Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Why cold butane is slow rate then room temp butane in a cls ?

Thread Title Search
Why cold butane is slow rate then room temp butane in a cls ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 PM #11
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Can you explain how the term viscosity applies? butane is a solvent or am i missing something?
Butane is a simple Alkane hydrocarbon whose viscosity changes with temperature. As you chill it, it gets thicker and more viscous, so that at some point it becomes a solid.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 PM #12
Sriley28

Sriley28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
The key is that the molecules we seek are primarily C-10 through C-22, and the molecules we avoid are C-30. Extracting at low temperatures limits extraction of the C-30 molecules more than it does the lighter ones.

Solly SM, I haven't seen any viscosity charts, but we typically add propane below about -30C and extract down to around -50C with it.
If it's that cold what are you using to get the butane to go to the column? N2 or are you just getting the collection chamber even colder?
Sriley28 is offline Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 PM #13
jswick93

jswick93 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriley28 View Post
If it's that cold what are you using to get the butane to go to the column? N2 or are you just getting the collection chamber even colder?
They keep the tank in a regular ice bath so it has positive pressure which helps push liquid through the prechiller coil and also use a recovery pump for what is called push/pull assist.
jswick93 is offline Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 12:39 PM #14
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
It works push pull to about -30C after which we use a hot vapor boost.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 PM #15
Sriley28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
It works push pull to about -30C after which we use a hot vapor boost.
Thanks for the info! Looks like it's time to upgrade to an active setup

Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 PM #16
Old Gold

Old Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Looks like it's time to upgrade to an active setup
Nitrogen gas will work for the pressure assist as well. With any passive setup, you never want to be dumping into your "final" or "last" chamber. As you fill liquid, the inevitable vapors created need to be removed. If a pump isn't doing this, that is where the cold solvent tank or another vessel comes into play. This is the "pull." Nitrogen or warm solvent vapor would be your "push."
Old Gold is offline Quote

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM #17
Sriley28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gold View Post
Nitrogen gas will work for the pressure assist as well. With any passive setup, you never want to be dumping into your "final" or "last" chamber. As you fill liquid, the inevitable vapors created need to be removed. If a pump isn't doing this, that is where the cold solvent tank or another vessel comes into play. This is the "pull." Nitrogen or warm solvent vapor would be your "push."
With that last vessel, does that have to a certain size based on the size of the run your doing? Also will that have to be recovered or will that just be nitrogen vapor that can be burped out after?

Old 07-16-2017, 06:07 PM #18
jswick93

jswick93 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
With that last vessel, does that have to a certain size based on the size of the run your doing? Also will that have to be recovered or will that just be nitrogen vapor that can be burped out after?
It needs to hold enough butane safely for whatever size runs you intend on doing. Also, if you keep the whole tank cold, than a larger tank will have more cold surface area for butane to condense back to a liquid on. Not necessary though. The nitrogen can be burped from your chilled tank after recovery each time.
jswick93 is offline Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 AM #19
Old Gold

Old Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the roughOld Gold is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
You can get away with small - it just needs to big enough and stay cold enough to chill minimal vapors. I typically do use large chambers, because I couple it as a solvent recovery tank separate from my initial solvent feed tank (so equal in size). Also know that the end of the dump will be followed by a column full of nitrogen, so it helps to be able to draw nitrogen into the bigger chambers rather than needing more "vent cycles"; or if only one solvent tank is present, I set it up so that I dump initially into a dewax chamber (same size as collection pot), while pulling the vapors into a cold collection pot. Then I vent the nitrogen from my solvent tank, drain solvent/oil mixture from the dewax chamber to collection pot, and subsequently pull the vapors from collection pot to cold solvent tank.
Old Gold is offline Quote

Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 AM #20
Sriley28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gold View Post
You can get away with small - it just needs to big enough and stay cold enough to chill minimal vapors. I typically do use large chambers, because I couple it as a solvent recovery tank separate from my initial solvent feed tank (so equal in size). Also know that the end of the dump will be followed by a column full of nitrogen, so it helps to be able to draw nitrogen into the bigger chambers rather than needing more "vent cycles"; or if only one solvent tank is present, I set it up so that I dump initially into a dewax chamber (same size as collection pot), while pulling the vapors into a cold collection pot. Then I vent the nitrogen from my solvent tank, drain solvent/oil mixture from the dewax chamber to collection pot, and subsequently pull the vapors from collection pot to cold solvent tank.
I know this is off topic from the thread but for dewqxing do you use something like a Buchner vessel or a collection platter with a pour spout?