You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Venus Fly Traps & African Sundews

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Venus Fly Traps & African Sundews Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 AM #21
OranguTrump

OranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud of
I have a bunch of vft sprouts - dozens & counting. Really small - 1/4 the size of a cannabis sprout. Exciting!

I also have some mold starting, keeping lids open & put a big fan in tent - fingers crossed.

Nothing yet on the Capensis, but those seeds looks like dust - the germinating plants will be really small.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg

"Dave's not here"

*** RIP to the greatest character actor ever - Harry Dean Stanton ***
OranguTrump is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:30 PM #22
OranguTrump

OranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud of
1 week in

3 pics from same container of green venus fly traps - the reds are also sprouting. Nothing from the Capensis, yet.

The "soil" I took longest to work on, really rinsed & cared about, seems to be shite & the stuff I did "last minute" with all the extra additives seems to be working really well.

The mold continues to be a problem, although much less than before.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:19 AM #23
troutman

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
I wonder if they can eat fruit flies now.

Once they get just a little bigger I would transplant them in separate pots.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:59 PM #24
OranguTrump

Talking

New ones (vft) coming up daily - damn things are so small I can't even focus phone/camera on them. Nothing from Capensis that I can see - those seeds were dust in size, so I imagine the wait will be long.

I will be looking at repotting these soon, trying to decide if I should go with 3" or 4" netpots with mostly 1 plant per & a few with doubles and/or multi-colours in each. I'm going to experiment with a few at a time, so as not to endanger all. I'm thinking of an active bubbler system for them, rather than the still water tubs, but that's a thought for later.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

Old 06-05-2017, 04:02 PM #25
exploziv
pure dynamite

exploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond reputeexploziv has a reputation beyond repute
I just came across this thread. I used to have a bog terrarium with tens of species of carnivores, bog flowering plants and mosses.. till i forgot to add water for 3 monts and it dried up. Good to see yours growing well. Good luck!

If the whole world smoked a joint at the same time, there would be world peace for at least two hours. Followed by a global food shortage.
exploziv is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2017, 03:42 AM #26
OranguTrump

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploziv View Post
I just came across this thread. I used to have a bog terrarium with tens of species of carnivores, bog flowering plants and mosses.. till i forgot to add water for 3 monts and it dried up. Good to see yours growing well. Good luck!
Very cool - thanks for joining in. Always appreciate informed input.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

Old 07-14-2017, 06:28 AM #27
OranguTrump

OK - update, and it's not good.

Never did get anything out of the Capensis seeds - I had a mold issue & I think that may have done them in. I'm abandoning them.

The fly traps - aren't f*cking fly traps. Not sure what they are, seeds looked like, the sprouts started like, but now they've all grown a spiky appendage & are def NOT venus fly traps. Grrrrr.

Lesson learned? If I ever send money to a Chinese vendor again, I want someone to push a hot metal poker into my eye.

Thread over, sorry.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 AM #28
troutman

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by OranguTrump View Post
The fly traps - aren't f*cking fly traps.
Maybe next time get a frog or toad. They'll eat flies.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 10-31-2017, 10:09 AM #29
JustSumTomatoes

JustSumTomatoes is a jewel in the roughJustSumTomatoes is a jewel in the roughJustSumTomatoes is a jewel in the roughJustSumTomatoes is a jewel in the roughJustSumTomatoes is a jewel in the roughJustSumTomatoes is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OranguTrump View Post
OK - update, and it's not good.

Never did get anything out of the Capensis seeds - I had a mold issue & I think that may have done them in. I'm abandoning them.

The fly traps - aren't f*cking fly traps. Not sure what they are, seeds looked like, the sprouts started like, but now they've all grown a spiky appendage & are def NOT venus fly traps. Grrrrr.

Lesson learned? If I ever send money to a Chinese vendor again, I want someone to push a hot metal poker into my eye.

Thread over, sorry.
The Chinese are well know for selling BS flytrap seeds and other things for that matter. I've grown flytraps for a while and must say they are very interesting plants. I have extra seeds from my plants if you are interested. Usualy I cut the flowers off but this year I let them flower out. I also highly recommend flytrapcare.com as they have a wonderful forum and care advice. Their store also has a fantastic selection of plants, and care products.
JustSumTomatoes is online now Quote

Old 10-31-2017, 01:42 PM #30
OranguTrump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSumTomatoes View Post
The Chinese are well know for selling BS flytrap seeds and other things for that matter. I've grown flytraps for a while and must say they are very interesting plants. I have extra seeds from my plants if you are interested. Usualy I cut the flowers off but this year I let them flower out. I also highly recommend flytrapcare.com as they have a wonderful forum and care advice. Their store also has a fantastic selection of plants, and care products.
Hi & thanks for posting. The time and effort I wasted with those bunk seeds has taken the wind outta my sails & I moved on to fungi & related ephemera.

Sadly, while popular, the fungus thread was binned by management for not being on canna topic, so I've moved that effort to another site.

Cheers

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"