What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's say the USA declassifies cannabis, leaving it up to "State's Rights."

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What do you believe will happen in the next 5 years?

I want to see thoughts on personal grows, genetic sharing, Canada/USA/Mexico Collaborations, Seed/Clone thoughts, Micro Climate Genetics, Extracts by Region/Country?

Think about your specific region and market and think... what's possible if this all goes legal tomorrow?

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Interesting question. Personally I think the gov't will get involved and companies like Monsanto will rule.

I do believe there will always be personal grows and peeps to support those grows will still support them

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never, ever, ever going to happen. I been advocating for over 3 decades. The US federal govt will NEVER EVER leave this alone. EVER.
First- gonna ride free labor in prisons til it literally dies under them
Second-if they don't get the lion's share, which they won't, they will turn it over to pharma so they WILL get paid.
Third-baby jesus will burn pot smokers in hell
Write it down, memorize it, whatever...here in Cali the takeover began the SECOND our sheep were stupid enough to pass 64...how long was it before they started to cull prop 215 protections? A month. They started illegally changing laws a year before the first 'legal' buds were sold. AND THAT WAS DEMOCRATS! Now, mysteriously, republicans are getting into pot. That officially marks the end of cannabis freedom. Enjoy the ride for the next year or three, cuz by 2024 growers will be more repressed than the 70s80s90 and 2000s. Bet.

CannaZen

I don't think that the government would let the public control 'their' plant. They may reschedule it but not completely decriminalize. I don't think trump has the initiative to reschedule cannabis but it may happen. The UN may have to change the law.

If it were not criminalized just 50-100 plants in my back yard I would be growing as an enthusiast and selling or giving the produce to a flower shop. Its a benign plant. Strict plant counts are not aligned with sane cannabis legislature.

There wouldn't be a black market if it were completely legal to trade and sell without requiring a license for control with inflation from tax & testing. Hash plant style farming would dominate the market and pricing would be sane because anybody could participate 18 or older.

I dream of regional hash field landracing and Tree sized plants in my back yard. Cannabis has insane breeding bottlenecks, absolutely 12 plants are not enough to work with. It takes hundreds, thousands of plants to see the next generation breeds of tomorrow.

Last edited:
G

GatorGumbo

I'd say there's a 50% chance of something like that happening in the next 3-5 years. I also think that people who want true freedom in regard to cannabis will likely never see it anywhere in the US. Our government seems to feel entitled to the economic advantages that commercial weed offers. Keeping it controlled will drive up costs through avenues they can monitor, license, and tax— the end user that needs it (med patients' insurance) will foot the bill.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, I don't think legalization has to be so complicated. Everyone wants to create an industry and normal folks just want to not be a criminal for smoking weed, the compromise is being able to pay for it.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Interesting question. Personally I think the gov't will get involved and companies like Monsanto will rule.

I do believe there will always be personal grows and peeps to support those grows will still support them
That right there!

fatigues

Veteran
I am sure that such a result would make many happy in the USA, especially cannabis producers, as only going that far would create a market where inter-state commerce between legal states was legal, but imports/exports was not. Thereby giving a blanket protection on competition from other countries. The highest tariff on the books: imprisonment.

If what you really mean to say is Federal legalization and otherwise leaving it up to the states by permitting a state to nevertheless ban sale, possession and consumption within its borders, (not not transport or inter-state commerce) that would free up capital markets, banking, tax relief, and access to United States District Court for contract and IP enforcement -- that would make others happy (and smaller growers unhappy - because they want protection from competition from big business.)

Corporate weed bad; Mom and Pop weed good. Blah blah blah.

It doesn't matter. This will become legal at a Federal level within six years at the outset, and quite possibly sooner than that. It's not enough of a Red State/Blue State issue to maintain prohibition. The data on this is solid.

The polling data goes in only one direction and it is demographically driven by age more than any other factor. It is, therefore, inevitable.

X

xavier7995

When you say leave it up to states rights, do you mean a continuation of the patchwork we have going now? The current situation sort of sucks, i would like to see some sort of national guidelines on licensing. I think that would bring prices down or help foster an environment that would allow different classes of licensing. Ultimately i would like it to be feasible to sell weed in a farmers market type environment or maybe some sort of bar (Amsterdam style coffeeshop) that offers rare and exotic varieties. I dont see that happening while states are riding the cash cow of being quasi legal.

That could very well be a pipedream though, i would imagine weed would be regulated similar to alcohol or tobacco. Both of those are areas where a small operator has trouble competing. I suppose my coffeeshop type setting would be regulated similar to a brewery, but it seems like those are almost always pretty large operations and quite a bit bigger than the mom n pop i had in mind.

Having the same access to the banking system as everyone else would be pretty rad ta boot.

St. Phatty

Discretion Works.

Plant your 2019 blackberry thickets now, for a more Stealth 2019 grow.

Unless you are an Eskimo. Then blackberries might attract the USGS.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i think that after it is federally legalized, we will (eventually) see
legal home-growing, with possibly internet sales of seeds etc. gene sharing between individuals will be okayed, as will gifting of products. there is ALWAYS going to be limits on plant counts simply because it is an intoxicant. how strictly those are enforced is another ball of wax entirely. here in TN, there are limits on how much beer/wine a person can make. but...there has NEVER been anyone arrested for exceeding those limits that was not SELLING their "personal" stash, thereby triggering an arrest for evading taxes. excessive outdoor grows will be asking for it, simply because it cannot be hidden, and will be a magnet for thieves. calling the law because someone stole 100 plants from your garden when that was over the limit to start with will be all the excuse LEO needs to fucking hammer you...SOME states (mine included sadly) will be as harsh as they can simply because i live underneath the buckle of the Bible Belt. i am willing to be proven pessimistic on this. conversations i have with older folks in church etc tell me that the state is way fucking behind public opinion, and likely to remain so.:tiphat:

bigAl25

Veteran
Here is an issue that will need to be addressed. We came back from Jamaica and unfortunately landed at DFW because of hurricane Florence. The drug dog at the airport hit on 4 couples carryons and we were one of them. They found nothing on the four couples including us. Hell yes people admitted smoking when in Jamaica but no one brought anything back. Hell I told the agent searching my bag, the dog hit on my wife's carryon, not mine, that why would we bring anything back our ganja is better in the USA. They did let me keep my papers and filters. The woman dog handler was an asshole, I unfortunately called her honey, may not have helped the experience. We were all detained for a wasted 30 to 50 minutes. They can sniff all the heroin, meth, and other shit they want, but having dogs hit on days old cannabis odor is a waste of my tax money and decent peoples time coming back from vacation. We did get an apology from the supervisor as we walked down the hallway to get our luggage, he knew if was bullshit. The dog needs to be retired and adopted by a loving cannabis smoking family and cannabis needs to be removed from the DEA schedule altogether. And that red headed bitch needs to lose her fucking job.

CannaZen

i think that after it is federally legalized, we will (eventually) see
legal home-growing, with possibly internet sales of seeds etc. gene sharing between individuals will be okayed, as will gifting of products. there is ALWAYS going to be limits on plant counts simply because it is an intoxicant. SOME states (mine included sadly) will be as harsh as they can simply because i live underneath the buckle of the Bible Belt. i am willing to be proven pessimistic on this. conversations i have with older folks in church etc tell me that the state is way fucking behind public opinion, and likely to remain so.:tiphat:

Yeah. Cannabinoids promote homeostasis, not exactly toxic. Combusting the flowers with flame produces carcinogenics in the smoke. Are there Tobacco plant count limits? They're going in on licensing this shit if its a state decision, the feds need to declassify, it does not fit the schedule. If it is recognized as medicinally benign like in many states it cant be argued of that point. The state recognizes medicinal value by the voters.

Basically, it is hard to find anywhere where they come out and say that it is o.k. to grow your own, but they will admit that it is not illegal and that there are no regulations on amounts grown for personal use. Bartering or selling tobacco products is regulated and taxed.
Source: https://www.victoryseeds.com/tobacco/backer_faq.html

The feds are not willing to change the law because they're not big enough to admit that they're wrong. We cant settle for less.

G

GatorGumbo

Speaking of states rights - Read a real interesting article about the Civil war this morning.

The real beef the states had was about tariffs. But they couldn't legally protest tariffs. They wanted a legal way to secede. Slavery became the official reason for seceding.

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2018/11/13/a-civil-war-lesson-for-the-uneducated/

Kind of, the overarching main reason is basically the agro south was getting taxed by the central gov located in the industrial north and felt they were seeing little in return compared to what the north was giving itself. The north wanted the government to ban slavery, essentially to plunge the agro south into economic turmoil and eviscerate their tariff and tax allotment leverage within the government. Lincoln actually offered a treaty where the south could keep their slaves, but the south declined because their end of that dynamic would still leave the north to ply them with taxation.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
By the time the USA gets around to declassification, I see Mexico and Central America stepping up to the plate and growing it faster, cheaper, better and undercutting anything put out by growers in the states.

..... things are changing so fast worldwide, I see future trade wars, state vs. state, country competing against country.

........ this could end up being good for individual smokers but not producers in the USA.:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
when I was shooting allot, bout 8 years ago, govt put a strangle hold on brass and primers for reloading.. it sucked.. I no longer shoot that much but do have a lifetime supply of primers and brass..... and seeds!

Cannavore

Veteran
states rights can go both ways. oklahoma signed a bill to give people life in prison for hash possession. is that okay because it's states rights? nah fuck that. federal legalization otherwise we're going to have pockets of dumb states doing dumb shit, or taking forever to get their acts together while people suffer.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Federal law that takes cannabis off the type 1 drug next to heroin and cocaine and make it a type 2 drug, like Valium, Oxis', etc.. The only way one can get those is with a prescription. They loose nothing, we gain nothing. Type 3 would be 'over the counter'... good luck with that.:blowbubbles:

sc1

Hmm

Hmm

Well it looks like there are 9 rec. states and 20 + med states. And it looks like those 9 rec states have previously been med states. So it makes me think that eventually the 20+ med states will evolve into rec states also. But I’m not sure about the south. There are a lot of traditional people in the south. And there are or were blue laws and in some places tatoos have just become legal.

Last edited: