in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Defoliation questions

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Seedsman for Cannabis Seeds
Defoliation questions Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2017, 12:43 AM #31
OG Expressions
Banned

OG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroombrew View Post
Healthy plants produce way more leaves than they need. It's natural for predators to much some; as you'll know if the deer ever find your patch.

So you can remove lots without too much stress. But only on healthy fast growing plants.

If I was a plant and my leaves got eaten I would grow upwards to get away from predators. And a plant in flower that gets eaten produces more flowers in a self preservation move.
The above is anecdotal and not science. Just my experience.
Deer and rabbits. Plant predators. Bugs too
OG Expressions is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 12:50 AM #32
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Expressions View Post
Deer and rabbits. Plant predators. Bugs too
Rabbits? Do you hail from the UK? Those buggers are everywhere!

I miss a good rabbit stew yum.
mushroombrew is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 AM #33
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
Quote:

Say what ???!!!!???

Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 AM #34
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader Rabbit View Post
Say what ???!!!!???

Don't worry I don't eat the Crusader variety.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 AM #35
OG Expressions
Banned

OG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Canada. We have lote here especially outside tge cities.

Far as the post below they do certainly taste decent but people around here think its depraved to "eat the poor little bunnys" so its not common.
OG Expressions is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 PM #36
HereIgrowagain

HereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really niceHereIgrowagain is just really nice
Rabbit nd Black pudding pie mmmmnnmnmnm....Very nice.

So is the consensus sorted now? Defoliation kicks ass once mastered?

Old 07-18-2017, 03:09 PM #37
mushroombrew

It's never sorted. There will always be those who drag huge leafy trees indoors. Especially here in Oregon omg... 8ft leaf bushes each with their own Gavita. Pumping out larf. I've seen a bunch since I've been here. The top 10" yields nice though. haha!

I've been indoor hydro since '90. Short veg, 1plant/sqft with a leaf here and there.

I live in a strict "No Larf" zone.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:12 PM #38
Chunky Sloth

Chunky Sloth will become famous soon enoughChunky Sloth will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Oh sorry. 21 & 42 of flower. No defoliation in veg. It slows them down.
Only do so if you need air flow. Don't strip to 3 fans unless you are in flower
Ok perfect. I'm glad I waited. Something told me that's was too much. Thanks for the clarification and advice. Will try it this run. Lucky for me I tried out a new high CBD strain and napping rather than working.
Chunky Sloth is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 03:19 PM #39
Chunky Sloth

Chunky Sloth will become famous soon enoughChunky Sloth will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It's never sorted. There will always be those who drag huge leafy trees indoors. Especially here in Oregon omg... 8ft leaf bushes each with their own Gavita. Pumping out larf. I've seen a bunch since I've been here. The top 10" yields nice though. haha!

I've been indoor hydro since '90. Short veg, 1plant/sqft with a leaf here and there.

I live in a strict "No Larf" zone.
That's what I'm trying to eliminate. I keep my girls nice and tight and compact, but feel like I dont remove quite enough.
Chunky Sloth is offline Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM #40
Junk

Junk is just really niceJunk is just really niceJunk is just really niceJunk is just really niceJunk is just really niceJunk is just really niceJunk is just really niceJunk is just really niceJunk is just really nice
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrowone View Post
i was a defoliating sceptic, didn't like the idea
however, doing micro grows and it did seem that the big fans weren't optimum for small spaces
and was amazed just how good defoliating can work
you pay a price with a slowed down plant, but 2 weeks later?
you really are filled in completely, except it's a tighter plant, and much better in a micro grow
my 2 coins
Agreed. On paper, it's not a good thing. I disagreed with it's practice heartily.

But you should try anything once (almost anything). And I've tried it, and it does, ime, make the lower sites larger and more mature? I can't think of the right word. Same plant, same light, same environment. It was the same run. Strain was Grape OG which has huge fans.

I basically got the same weight with both. but more buds by defoliating, instead of 7g nugs from the mains. That's why in post #2 I said it seems to take it from the main colas and redistribute it to the lowers and sides. I've had plants that 3 nugs = a zip. Which is fine for me, bc, I grow for my own usage. But other people I help, aren't fans of that look.

So, I forget who it was that said it works out the same either way, but that does seem to be the case. I'll try it on the next round too and if it repeats, I'll take some photos.

I would imagine that like anything else, the plant will dictate what works for it and what doesn't. I would just try it on the plants that are leaf heavy and see what happens. Check your weight, # of buds, and bud quality, and go from there.

The other thing was the defoliated plant flushed quicker, which makes sense...but I just never thought of it.
Junk is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.