What's new

Grafting?

piney1520

High all.
I recently got marijuana botany. by robert c. clarke and in reading the section on grafting it made me wonder.would it be possible to graft several varieties on to one plant so you could have a multi strain mother so you could save on space in a stealth
cabinet grow etc. This may sound stupid but Iwas looking for some
feedback from the experts here. (I would never ask this at O.G.
because this is the only serious and mature place ive found!!!)
Thanks PEACE PINEY

B

baccas125

will look into for you

will look into for you

i am not sure. in theory i guesse you could do this. this would take a lot of timeand severly stress the plant. it could be done. i will hry to find more info about this. baccas

G

I would think it would be almost impossible. Most strains dont take the same nute concentrations. I'm sure if you ran a certain nute cocktail some of the grafted on strains may burn or just need more of something. If you found strains that had the same needs as the other it may work. But I doubt it. That book gave me a headache the first time I read it. Its like reading a calculous book.

Blatant

G

guest123

im not sure piney , but it sure has crossed my mind too , some sativa stock and two different strains grafted on , sounds like fun doesnt it ... from what ive seen with cannabis it s very forgiving , might be a fun project ay ??

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Well...

I dont know if its possible because the plant my not be able to take the stress.

But my biology professor took us to this pine tree with cedar branches grafted onto it. Trippiest looking tree ever... :alien:

bartender187

I wonder why more effort has not been given to the cause of MJ grafting in an effort to disguise the physical appearance of the plant? Wally, you are the master of disguise, and you have my full support in any grafting projects that you see forthcoming.

What can be grafted?
Most varieties of a particular fruit or flowering species are interchangeable and can be grafted. Because of differences in vigor, some are better able to support others as understocks. For example, although a union is possible, sour cherry is not a good understock for sweet cherry. Sweet cherry is more commonly grafted onto Mazzard (Prunus avium) or Mahaleb (P. mahaleb) seedlings.
Plants of the same botanical genus and species can usually be grafted even though they are a different variety. Plants with the same genus but of a different species often can be grafted. But the result may be weak or short-lived, or they may not unite at all.
Plants of different genera are less successfully grafted, although there are some cases where this is possible. For example, quince, genus Cydonia, may be used as a dwarfing rootstock for pear, genus Pyrus.
Plants of different families cannot be grafted successfully. Although it has been reported that relatively short-lived grafts of herbaceous plants of different families have been made, there is no successful practice for commercial or home grafting of woody plants of different families.
It is sometimes believed that two plants can be made into a genetically different plant by the process of grafting. However, there is no basis for this idea. Although there are cases where a different type of shoot develops from the graft union, this is the result of a chimera, a type of mutation. This is not a true intermingling of the genetic structure of two different plants as occurs in seed-produced hybrids.
Ray R. Rothenberger and Christopher J. Starbuck
Univ. Missouri Department of Horticulture
Full article here.. http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06971.htm

Forfingoz

full time daddy
Veteran
ppl are doing it on og i never seen the out come but you might wanna look there

DarkLance

Grafting a different plant onto a cannabis bush for disguise would not work. That would be like "grafting" a dog's leg onto yours.
Grafting interspecies might be possible, but it would severely depend on the differences in the plants.
Two very similar strains might grow well together. The is sometimes seen as the pears on an apple tree graft that is commonly referred too. Most apples and pears are quite similar.
That might mean that you would be able to combine plants, but I think the strains would have to be so similar that you would accomplish nothing. But that is my opinion, you would really have to get a hardcore breeder who knows cannabis inside and out. Maybe one of those guys over in Holland.

Edit: How about grafting a male branch onto a female plant for reproductive purposes? Build-Your-Own-Hermaphrodite!

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
DarkLance

thats what someone at og was doing male on to a female as well as a female on a female.........

if i got time all go look it up and post the out come i have not been there in like 2 week's lol wonder why?

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
possible

possible

grafting two varieties of cannabis is actually not as hard as many think. of course you must be familiar with the art of grafting in the first place. it will take some time to learn so if anyone plans on trying it i would suggest you dont do it with anything that would break your heart to lose.
hell,i've seen cannabis grafted to hops for that matter. (the two are closely related)

i worked in the nursery business for several years and learned grafting producing japanese maples and ornamental cherries

honestly, i think its just to much work to be bothered with it in my garden. but i can understand why those with very limited space would find the idea appealing

just make a small clone of each of your mothers to use strictly for scion production until you get it down

hope this is helpful

peace
beans

G

I thought the plants being grafted had to have the same number of DNA strands/genomes as the Host. Because if the host doesnt have the DNA strands to say fight off infections its stuck. No?

Blatant

DarkLance

I don't think its the DNA that's important here. The two plants aren't really merging, they just kinda co-mingle.

Maybe justr the tubes got to match up

G

Blatant is right the DNA is the key.

I would like to see someone attempt this, I personally don't have the space so who is gonna step up and graft away in the name of IC ?

One of my friends use to graft his plants he used clones from a mother plant. I think he used Nl x shiva. He used to graft the clones in a plastic kid pool that was deep. It helps keep plant numbers down as if its grafted togeather its one plant. wish i could still talk to this guy but he is in jail now. Lets just hope he gets out soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts