What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Clash

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
the%2Bclash%2Bcartoon.jpg

theclearspot

Ive got a documentary dvd 'Westway to the World'. Theres a classic scene where drummer Topper Headon, looking worse for wear, is being interviewed about his exit from The Clash.

Topper: So Joe threatened to throw me out the band if I didnt stop taking err certain 'substances'...
Interviewer: So what happened then?
Topper: Well I just carried on taking them like....

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
On September 13th is coming out a new Clash compilation. It´s mostly the same songs that the Clash played live in July 1982. Nice idea but I don´t need it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clash_Hits_Back

If I had a wish, than I want the "Rat patrol from Fort Braggs" in a good quality. It´s the original session of the later "Combat Rock" mixed by Mick Jones. :ying:

O

OKD

Wow, thanks, Herman, for pointing me here! I hadn't ventured into this neck of IC's woods! I see there's lots of music to catch up on.
I'm the youngest of six and I grew up listening to all the hippy crap. I used to hate the Beatles I had to hear them so much! So the Clash is my Beatles. They spoke for me and inspired me and informed me. They made me broaden my musical horizons. I grew up in Wyoming and I knew I'd never get to hear them live but that was okay, at least I knew they were out there!
I like Billy Bragg alot too. I think he has done an admirable job of carrying that political punk torch. I DID get to meet Mr. Bragg, but secretly I was pretending he was Joe Strummer, lol!
My all-time faves include Straight to Hell, Clampdown and Garageland.
Thanks again Herman!

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Hello OKD, thank you for your posting! Yes of cause, I´m a Clashfan too for my whole life but the Beatles also ;-). In winter 1979/80 I was in London and bought the "Give ém enough rope" LP, only why I liked the cover. That was the beginning, I was young by the right time. But I never saw them live. In 1999 I saw Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros live, I was so lucky that I had tears in my eyes. It´s not easy, my alltime faves? Yes, straight to hell, charlie don´t surf (live version), bankrobber/dub, garageland is wonderfull but I can´t say. Thinking about it my whole lifetime.:biggrin:

O

OKD

Something to think about for a lifetime!
I think 'Give 'Em Enough Rope' was my first Clash album. I need to listen to that live version of 'Charlie..'.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Hello OKD,:tiphat:
the liveversion from "Charlie don´t surf" you can find on Youtube.
But maybe you can buy the whole DVD, "The Clash-Live at Sun Plaza, Tokyo 1982". I bought it very cheap.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Hello OKD, :tiphat:
thats nice that you watched the "concert" and liked it! Funny that your little stepdaughters favorite was "should I stay, or should I go". :)

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello OKD, :tiphat:
thats nice that you watched the "concert" and liked it! Funny that your little stepdaughters favorite was "should I stay, or should I go". :)
hiya herman,,just for you! from my collection,,hope you enjoy and thanks for the clash update,,,peace and "clash" regards ,944s2

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Hello 944s2,:tiphat:
wow, you own a little treasure, very nice, I´m a little bit jealous!:) Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello 944s2,:tiphat:
wow, you own a little treasure, very nice, I´m a little bit jealous!:) Thank you for sharing.
thanks herman,,i have the sex pistols signed also from the 70s alas no "sid vicious" signature,,to get a pistols signed pic with sids sig is like the "holy grail" ,,:tiphat:

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
I´ve got no autographs from The Clash or the Pistols or Sid, sorry for off topic, but I´ve got a little holy grail too. ;)

:bow:

picture.php