What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
berryhill said:
Sorry HempKat, failed to mention the 1- 1000M.H. was just for vegging. I'm going to use a 2nd. 1000Watt a total of 2000watts for finish. 10 plants per light. Thanx HempKat.

Ah okay then......................nevermind :D

green_grow

Veteran
a pipe maintenance question :

i smoke my herb almost exclusively via a wooden pipe now and i noticed lately its drawing very poorly . should i clean the passage with a pipe-cleaner soaked in solvent (Varsol), or will this leave an unpleasant residue ? also, should i smoke the resin i have scraped out of the bowl and off the screen, or will it just melt and clog things up again ?

HempKat

Veteran
green_grow said:
a pipe maintenance question :

i smoke my herb almost exclusively via a wooden pipe now and i noticed lately its drawing very poorly . should i clean the passage with a pipe-cleaner soaked in solvent (Varsol), or will this leave an unpleasant residue ? also, should i smoke the resin i have scraped out of the bowl and off the screen, or will it just melt and clog things up again ?

Well I wouldn't recommend any solvents, not for a wooden pipe anyway as the wood would tend to soak up the solvent. Also I believe varsol is toxic and flamable although I'm not sure. There are some good ones that are considered non toxic for glass though. For Wood I'd just use a pipe cleaner. As for resin, well some smoke it and even enjoy it. Personally I would never smoke resin unless I was extremely desperate. Even then I'd have to think about it. To me resin tastes nasty, doesn't give much of a buzz and often you get a headache afterwards. It will eventually clog up the pipe again if you smoke enough of it.

Last edited:
B

berryhill

HempKat, I brought a NL#5 mother with me a 1000 miles to my new location. I've been cutting on this clone from a clone for about 3 years. However, now that she's in her new home looking nice and healthy, every leaf on her is 3 fingered, even new growth. Whats her (problem)?

Erbsdaword1

Update...week 11

Update...week 11

hOwDiE HK!!

Just thought I would give ya'll an update on the baby.

Here she is at 11 weeks...

and a close up shot...click it to see the pretty trichs!!!

She doesn't even stink, unless I pinch or touch...then its STANK-O-LICIOUS!!

...ps, I don't think I mentioned this....I only have a 100wHPS.
I grew her too tall this time, but you always learn and improve.
I will try a shorter veg time, like a micro grow. My clones are already to go, just waiting to harvest, whoooot!!! :woohoo:

Laterz
Erbs

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
berryhill said:
HempKat, I brought a NL#5 mother with me a 1000 miles to my new location. I've been cutting on this clone from a clone for about 3 years. However, now that she's in her new home looking nice and healthy, every leaf on her is 3 fingered, even new growth. Whats her (problem)?

I'm not entirely sure, I had the same thing happen to me with my last crop of clones. When trying to figure it out I asked around and found a few who had seen the same thing in their grows and yet were not sure why. The one thing we all shared in common besides working from clones was that in each case the plants were kept in veg longer then we would have liked, usually waiting for the flower room to open up.

I asked another grower whom I respect for knowledge and he said it sounded like they had gone back to a more juvenile state but he too seemed unsure of the cause of this. All the people I spoke to that had this said their plants flowered okay and by harvest the leafsets were more normal. In my case they flowered like normal but the leafsets stayed at 3. Now in my case, as I indicated I had vegged longer then normal (about 10 weeks) waiting for a bigger space. My veg area is limited and at the end it was so dense with growth the plants were smothering on another which killed alot of leaves. I think in my case the plant was trying to restore that growth and I should have let them veg a bit longer. I had single blade and 3 blade leafsets and had I stayed in veg those might have become 5,7 or 9 blade leafsets?

Now another thing to consider is that you have been cultivating this particular strain for several years and have now moved 1000 miles to a new location. Marijuana plants are highly adaptive, for example they will make adjustments on the genetic levels in it's seeds to help the next generation do better in the same environment. What I'm driving at is 1000 miles is a long ways, lots of things could have changed about your plant's environment.

Sorry I don't have a definate answer but my guess is something about the move effected it and it's making adjustments. The key thing is you say otherwise it looks nice and healthy. I'm thinking it will work itself out. Is there anything significant that has happened to the plants from the move? Or is there something about the new environment that's noticably different from the old?

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
hOwDiE HK!!

Just thought I would give ya'll an update on the baby.

Here she is at 11 weeks...

and a close up shot...click it to see the pretty trichs!!!

11503wk_11_003.jpg

She doesn't even stink, unless I pinch or touch...then its STANK-O-LICIOUS!!

...ps, I don't think I mentioned this....I only have a 100wHPS.
I grew her too tall this time, but you always learn and improve.
I will try a shorter veg time, like a micro grow. My clones are already to go, just waiting to harvest, whoooot!!! :woohoo:

Laterz
Erbs

Very nice Erbs for 100W. You are thinking in the right way too, that to get the most from that light (which will never be a monsterous amount) you should follow the micro grow styles. As 100W is pretty much micro when it comes to lighting. Technically it is enough wattage to grow one good full size plant but the problem is it lacks penetration and so you got to keep the plant low and the light close to get the most out of it. I can tell now you will be a good grower, you have learned the most important lesson, you always learn and improve. We're stoner Marines, we "Adapt, Improvise and Overgrow!" :biglaugh:

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
green_grow said:
thanks, hempkat ... alcohol turned out to be a real good pipe-cleaning solvent .

Doh! I forgot all about alcohol. Still I wouldn't use a solvent on wood myself, like I said wood will soak solvent in. Maybe I worry too much it will effect the smoke but I would worry about that.

Erbsdaword1

Thanks for the props HK!!

hehe, you said penetration, hehe

Seriously thought, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. They are going to be nice buds ontop, but the rest will be fluffy, and less dense. Thats ok cuzz, THE CLONE ARE READY!! Round 2!! And this time, we are going Bubbler Style!!

Laterz
erbs

PS...I quoted you in sig...great stuff!!

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
Thanks for the props HK!!

hehe, you said penetration, hehe

Seriously thought, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. They are going to be nice buds ontop, but the rest will be fluffy, and less dense. Thats ok cuzz, THE CLONE ARE READY!! Round 2!! And this time, we are going Bubbler Style!!

Laterz
erbs

PS...I quoted you in sig...great stuff!!

I'm honored, and glad, I try to be funny and it's nice to hear I succeed in spreading that humor. :tup:

Definately your buds that stay inches from the light and about maybe 6 inches down should be nice, after that growth will drop off dramatically.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a setup that small as it always seems high maintenance from the threads I've seen. Alas not everyone enjoys the same freedoms I do so my hat is off to you guys with the determination to make the most out of a little. :tup:

B

berryhill

HempKat, thanx for your response to my question. The enviromental changes could very well have caused this. In addition, the water in my new location is quite different. Specificaly, well water, inwhich I have to use pH down now, where as before I didn't. Alot of minerals in the water also. I will have the water tested in order to make more specific adjustments. Just recently took 25 clones for a safety precaution and to see if they root up as usual. Thanx for your asistance HempKat.

HempKat

Veteran
berryhill said:
HempKat, thanx for your response to my question. The enviromental changes could very well have caused this. In addition, the water in my new location is quite different. Specificaly, well water, inwhich I have to use pH down now, where as before I didn't. Alot of minerals in the water also. I will have the water tested in order to make more specific adjustments. Just recently took 25 clones for a safety precaution and to see if they root up as usual. Thanx for your asistance HempKat.

Ah okay, yeah the water could be playing a big part in that. I'd be interested in hearing what you find if you ever get it tested. I too use well water, it comes out 6.5ph from the tap so I don't have to adjust the ph but I'm concerned that something in the water has been messing with the plants. I'd be interested in comparing your water analysis to mine.

Erbsdaword1

Hey HK!! :wave:

It's almost that time, and of course I have questions :yoinks:

1. I know to look for the discoloration of the trichs (Got my Capanna di Radio lighted 30X magnifier!!! :bat: ) but what ratio cloudy to clear is what I'M not clear on...

2. When should I start to flush out the plant, and what is a good time period? btw, I'll be using GH Flora Kleen, and I have been using the full line of GH products. The bottle sez about 4 days, but we all know you have to adjust for this plant. Suggestions Plz... :lurk:

Thanks in ADvance!!!

Ebs... :sasmokin:

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
Hey HK!! :wave:

It's almost that time, and of course I have questions :yoinks:

1. I know to look for the discoloration of the trichs (Got my Capanna di Radio lighted 30X magnifier!!! :bat: ) but what ratio cloudy to clear is what I'M not clear on...

2. When should I start to flush out the plant, and what is a good time period? btw, I'll be using GH Flora Kleen, and I have been using the full line of GH products. The bottle sez about 4 days, but we all know you have to adjust for this plant. Suggestions Plz... :lurk:

Thanks in ADvance!!!

Ebs... :sasmokin:

I can't remember if you are soil or hydro, if hydro then 4 to 7 days flush is fine, if soil you want to go 7 - 14 days. At least that's what I do with chemical nutes but flush to me is just watering with plain water.

As for the percentage of triches well that's a tough call. Mostly it depends on what kind of buzz you want. If you want a heady energetic buzz then you want mostly cloudy with some clear and almost no amber. The more amber you allow and the more you get towards no clear triches at all, the more couchlock the buzz will become. You should be careful though you don't want it to go too far that way. Alot depends on the strain too. Many growers report of having strains that they let go several weeks beyond the suggested harvest date and still had less then 10% amber. I had a crop like that myself. In those cases you got to look at all the other factors, leaf loss, no new growth, most or all hairs have changed, the bud has kind of puffed out (swelled), overall health, etc.

What I like to recommend to any grower, new or otherwise is when working with a new strain for the first time when you feel you're nearing harvest, take samples along the way. When you get to where you think it's good then harvest most of it but leave maybe one plant to see what happens if it goes a bit longer, again taking samples along the way. This way you'll have a good feel for the range of the plant and know exactly when to harvest next time to best suit your wants. :joint:

NG2k

hey OF :wave:
just a quick question for you more experienced growers who i trust.
i finished my first grow a month ago today actually, and the bud is now "curing" in a jar. the problem is it smells bad, and gets worse everyday, you will probably assume mold. However i let the bud dry for 11 days and it was really crispy before i jarred it and i opened everyday for 10 mins, for 2 weeks then it went to every other day. there was a lot of leaf material in the jar and i was told this could make it smell bad so yesterday i removed all leaf and left the jar open for about 4 hours and it seemed to smell better when i closed the jar but when i opened it today it still smells bad. to sum it up what could it be? could it harm me if smoked?
Thanks all
NG2k :wave:

Hey folks I could use some help with cloning. I am growing micro style indoors,flowering under a 150HPS,with a sperate closet for vegging under flouro shop lights. I have had some limited sucess in creating clones but I think they were accidental,you know when conditions were just right. I have a single white lighting plant outside in a 5 gallon bucket that I would like to get some clones from before it goes into flower. I bought a seed heating mat, since it was really hot that week I put it in the basement which is much cooler. Put the cuttings in ponies like flowers come in,in a mixture of vermiculite and perlite,soaked in a weak solution of Olivias cloning liquid with a couple of drops of Tiger Bloom. Dipped in gel,put in a plastic greenhouse under a CFL. within a few days they were mushy and the leaves just pulled off the stem,right where the stem went into the medium,like they were rotted or cooked. Anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Erbsdaword1

HempKat said:
I can't remember if you are soil or hydro, if hydro then 4 to 7 days flush is fine, if soil you want to go 7 - 14 days. At least that's what I do with chemical nutes but flush to me is just watering with plain water.

As for the percentage of triches well that's a tough call. Mostly it depends on what kind of buzz you want. If you want a heady energetic buzz then you want mostly cloudy with some clear and almost no amber. The more amber you allow and the more you get towards no clear triches at all, the more couchlock the buzz will become. You should be careful though you don't want it to go too far that way. Alot depends on the strain too. Many growers report of having strains that they let go several weeks beyond the suggested harvest date and still had less then 10% amber. I had a crop like that myself. In those cases you got to look at all the other factors, leaf loss, no new growth, most or all hairs have changed, the bud has kind of puffed out (swelled), overall health, etc.

What I like to recommend to any grower, new or otherwise is when working with a new strain for the first time when you feel you're nearing harvest, take samples along the way. When you get to where you think it's good then harvest most of it but leave maybe one plant to see what happens if it goes a bit longer, again taking samples along the way. This way you'll have a good feel for the range of the plant and know exactly when to harvest next time to best suit your wants. :joint:

Thanks Again...

I have started to see some occational cloudy trichs, mostly clear sofar. As for hairs, they are all still white and puffy. I think there is like 1 or 2 red ones on the whole plant, so I would say COME ON WEEK 12 :woohoo: which starts Sunday for day 78!!

Also, I have a Hydro Ebb n Flow Ghettomade Mini Quad Unit. LOL(what did he say?!?!:confused:) I made it myslef, will post some pics when I clean it up after harvest...kinda messy right now. Another reason why Im surprised I have made it this far. The cab was a mid grow, had to do it idea. Heat was killing me, so I move her to a cab, made the ebbnflow and rigged up ventilation. Most of the construction was During the grow, so I have some saw dust, n stuff that I just can't get to when I installed the AC. The cab is tight, tight, tight....but perfect for a 100w like I got. Im kinda proud of the work with what ya got skills that I have. Can't wait to share. The reservoir is cool, because I can pull it out, clean it and refill it without moving or disturbing the plant...me likey!!

Anywho, I only have the one plant this time, but will be doing 2 next time, but alot shorter in veg to keep them shorter and fatter! And besides, 2 plants might be stretching the 100w, LOL!!!

I will let you know how she turns out!~ :joint:

Erbs :sasmokin:

HempKat

Veteran
NG2k said:
hey OF :wave:
just a quick question for you more experienced growers who i trust.
i finished my first grow a month ago today actually, and the bud is now "curing" in a jar. the problem is it smells bad, and gets worse everyday, you will probably assume mold. However i let the bud dry for 11 days and it was really crispy before i jarred it and i opened everyday for 10 mins, for 2 weeks then it went to every other day. there was a lot of leaf material in the jar and i was told this could make it smell bad so yesterday i removed all leaf and left the jar open for about 4 hours and it seemed to smell better when i closed the jar but when i opened it today it still smells bad. to sum it up what could it be? could it harm me if smoked?
Thanks all
NG2k :wave:

Hard to say for sure, what does it taste like? It's doubtful it's harmful. Assuming it's not mold. One clue is you said you let it dry for 11 days and it was really crispy when you jarred it. In a scenario like this the stuff is locked in that you want to work out in the cure. Also leaves are undesirable and you got some of that kind of cured in there. I'd say try cleaning the leaves and then put a small mist of moisture in the jar. This will rehydrate the bud enough to let you try to cure more normally and without the leaves of course having introduce moisture also keep a close eye for mold after that. Another trick is to introduce an orange peel instead of the mist. The bud will draw the moisture out of the peel and pick up an orange scent in the process.

Latest posts

Latest posts