What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roof top grow

Northendgrower

Hello everyone I decided to start a little grow journal on here I'm still a newbie because this is only my second grow ever in 12 years lol. Well the strain is banana grove got some clones off a friend about a month ago, they came in solo cups I transplanted into 1.5 gallons then 5 gals, waiting for better temps outside so I can put them in 32 gal bins on my roof I'm guessing by mid May.

Lighting
600w hps although I have been taking them outside on nice sunny days then back in under the hps when sun sets

Soil
1.5 gal/5 gal - 40% promix 40% fox farm ocean forest 20% perlite
32 gal - 40% promix organic 40% ff happy frog 20% perlite

Nutrients
Pure blend pro which I use every 3rd watering and also have some gaia green which I haven't used yet but will when they're on the roof

PH
The ph is at around 7, I know some people say it should be a bit lower but they look happy and healthy and good growth so I'm not messing with it, I figure the less I put into the soil the better

I have no idea of the temp and humidity currently in my basement but I see no reason for concern
I also cut my 5gal pails completely in half and duct taped them back together just to make transplanting into the 32gals easier.

Like I said I'm not no pro so hopefully all goes well and if I have any issues or questions I'll be coming here looking for help from pros like yourselves. And im also open to any advice, thanks!

Attachments

• 20200504_170509.jpg
    20200504_170509.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200412_185617.jpg
    20200412_185617.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200403_130754.jpg
    20200403_130754.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200423_203028.jpg
    20200423_203028.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200423_202954.jpg
    20200423_202954.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 23

El Timbo

Interesting... have you done a roof top grow like this before? Will they get much wind? And sun all day?

Northendgrower

Interesting... have you done a roof top grow like this before? Will they get much wind? And sun all day?

This is my first actual roof grow, I did a little trial run last year started real late around August cause I came across some clones from a friend, only had them in 1.5 gal pots so they dried up real quick and didnt have time to properly finish and yes plenty of sun. With these ones i lst'd them so it should help with the wind and I plan on putting a screen over them when they get bigger.

yardgrazer

Interesting set-up, an old friend grew some plants on his rooftop (deck) a few years ago when his state went legal. Grew some trees, but it was his first grow and somewhere between the growing/harvest/cure something went wrong and it came out to a huge amount of gar-bage. Hope yours goes well!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm in.

I'd be a little worried about the extreme heat and how you plan on watering them every day in the heat. Would be nice to see a nice Panama or Oaxacan up there. An Afghan would need water twice a day and at bed time. Can you set up an automated watering system for that? Lot's of questions.

I would think a SIP would be a perfect place to use on a roof fed by hose or pvc, but the water in it would get scalding unless you have a drain plug for the supply line after every watering.

Very interesting project. I'll be watching this for sure.

Northendgrower

I'm in.

I'd be a little worried about the extreme heat and how you plan on watering them every day in the heat. Would be nice to see a nice Panama or Oaxacan up there. An Afghan would need water twice a day and at bed time. Can you set up an automated watering system for that? Lot's of questions.

I would think a SIP would be a perfect place to use on a roof fed by hose or pvc, but the water in it would get scalding unless you have a drain plug for the supply line after every watering.

Very interesting project. I'll be watching this for sure.

Yes the watering issue was on my mind, I plan on going up and watering myself, should be ok for the first month or so considering its going into 32gal bins, but as the plant gets bigger and the temps get hotter my watering trips might get more frequent. I will be keeping an eye on it, I'm going to drill little hole along the sides of the bins to be able to stick my moisture gauge in to give me a better idea on how it's doing, might end up having to do a drip system only time will tell.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Look into a SIP setup. Stick a hose in it, turn the tap on and your golden. You can't over water with it and it'll reduce the chance of falling off the roof. lol

In this example, I'd drill a hole on the side to prevent over watering and use PVC piping with a hose attachment downstairs to fill it from your yard. But I'm a lazy grower and as a Canadian citizen, it's my duty to do the least amount of work for the maximum gain. :D
[iframe1]Yph6NuSMvCU[/iframe1]

troutman

Seed Whore
If you can shade just the pots it will cut down on the soil drying out as fast in the Sun. Some people
put the grow pots inside a bigger empty pot. The outside pot can be white to keep things even cooler.
aka Double potting.

Double Potting Houseplants

Northendgrower

So this is the setup, I know the bins are too close together my original idea was to use 5gal pails then I changed my mind to 10gals, after doing some reading I decided to go with 32gal cause I had them kicking around anyways so I figured why not, maybe next year I'll make a wider setup.

Attachments

• 20200506_115905.jpg
    20200506_115905.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 21

Mr. J

Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Going up on the roof once or twice is one thing but between the working up there regularly and lugging stuff up and down, hoses to trip over, drunk and stoned gardening, I would be lucky if I survived until harvest without serious injuries, let alone the plants surviving. Good luck and try to be careful and look where you step.

Northendgrower

So I started the transplant, ran out of soil only got one in will grab more tomorrow and get the other 3 in also. And it was an absolute breeze with the pre cut buckets!

Attachments

• 20200513_191037.jpg
    20200513_191037.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200513_191104.jpg
    20200513_191104.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200513_191241.jpg
    20200513_191241.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200513_193632.jpg
    20200513_193632.jpg