What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

cortez

My aquarium pump has an outlet in waiting.Due to the minimal air requirements for these particular wands,I should be able to run 2 containers off of 1 pump.This is getting better(and cheaper) by the minute!!!!!Stay tuned folks.It's 2:30 am wal mart isn't open yet!!!!

RuralRoute420

cortez - you must not be near a superwallyworld:) i've found that it takes slightly longer with 70'F rez temps. this i know from past cuttings. also, anyone know why they say NOT to use a dome with these bubblers? i did for this round with the best results yet......what gives? i don't use a timer for 3 gallons of water in bubbler and the 7 1/2 watt walmart heater keeps it @ 80-82'F. i just asked about the nutes couple posts back. i would hit them with the nutes when you see too much yellowing up top. i will leave them in my bubbler for a good 2-3 more weeks. by then i will have them up to 500ppm or so. this will probably make some hydro junkies cringe, but as for the long roots, i every once and awhile will seperate them with my fingers to keep them for getting to entangled.....makes getting them out easier. i'll probably catch some flak for that.

p.s NPS(nopeststrips) rule - mites b gone! can be picked up @ walmart from HOTSHOT for $5. keep in mind, they don't know the long term affects on humans from the dichlorvis, but i use em anyways.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
You can root cuttings at temps lower than 75-85F of course, they just root fsater at the warmer temps. The 75-85 range seemed to be a strong consensus on OG, my aero-cloner is sitting at 82F right now, with several rooted clones waiting for a new home.

cortez

Hey everyone: I finally made it too wal- mart and constructed a "heated" version of the cloner.The heater was $14.95 Canadian and another bubble wand @ $5.83.I had a spare container and lid.First I located where the heater would sit in the empty container,pilot holed the first hole and used my 3/4" drill bit to bore the hole for the glass heater housing(the housing is 7/8" this will make for a tight seal).As a new innovation i re-located the hole for the bubble wand to the bottom instead of through the lid(this frees up the lid and cuttings from the silicone tube).The male end of the wand is tapered so drill your hole undersized (again for a tight seal),I would reccomend proper sized rubber grommets for both holes.I just used aquarium grade silicone to seal both holes.NO LEAKS.....phew!!if using silicone, be sure to scuff the area of the container with sand paper where the silicone is going to adhere to.This creates a grab point for the silicone.Use only aquarium grade silicone.Wait 24 hrs and fill er up....plug it in an load her up with cuttings....Holding at 82.... awesome.

thumbs up

thumbs up

excellent work there cortez and again great info! All the cultivation books I've read have mentioned rooting takes place more easily in a low-80's, so this amendment to the cloner should put you up at that 100% success rate methinks.

cortez

Thanks frater! these cuttings were taken 2 days ago and were in the unheated cloner.Their new home has heat!!!I will take daily pics and post results...stay tuned!!

Medical

Watching along.

Watching along.

Just curious, I will be starting fresh in July after my vacation and want to have everything ready to go before then. I have never cloned before and this looks fool proof!

:lurk:

Last edited:

cortez

Medical:This system is soooo easy too put together.Give it a try when your ready.There's not much to lose if it doesn't work out.(it's very hard to fail getting this working) If your growing for meds,this will ensure your medicine is reliably there for you when needed. no worries of whether your clones will take or not,like with other methods.It's like having clones on stand by!

muddy waters

nice post... so wait, you have to change the water -daily- with a bubbling cloner? i thought the point of adding oxygenation was to avoid having to do water changes as you would if you were just leaving the cutting in a glass of water.

i also think that higher temps = less D.O. = more probability of disease... but i think this may have something to do with one's climate and the amount and variety of spores in the air, that sort of thing.

i used to be an expert, fail-safe cloner in north america. down south the ONLY success i have is in carefully managed cups with coco fiber and sand and a humidity dome, labor intensive, about 14-20 days for root growth.

anyone experimented with adding H2O2 to the bubbling cloner as a disinfectant?

RuralRoute420

you don't have to change the water at all, i go till i see roots, then i add nutes, and leave them in there till i'm ready, but that's just me...

make sure when you add nutes, turn the heat off, you want your lower temps then >68'F.

cortez

yeah i change my water because i'm a creature of habit.I've noticed a sligh slime develop when left unchanged(algae),so i just got in the habit changing it daily.The algae is most likely due to the clear container and the cfl in my grow chamber.The clear container gives you the advantage of observing the clones progress without disturbing them....a sacrifice for a reward i guess?

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Do you guys find that spliting the stems with this technique is important? I notice in your photo above that most of your clones have the bottoms split. Is there some sort of advantage to spliting them?

Just got my bubble cloner up and running too..

Last edited:

RuralRoute420

in my experiences sofar, pretty important, the one's that i didn't split, didn't root in time, so i had to throw them out, now i split them all....seems to work.

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hmmm.. I wonder if it has anything to do with the strain. My cuts have only been in my bubbler for about 3 days.. So i really cant judge anything yet. Still waiting.

cortez

Sport farmer:Good question! I grow jack herer and ak-47 and have always had good success with just an angled cut with no split.RR 420 what strain did that happen too?some strains can be real stubborn!

RuralRoute420

it's chronic x mazaar on one side and whitelights on the other, 2 seperate strains, when i take the cuttings, i just cut the stems in 1/2 with the scissors, seems to work well, what can it hurt....i think it might have something to do with more surface space that the roots can start on...dunno.

cortez

Yes that makes sense about more surface space.I remember reading on OG way back about a dude that was sold on peeling a little skin back from the cut...female circumsision...Ouch!!!!....i guess whatever works.