What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lots of weed today tastes straight up nasty

insomniac_AU

I'm not the average consumer, being a grower and all, but when I'm at a dispensary I absolutely make my decisions based on aroma. You make a good point with the bag appeal, but honestly I think that everyone should be factoring the smells into their purchase decisions.

There's a science to it, even when people don't know it and think they're just "trusting their intuition" or whatever... Those terpenoids go straight into the brain and affect you, telling you at least on a subconscious level that there will be an effect on your mood in that particular direction when you smoke it or whatever.
I notice this particularly when I am harvesting. I of course smoke throughout the day while doing it and I find myself spinning out after a while of being in the room. The terps are so thick in the air while manicuring I'm sure that is the cause. It's almost overwhelming sometimes.

EvergreenState

You are smoking chemicals, fast dried, uncured weed and salts. Clean weed never, ever tastes bad in my experience, regardless of strain.
The problem is finding carefully grown and cared for weed. You'd be very, very lucky to find it in many dispensaries. It took me several years and many mistakes to get to the point where I grew good weed. I could grow weed that would knock your socks off but tasted like shit on a stick. The fix is to almost completely ignore most feeding schedules, use much less than they say, watch the plants and feed more if necessary. My last grow I fed once over the final 6 weeks

insomniac_AU

I totally agree with all of that. Anyone can grow weed but few can produce a quality product, particularly if they are doing it for money. It's the main reason I started growing, the fact that I could do it better than pretty much everyone I was getting it from. Grow your own, make your own mistakes and learn what works for your strains in your setup.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
You are smoking chemicals, fast dried, uncured weed and salts. Clean weed never, ever tastes bad in my experience, regardless of strain.
The problem is finding carefully grown and cared for weed. You'd be very, very lucky to find it in many dispensaries. It took me several years and many mistakes to get to the point where I grew good weed. I could grow weed that would knock your socks off but tasted like shit on a stick. The fix is to almost completely ignore most feeding schedules, use much less than they say, watch the plants and feed more if necessary. My last grow I fed once over the final 6 weeks

I have smoked a few honestly bad tasting strains. I made some mental floss x reefermans sour d and half the offspring were nasty perfume taste. A few people like it. Most people hated it. Also I ran a free moby dick seed that was the kind bud equivalent of smoking gasoline and fresh cut grass clippings. And an exile seed that had kinda a weird burnt rubber something rotton funky piney in a bad way. It was the kind of weed people would ask you not to smoke in there house again. All of these were grown side by side with stuff I like to smoke. Normally a seed pack has winners and losers and the losers are just weak in some way. But occasionally a legit nasty plant shows up. They can be just as loud too.

Hydro8

I'm not the average consumer, being a grower and all, but when I'm at a dispensary I absolutely make my decisions based on aroma. You make a good point with the bag appeal, but honestly I think that everyone should be factoring the smells into their purchase decisions.

There's a science to it, even when people don't know it and think they're just "trusting their intuition" or whatever... Those terpenoids go straight into the brain and affect you, telling you at least on a subconscious level that there will be an effect on your mood in that particular direction when you smoke it or whatever.

I have had this discussion with a few people who swear by this theory what smells good to you is good for you.

For myself I have found it is not the case many times. I have gotten deliciously mouth watering smelling pot that give me poor effects.
Many of the tangy citrus sativa just make me paranoid. I also have had great smelling indicas that make me foggy, red eyed messed up.

Then there is weed that makes me positively soar that I really do not like the smell of.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I have had this discussion with a few people who swear by this theory what smells good to you is good for you.

For myself I have found it is not the case many times. I have gotten deliciously mouth watering smelling pot that give me poor effects.
Many of the tangy citrus sativa just make me paranoid. I also have had great smelling indicas that make me foggy, red eyed messed up.

Then there is weed that makes me positively soar that I really do not like the smell of.

Alot of the time paranoid weed is trying to get you to go on a bike ride or out for a walk. Or maybe it wants you to address the source of your paranoia. Some of the my favorite weed will make me crawl out of my skin or shake if I feel confined or somewhere I am expected to sit still.

S

Sertaiz

totally agree with this. people who dont want to do the above have trouble with my favorite sativa

EvergreenState

I'm sure there are some strains that don't have good flavor, even if properly grown but I've never experienced one grown properly to my standards. I think another big problem is that a lot of seed sellers are putting out seeds that they have never really worked to find something good.
A good example of that kind of so called breeding is DNA'S new releases. They crossed everything with Sorbet. They found a plant they like and just crossed it a bunch of different plants to have new "product" for a new year. I don't believe that they worked all of those strains to find exceptional ones to work with. They took some strains they liked and crossed them all with Sorbet. Who knows what they taste like.
Growers need to do better and breeders(?)need to do a whole lot better.

newbert

Makes you wonder if they are spray-flavouring the buds... I guess if they use the same terpenes you couldn’t test for it?

this has been my thought also. between the synthetic k2 nonsense and this hysteria over terps im definitely getting the sense that some bud is absolutely doctored with sprays. a huge tell is if the bud smells much weaker when you break it up. if youre getting scraps then this isnt applicable. but if youre getting whole buds and the outside smells like cologne and you break it up and it smells like not much on the inside...yeah youre getting got.

on the other hand you have legit strains with smells im just done with. i appreciate the strength and consistency of sour diesel but honestly if i wanted my bud to smell of diesel id stash it in a bus station for a month. sweet berry smells over chem smells any day for this guy. the loud diesel shit is played out imo.

newbert

A picture is worth a thousand words!

View Image

bingo. people have been over fertilizing, under curing, and improperly flushing since day one. that gives you harshness and shitty black ash. it doesnt make your bud smell like cologne. ive been smoking for over 2 decades now, ive tasted all sorts of flavors sweet, citrus, chem, for the first time in my life i picked up some bud maybe half a year ago that almost smelled like cologne didnt even bother to smoke it. and its happened a few more times since then. people are spraying shit and goofballs who dont know any better are buying it hook line and sinker.

Bad weed = picked to early, dried way too quick, pumping full of garbage ferts, some bug bombed mite droppings. Wet trim and drying as fast as possible, is the number one cause of bad tasting.
Wet trim is a problem? I didnt know that ,my weed tasted just fine the best weed i ever smoked,but i wil change to dry trim if more people confirm this.

Oregonism

I'm sure there are some strains that don't have good flavor, even if properly grown but I've never experienced one grown properly to my standards. I think another big problem is that a lot of seed sellers are putting out seeds that they have never really worked to find something good.
A good example of that kind of so called breeding is DNA'S new releases. They crossed everything with Sorbet. They found a plant they like and just crossed it a bunch of different plants to have new "product" for a new year. I don't believe that they worked all of those strains to find exceptional ones to work with. They took some strains they liked and crossed them all with Sorbet. Who knows what they taste like.
Growers need to do better and breeders(?)need to do a whole lot better.

Part of the problem is that actual breeding takes time, even with plant counts.
When we start to see cure caves, that will be the sign of breeder appreciation versus flavor of the month club :)

Hydro8

Alot of the time paranoid weed is trying to get you to go on a bike ride or out for a walk. Or maybe it wants you to address the source of your paranoia. Some of the my favorite weed will make me crawl out of my skin or shake if I feel confined or somewhere I am expected to sit still.

For me falling down a rabbit hole of paranoia is not beneficial for self reflection or pleasant. After 30-40mins I think what was I even thinking..?

Back in the day when all I had was imported sativas I would be stuck with a bag of paranoia inducing stuff and smoke it all. Now days after getting mentally beat down 2-3 times I just choose another strain.

S

Sertaiz

well i agree with you as well, i just get paranoia from indicas, gg4, widows, sour diesel. a real down closed in feeling.
sativas have some flutter, but i enjoy the feeling. and up up and away instead of down...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Wet trim is a problem? I didnt know that ,my weed tasted just fine the best weed i ever smoked,but i wil change to dry trim if more people confirm this.
Hehehe, I always wet trim as well. I can't stand dry trimming when comparing ease and efficienty. When it's dried properly, it matters not which trim method you use. ;)

Wendull C.

Veteran
Didn't bother reading much of whats been said already.

Never ever spray anything other than water on flowers. No matter what!

Over fertilization, not flushing, bad drying and curing, storage and just being shitty herb all can fuck weed up too.

In my experience people spraying stuff, any stuff on flowers is the easiest way to screw up flavor. Some products say safe up til harvest. That does not mean it taste good. If you have uncontrollable pest problem start over clean.

Bro, have you ever grown on much scale? There are many ways to fix pest issues. Not just slash and burn. That is where growing comes in .

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Bro, have you ever grown on much scale? There are many ways to fix pest issues. Not just slash and burn. That is where growing comes in .

I have battled and won against most common cannabis pests. I have my own policy about spraying flowers. Apparantly I am odd that way.

As an example a few years ago I recieved some mitea that seem to drink neem and crawled right from my isolation box and into my grow. I was able to eradicate in veg but the got away from me in flower. So I released a bunch of predator mites and manually removed and that I could see. This helped me finish a few more weeks worth while I got a clean batch ready to flower. Once I had clean plants ready to flower I harvested everything in flower that was ready enough and slash and burned the rest. Cleaned flower room and moved in new plants. Been 3 summers since I seen a mite.

How would you have dealt with it?

Also. Biggest garden I ever ran was 12 lights. And 6 is all my current spot has room for. And right now Im converting it to several small spaces including a room for flowering males.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I plan to get back to a fully living soil using my own worms and compost but it has been a hectic few years and I had too many projects for a while and they all suffered due to spreading myself too thin.

Ready4

Veteran

Not so much the just doing a wet trim, it is the super quick shaving of the buds by may doing such, then dried way too fast with fans blowing on it afterwards = most commercial processing, resulting in harsh smoke.

I have wet trimmed but left the buds on their branches so they dry slower. I prefer the taste & end results of a dry trim = feel it is superior. Yes, trimming to dry leaves sucks - but trimming wet leaves is not much better. I have been using my fingers to just rip many of the dry leaves off, this works so much faster.

Also not drying enough before bagging can cause shitty tasting & smelling bud.

Find it very hard to overdry when doing a hanging with dry trim.
If commercial growers would just take a few extra days drying & curing, then products would be better.