What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MOOCs Did You Know College is Free Online?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Massive Open Online Courses

I'm now studying math, engineering, psychology and sociology.

Nearly every 'degree' has an exam you can pass for certification. You get the same education college graduates get. (in many cases, possibly better)

Douglas.Curtis

When I was a kid...
I had to keep track of things I wanted to look up, usually for 2 weeks at a time. Every 2 weeks I'd get to go to the library, and HOPE I found books which answered my questions. Now almost everything I could think of is online, and the cost of learning it has dropped to an internet connection and time. I'm absolutely amazed at how little awareness the current generation has on this, let alone how massive an impact it could have on their life and those around them.

Never Went to College?
Not Passionate about Your Chosen Degree?
Haven't Found What You're Passionate About Yet?
What unanswered questions do YOU have?
biggrin.gif

What field of information holds the answer for you? Horticulture? Romantic literature? Geology, theology, biology, or one of the many many other ologies available? You don't even have to 'go to class' for this, and can simply watch the videos in each course. You have everything to gain in life by watching the videos for 101 classes, especially if you do it for every course out there. The chances are good, at some point you're going to find something which completely fascinates you. Something which tickles your brain and you think about all the time anyway. This is what you should be pursuing in life, the ability to work at something you love and do well.

I've spent my entire life not realizing how my own brain naturally spends it's time. The classes I've taken and are taking have greatly broadened my awareness of myself. As far back as I can remember, when I see something happen in life my brain automatically jumps to how it was made or how the process works. Many times I jump straight to how it could be done better. This is the thinking of a natural engineer, but due to my ignorance of myself I completely missed it for decades.

What are YOU passionate about in life? :D

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
thanks brother. i didnt realize that was the title of what to search for. for the record im generally pretty google savy. ;)

Gry

One of my favorites:https://danielpsheehan.com/ucsc-2013-jfk-assassination/
UCSC 2013: JFK Assassination

In the fall 2013 quarter at the University of California, Santa Cruz, Daniel Sheehan taught a class on the theories of the JFK assassination, one of the first courses of its kind ever taught. Starting with the Warren commission report and the official government position, Sheehan outlines in extensive detail the nine major theories as to who was really behind the assassination.Online reference and syllabus materials can be found below the videos.
VIDEO LINKS

Oct. 1: The Historical Perspective

Oct. 3: Critical Thinking

Oct. 8: Oswald, the Lone Gunman

Oct. 10: Warren Commission Report

Oct. 10: Discussion

Oct. 15: Challenges to “Lone Gunman” Theory

Oct. 17: The Later Discovered Facts That Challenge the Lone Gunman Theory

Oct. 22: Undisputed Facts

Oct. 24: The Still-Controversial Facts that Point Toward an Alternate Explanation

Oct. 24: Discussion

Oct. 29: Select Committee on Assassination, Cuban Exiles and Organized Crime (Greg)

Oct. 31: The Mob Killed JFK

Nov. 5: Garrison Investigation and Oliver Stone

Nov. 7: The Torbitt Document- Johnson, Hoover, and the F.B.I.

Nov. 14: The S-Force, Santos Trafficante, and Richard Helms within the C.I.A.

Nov. 19: The C.I.A. As an Institution Did It

Nov. 21: Theory #9- 7 Days in May- Joint Chiefs of Staff Coup (Nov. 21, 2013, one day before the 50th anniversary)

Nov. 26: Opening onto the “Rulers of the Ream” thesis

ONLINE REFERENCE MATERIAL

JFK-flow-chart-02.jpg

5 page syllabus
19 page syllabus
146 page syllabus
The Cast of Characters
Chronology
Evidence as a Multidisciplinary Subject
The Study of Politics: Logic, Approaches, Methods
JFK Conspiracy Theories at 50
Extended Chronology
picture.php

Gry

Who might not wish so many to learn about such things ?
As I stare at the 'warning', that is something I ponder...

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks Gry :) Hoping I can fit that into my schedule this year.

No worries Billy, :) I've been on the net since '92 and it was a mess. You had to download image files before you could view them. This meant the most info you could get about a file came from the context, and mostly just the file name. You cannot un-see some things, ya know? lol Search engines came into existence and started providing a quick way to get simple answers. I quickly developed the habit of going there first. :)

Talk about an education... lol :)

St. Phatty

MIT Open University is a great resource.

I don't like sitting alone trying to figure stuff out. It would be great to have groups for studying selected subjects.

Douglas.Curtis

MIT Open University is a great resource.

I don't like sitting alone trying to figure stuff out. It would be great to have groups for studying selected subjects.
Just about every MOOC platform has discussion forums. Unlike local college classes, you get to converse with people from your class who live all over the world. :)

St. Phatty

Just about every MOOC platform has discussion forums. Unlike local college classes, you get to converse with people from your class who live all over the world. :)

I used to like Lynda.com.

I've taken about 30 CGI classes there.

But Linked in bought Lynda and Microsoft bought Linked in.

There used to be a website "GoToandLearn.com" for learning Flash that helped me learn a little Flash.

Douglas.Curtis

Times change... *sigh* I do like sites which teach things creatively. :)

Khanacademy.org is free and covers a lot of courses as well. I'm very impressed with their math section. Detailed quizzes and tests, recommendations for sections to improve things you're not good at, great video and text explanations... awesome. :)