries and corporations, whether he wants it/knows it or not. Democracy is a scam, welcome to the 20th and 21st century! Money is power and a few have a lot more of it than the rest of us combined.

hopefully they set quality guidelines for organics, with testing and microscopic exams to test for bugs and poisons. This way we can eliminate the greedy shitty growers, like we did here in Nederland, CO.

Wait what, since when what where and in which shops exactly can I get such quality weed? I stopped going to NL years ago because I got waaay too many duds. Amsterdam could be closing down by the end of the year for tourists but the last time I went there left such a bad memory that I honestly don't care. If what you're saying is true I might have to reconsider though.

Definitely a step in the right direction, I hope Europe gets its head out of its capitalist arse already and fully legalizes too, some places are experimenting but nothing about it in the media ever, fofucksake
Every big company is closing factories to the left and right, people loosing jobs, our economy is falling apart, we sold out to the opportunistic capitalistic views and now we're getting fucked in the a, pisses me off damnit. And nobody's seeing it, all looking for a scapegoat like immigrants or poorer parts of the country instead of the multinationals and the big money that is the real cause... If Hitler was around now it'd be WW2 all over again.
Sorry for ranting, yay for Colorado!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
COLORADO DRUG INVESTIGATORS ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT’S MEMO

TO: All Members FROM: Ernie Martinez DATE: 11/7/12 SUBJECT: AMENDMENT 64

Dear Members and Associates:
Last night we witnessed an event that will have significant impact on our state and country as well as could determine the future we pass down to our children. Based on e-mails and telephone calls, I know that many of you are concerned and upset that a majority of Coloradans voted to legalize marijuana. Our team at CDIA, through Healthy and Drug Free Colorado, alongside the Chiefs, Sheriffs, District Attorneys and other anti-legalization groups put forth a tremendous effort. However, this effort could not compete with the millions of dollars poured into the campaign to legalize marijuana from out-of-state sources. The question is: what does this mean and what, if anything, can be done? First, let me give you my understanding of what this all means.
Once the vote is certified - which could take anywhere from 30 to 60 days, Amendment 64 will become a law in Colorado. Which means that, at the state level, it would be legal for individuals to grow six plants and/or possess an ounce of marijuana;;
The state of Colorado has until January 2014 to implement rules to license and regulate marijuana retail stores, marijuana cultivation sites, marijuana infusion centers and marijuana testing sites;; After January 1, 2014, the process of licensing and establishing centers would begin;
COLORADO DRUG INVESTIGATORS ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT’S MEMO
November 7, 2012
In the meantime, local jurisdictions will be working on its plans for allowing these
establishments or banning them;; What can be done?
The federal government could file a lawsuit and attempt to obtain an injunction to stop Colorado from implementing Amendment 64 since federal law preempts state law;; The federal government could step in and take enforcement action against any of the marijuana establishments and prosecute the individuals as well as seize assets;;
The state of Colorado could seek a legal opinion and refuse to implement certain provisions of Amendment 64 if the opinion finds that city, county and state employees would be violating federal law. This would then involve a lawsuit by the opposite side, which would end up in court. A similar action is currently taking place in Arizona regarding medical marijuana;;
In the meantime, CDIA will keep you advised of what is transpiring and continue to work with our partners to develop guidelines for officers dealing with marijuana issues. We need to continue exploring legal remedies as well as educating adults and youth about the harmful effects of marijuana use. We will continue using our prevention and education component, Healthy and Drug Free Colorado, in a leadership role. I have attached a letter from the Colorado Department of Revenue for your information.
Respectfully, President

DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
State Capitol Annex 1375 Sherman Street, Room 409 Denver, Colorado 80261 Phone (303) 866-3091 Fax (303) 866-2400

November 7, 2012
Colorado voters have approved an amendment to the state constitution that makes the personal use, possession and limited home-growing of marijuana legal under Colorado law for adults 21 years of age and older and requires the state to establish a system in which marijuana is regulated and taxed similarly to alcohol.
The possession and use of marijuana remains a crime under federal law. Persons who use marijuana for recreational purposes will still be subject to criminal prosecution under federal law.
Because federal law generally preempts state law, Colorado’s Department of Revenue will consult and work with the U.S. Department of Justice to understand the federal government’s approach in light of potential conflicts with federal laws.
The Department of Revenue will take into consideration the federal government’s intention to enforce federal marijuana prohibitions as the Department considers how to implement the regulatory and taxing system called for by the amendment.
Implementation Timeline:
␣ November 6, 2012 – General Election ␣ January 2013 – Legislative Session – Drafting of enabling legislation begins ␣ July 1, 2013 – Department shall adopt necessary regulations ␣ October 1, 2013 – Department shall begin accepting and processing license applications ␣ January 1, 2014 – Department must begin issuing licenses (90-day requirement) ␣ July 1, 2014 – Deadline for legislature to enact legislation concerning industrial hemp
John W. Hickenlooper Governor
Barbara J. Brohl Executive Director
Page 1 of 4
Issues to Consider Legal:
␣ The amendment directs the General Assembly to create a regulatory structure for sale of marijuana, which remains an illegal substance under federal law.
␣ The amendment limits the ability of lawmakers and regulators to adjust deadlines and fees. ␣ The amendment creates conflicts with existing employment, housing and other law and policies
that ban the use of illegal drugs.
␣ Federal banking laws prohibit accepting proceeds from activities that are illegal, so the marijuana industry likely would be comprised of cash-only businesses.
␣ The amendment creates a complex, and potentially confusing regulatory structure, e.g., if a local authority issues the license, state regulations do not apply.
Financial:
␣ The amendment establishes an excise tax on marijuana and designates the first $40 million collected to be used for constructing schools.
o The tax must still be approved by a separate statewide vote.
␣ Application fees for a business to start selling marijuana may not exceed $5,000 – far less than the application fee to start a medical marijuana business (range is $7,500 to $18,000 depending on the size of the operation), likely creating a funding gap from the outset.
␣ The proposed regulatory structure assumes that the Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division is fully staffed with 55 FTE. Current staffing is 15 FTE.
␣ Blue Book analysis assumes that Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division is fully funded at $5.7 million per year = funding is closer to $2.1 million annually.
Amendment 64 Requirements
GOVERNOR – Amendment becomes effective upon official declaration of the vote via Governor’s Proclamation
LEGISLATURE – Statutory changes to be considered include: 1. Amend current statutes regarding possession, sale, distribution or transfer of marijuana.
Page 2 of 4
2. Driving laws. While no specific changes are required by the amendment because current language says “. . . one or more drugs, or a combination of alcohol and one or more drugs,” the General Assembly may want to review existing laws.
3. Revise possession of drug paraphernalia laws to exclude “marijuana accessories” for those 21 and older.
4. Revise possession of marijuana laws to exclude possession of less than one ounce for persons 21 years of age or older.
5. Revise marijuana cultivation laws.
6. Codify allowable acts relative to marijuana testing facilities, marijuana product manufacturing facilities, and retail facilities.
7. Codify marijuana consumption restrictions to be consistent with the amendment, e.g., it can’t be open, public, or done in manner to endanger others.
8. Establish excise tax. 9. Enact legislation regarding industrial hemp cultivation, processing and sale by July 1, 2014.
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE – Establish regulations by July 1, 2013 that include:
1. Procedures for issuing, renewing, suspending and revoking a license to operate a marijuana establishment.
2. A schedule of application, licensing and renewal fees.
3. Qualifications for a license that are related to operating a marijuana establishment.
4. Security requirements for marijuana establishments.
5. Requirements to prevent the sale of marijuana and marijuana products to persons under 21 years old.
6. Labeling requirements for marijuana and marijuana products.
7. Health and safety standards for the manufacture of marijuana products and the cultivation of marijuana.
8. Restrictions on advertising and display of marijuana and marijuana products. 9. Civil penalties for noncompliance with regulations.
Page 3 of 4
LOCAL GOVERNMENTS
1. Ordinances and regulations are required by October 1, 2013.
2. Enact ordinance or regulation to identify office within local government to process marijuana licenses if the Department of Revenue does not adopt regulations or fails to process and issue licenses.
3. Can adopt ordinances or regulations governing time, place, manner and number of marijuana operations as long as they do not conflict with the amendment.
4. Can adopt ordinances or regulations establishing procedures for issuing, suspending and revoking a license to operate a marijuana establishment.
5. Can adopt ordinances or regulations establishing a schedule of annual operating, licensing and application fees for marijuana establishments

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Wait what, since when what where and in which shops exactly can I get such quality weed? I stopped going to NL years ago because I got waaay too many duds. Amsterdam could be closing down by the end of the year for tourists but the last time I went there left such a bad memory that I honestly don't care. If what you're saying is true I might have to reconsider though.

Nederland bud. Not netherlands. Affectionately referred to as Ned by locals. I could see how it's easily confused though. Nederland is a small town up the mountain from Boulder. :yes:

Fox1

This is indeed a great news but the next step is at the federal level and in the Congress where the fight must be next since federal laws truncates state laws. I found this web site, http://www.mpp.org/ that can help in the fight for changing of the laws. Get involve

Latest posts

Latest posts