What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering bud problem?

Hey, weed heads
I have a problem with a few flowering plants.
Here is the situation............
veged in 2 x 400 watt HPS light (800 total) for 2 weeks in 1 gallon buckets., then transplanted up to 3 buckets for another 2 weeks.
Soil Mix is Super Soil brand mixed with 1/3 pearlite added a tbl spoon of bat guano, fish meal, blood meal, bone meal & Mycorrhizae Inculent ( Plant Sucess) then doubled potted the buckets with this mix.
I switched to a 1000 watt MH lamp, afer another 2 weeks veg.
O.K here is the problem, The plants look really great, but only after about 2 weeks flowering some of the pistles are dry and withered. They dont look like they completly form. The Calyx is small & green, And It mostly is @ the top of the plants, but like i said its only doing this on about 5 bubbleBerry plants. If i can get my brothers digi can ill try to post a few fliks.
The light is set @ 15 inches from the tops, Temps are Set @ 79 F high. Low temps are 69 F, humidity is between 50 - 60%.
Any ideas would be helpful Thanks.......CC

G

how is the light cooled ?
15in from a 1000w is alittle close I think . tell me if im wrong .
do the leaves twist at the top at all ?

light cooled....

light cooled....

Th light bulb is not directly cooled, but i have a 100 cfm oscillating fan blowing between the bulb & plant tops. Then I have a 8000 btu/h window Air conditioner cooling the room. The room temp dosent get above 83 degrees in the hottest part of the day, it was 102 this afternoon.....so i think i have a cool enviroment.
There are a few leafs that are curle, but not twisted. they look somewhat like an albino leaf, half is lighter green, or deformed, so i dont know whats wrong....thanks C.C.

You might have it backwards too.

You might have it backwards too.

Plants want Blue Spectrum Dominant MH's for veg and Red Dom HPS's for Flower. Could I suggest a 1000 Watt Veg/Mother room and an 800 Watt flowering room?

Last edited:
The Pictures....

The Pictures....

Here are 4 fliks of what they look like. Dont know what is wrong, why the pistles are drying up prematurly. I know it isnt from the light bulb. But thanks for the sugestions....peace C.C.
1549Bench_graff_102-med.jpg
[/IMG]
1549Bench_graff_101-med.jpg
[/IMG]
1549Bench_graff_100-med.jpg
[/IMG]
1549Bench_graff_099-med.jpg
[/IMG]

G

those nuggs are burnt back the light off needs to be around two feet from plants min
625100_0046-med.jpg

try it what can it hurt 1000w mh 1000w hps

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
It's not the light

It's not the light

If the light was too close you would be burning them.Is there a chance there's a male or herm in the garden?Your plants look healthy so I don't think it's because of the light.It may have shocked them changing the light and keeping it so close but you would see fresh pistils starting to form now.Are there new ones forming?Be absolutely sure that you don't have a herm pollinating your plants.Take care................CC:)

Capt. Crip

Veteran
one other thing

one other thing

If you touch the pistils they will sometimes die from this.One other thing that will cause them to wither prematurely is spraying them when foliar feeding.So if your misting your plants this could also be your problem.Take care and let me know if there's anything else I can do..............................CC

something isnt right....looking a lil better...

something isnt right....looking a lil better...

Hey, Capt Crip
thanks for looking, I didnt see any hermies, i dont touch the tops or pistiles, and i did notice on 4 of the 5 plants there are clusters of new pistles forming. So im thinking it might have something to to with the changing from H.P.S light to Metal Halide light. well i guess we will see what happens....Peace...C.C.

Capt. Crip

Veteran
your OK

your OK

Yea,they were just a little shocked and should make a complete recovery.:) Glad to hear that your seeing the fresh pistrils returning.Take care..............................CC

omega7

I have to say Herbman and southernsmoker are right. That last plant pic looks like heat stress to me. Switching from Hps to halide isnt going to make a plant stress like that. You are better off with the hps in flower unless you have an agrosun gold MH or a sunmaster warm deluxe. I understand you probably want the higher watt light over the ladies. Also for "light bleaching" or for even heat stress it isnt always the temperature of the room. The room might be 83 degrees, but that doesnt mean it isnt 100 degrees right under that light. Best way to test is to put your hand palm down over the top of the plant and use the back of your hand to judge the heat. Dont dismiss heat stress, it could very well be something else, but for it to happen after you switched from 400 watts to 1000 watss. More than a coincidence Id say.