What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Those Damn Spider mites!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The damn bane of my growing experience!

This is the subject I would really appreciate anyone with actual experience telling me what is up. I am not limited to inexpensive remedies and prefer something commercially available, rather than through grow shops or the internet. Also info on residual toxin issues at harvest, if any.

I already know there isn't much you can do if they are in flower. I have learned to do what I know how to do back home, but would love to become most experienced in the area of beasties.

The only good spider mite is a dead spider mite!

T

G

hello passthedoobie

hello passthedoobie

My lastyears grow was one of the m word note spoken in this house this was hiddeous my exsaust fan went down 30 days into flower and the conditions i gave them were perfect you have never seen anything like it hundred of thousands of them you could not see the top of the bud from them all :( if in flower there is nothing you can do but raise humidity and lower temp this will slow them down . If you are not in flower neem oil works well
I tore room apart and bomb room for two days. upkeep to prevent them is only way to go good luck

ps sorry really good hash:D

deZerTomB

neem

neem

get neem oil concentrate from greenlight at lowes. then add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallon water in with your regular mix for watering. Then don't stop. You can also make spray from the concentrate, but if you use it in your water regularly you won't need to spray much at all. I use the spray in the kitchen for ants more than on my plants.

A month or 2 and they're all gone.

deZerTomB.

deZerTomB

that bad

that bad

also I forgot to say that I switched to a weed & pest free "guaranteed" potting soil I think called supersoil. If they are real bad now, you should transplant and get rid of all the old dirt & bomb your rooms, hose down (lightly)the plants if you can.

deZerTomB.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow dude, that is exactly what I'm talking about

Wow dude, that is exactly what I'm talking about

TomB,

Thanks! Are you saying I can do preventative maintenance this way? Just add the neem into the drinking water of the plant? I use water soluable nutes. Does it make a diff if they get mixed or is there a requirement for the neem that you don't do it when you fertilize?

I am not much into spaying if it can be avoided because I have to drag everything into the bathroom to do that. It is so humid in the tropical environment that I live in that the need to mist is non-existent. I do run a dehumidifier. Is SouthernSmoker saying they would be worse with less humidity? Jesus!

If the preventative maintenence is possible, then that is what I should do. Thanks and anymore good tested methods are very much appreciated.

T

Try preditor mite - they don't thrive on 12/12 - so you may have to reintroduce them every 2 or 3 weeks - but it will control the mite enough to get a crop out

These are available by mail order in uk/europe - unfortunately I don't know how you would get them in the US

- any American members out there who can help ?

Good Luck

OldSoG

indoors or outside? if it's inside use these
Click for Larger Image

you can add alcohol to the neems oils to make it a bit more soluble. mix at 3 to 1(i.e. 3 tsp of neems + 1 tsp of alcohol)
this works great if you use neems oil as a foliar spray too, as it helps it mix with the water a bit better. also use a wetting agent if you are going use it as a spray.

peace,
OS

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use a no pest strip for spider mites? And the neem can be used as a presentative by adding to the water consistently through the veg and flowering cycle? I would really appreciate clarification as I am simply not smart enough to understand for sure what TomB said.

Thanks!

T

OldSoG

PTD, i PM'ed you this same thing.

if you have a indoors setup then the no-pest is the best way to go. they will get rid of all bug problems. if your up for a read check out. http://www.cannabisworld.org/vbportal there are a few post about nopest strips over there.
mr. highway really knows his shit when he talks about no pest strips. if you see a post or reply by him be sure to read his reply, or if your a member you can search for his name or just search for "nopest" or "no-pest" you'll get plenty to read.

i never had much luck using neems as a preventative thing. i tried it in the rez and didn't notice it do any thing. the things i didn't like about neems is it's smells gross and it's not very water soluble, which is why i recommend mixing it with alcohol.

tell me about your setup and if you grow clones or seed and if it's indoors or out and should be able to fine tune the pest control abit better.

peace,
OS

Have i posted somthing stupid ?

Have i posted somthing stupid ?

Us Brits sometimes forget the problems you guys in DEA land have - preditor mite is the best biological control for RSM and available from many Garden Centres in the UK - even before our laws were relaxed you could order without fear of a visit from the law:D

I guess that this is not true in the US :(

Good luck with your problem PassTheDoobie

Slowmoe

predators

predators

Hey everyone, I am lucky to have a BrewnGrow 8 blocks from my house. (Mpls) There are 5 in north central U.S. They have a selection of predators, but I think you have to order from catalog. Next day air or 2 day ground. Neem is working pretty well for me, but if you introduced predators at begin of 12/12 you might have to introduce more once or twice, but you should be free of the little bastards. Iam going to try them in about a month. I hate spidermites!
1-800-230-8191 0r www.brewngrow.com
grow in peace Slowmoe