What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2018

mikado1

No teas but we foliar-feed weekly with biomin calcium and AEA 2-part ..We also do a weekly root drench with tainio pepzyme as well as pacific-gro and some molasses , sometimes other things too. We might start foliar-feeding twice a week just to give the plants an extra boost, not much else to do up here anyway. peace!

Will you go more in depth about this part?

Last edited:

little-soldier

Been looking at your grows and all I can say is, green thumbs up Shcrews. You really got it. My dream has always been to grow 10 pounder trees outdoors but now that I have seen your trees and I know its possible, I might skip the 10 mark and go str8 for 20 LOL. Just kidding. How much did your blue dream end up harvesting last year? And was it better than the dream lotus or any other blue dream you had before?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Looking good Budz. What do you do about the lower branches that are below the first cage?
We prune off the first 2 or 3 sets of branches..

Will you go more in depth about this part?
rootdrench and foliar at least once per week. AEA and Tainio stuff is available at AEA website, biomin calcium you can find on google. anything specific feel free to ask

How much did your blue dream end up harvesting last year? And was it better than the dream lotus or any other blue dream you had before?
Last year we grew Kaya's Dream from south fork seeds, it is (Blue Dream x Chem).. The year before that we grew Dream Lotus from bodhi (Blue Dream x Snow Lotus).

I like Dream Lotus a bit better than Kaya's Dream, it puts on more frost and smells sweeter, but both are excellent Blue Dream hybrids... Very easy to grow. Our Kaya's Dream last year got 15pounds.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
springtime worktime

springtime worktime

This week we finished installing the drip irrigation for the whole garden, also did the first round of pruning and installed remesh cages for plant support. This is the end of the set-up phase. Everything is on cruise control, nothing else to do for a while except feed and water the plants. I haven't decided what to do for mulch yet. I didn't like using straw last year, it was dirty and made a big mess. Landscape fabric is expensive and eventually becomes trash... Living mulch is nice but it requires water and nutrients that the plants could be using.... hmmmm...

The garden is taking off, mounds and native soil. Everything nice and green, tracking the sun all day. The biggest ones are growing a couple inches per day, already 4-feet tall and just as wide. The OG's are a bit lankier than the rest but that is to be expected, however there is one Face on Fire (archive seeds) which is keeping up with the Kaya's and AOG's. Might be a good one to save for the stable.

Our next round of predator mites arrives soon. Keeping the plants clean is priority number one now, if they are cool then we will have a nice summer. I'm looking forward to taking it easy this weekend, might work on the house a bit and play around in the garden but nothing major.

peace!

aa9uwCwl.jpg

fbRVenul.jpg

jCJ080Vl.jpg

SvMM3zpl.jpg

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
That's so nice...you have great looking plants, and a very good grow log. Most OGs I've ran required lots of staking. This is one of the best outdoor grow threads

caliprop215

Veteran
Everything looks beautiful man.

How often do you water right now at this size. ? And approximately how many gallons? Im watering twice a week and i feel i should be watering more for faster growth? Mine are half the size of yours though

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Everything looks beautiful man.

How often do you water right now at this size. ? And approximately how many gallons? Im watering twice a week and i feel i should be watering more for faster growth? Mine are half the size of yours though
It's hard to say how much water mine are getting right now because it varies a lot from plant to plant and also depending on the weather. In the weeks shortly after their final transplant I really pay individual attention to each plant, we handwater them individually depending on their needs until they have grown into the ground a bit, at which point we hook up the drip system. When handwatering i don't pay attention to the amount, i just watch the plants and give them water as soon as i think they need it, and plenty of it, but not too often.

My setup is different than yours i think, we are growing directly in the ground basically, but for smartpots and other containers the general rule of thumb is to water them with 10% of the soil volume, maybe more or less sometimes depending on various factors. It's important to saturate the area and leave no dry spots, but also to let it dry out a bit in between waterings.

We just set up drip irrigation on the mounds and will be giving each mound approximately 100gallons per watering, probably just once or twice per week until the plants get bigger and the weather gets hotter, at which point they can drink 50-100gallons per day. Our native soil plants in the ground are getting about 10gallons per day right now but they dry out very fast it seems.

DON'T OVERWATER!

MedResearcher

Veteran
Dislike straw as mulch as well. Works good for erosion control, but imo sucks for ganja plants. Could go on and on about why it sucks, packs to tightly, has seeds, grown with nasty chemicals, comes with diseases, etc.. etc..

Would be a lot of work, those mounds are huge, but native duff can be really good. Have been using manzanita duff for a couple years now. When you harvest it, you can see native mycelium growing through it. Has a really nice balance of different sized particles, mulches, retains some moisture, drains super fast, has plenty of air, supports native fungus. If you notice anywhere a manzanita branch dips down and touchs the duff, it roots/clones itself, very great stuff for roots imo.

Mixed quite a bit of the duff directly into our mounds this year, and applied a mulch layer of it.

Plants look good, should be a good season.

Mr^^

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Would be a lot of work, those mounds are huge, but native duff can be really good. Have been using manzanita duff for a couple years now. When you harvest it, you can see native mycelium growing through it. Has a really nice balance of different sized particles, mulches, retains some moisture, drains super fast, has plenty of air, supports native fungus. If you notice anywhere a manzanita branch dips down and touchs the duff, it roots/clones itself, very great stuff for roots imo.

Mixed quite a bit of the duff directly into our mounds this year, and applied a mulch layer of it.

Plants look good, should be a good season.

Mr^^
I like that idea. we dont have much manzanita though... lots of oak and pine think those will work?

Badfishy1

Pine straw straw is VERY common in planters here. As a matter of fact there are companies that spread pine straw 365 days a year and are months off if one wants to schedule them

theJointedOne

Veteran
as long as the pine needles are brown they will not affect ph, the greens will and should be avoided

manzanita makes good compost too, fwiw

little-soldier

OMG this is goanna be so fun to watch:woohoo:
As always your plants are looking amazing Shcrews
I noticed from your previous lab tests that your strains always have a high thc %. I know its mostly strain related but when you mentionned that you are growing 3000f in altitude it reminded me of an old high times magazine I read years ago. They were talking about a durban poinson plant that tested higher than all the others.It was grown in Denver Colorado up in the mountains and they believed it was caused by the altitude at which the plant was grown. Anyways I thought it was interesting enough for you to know. Speaking of potency, did you find the dream lotus cross to be more potent than the original blue dream? Trying to find out if the snow lotus brings potency down in high thc strains like kush or blue dream.:tiphat:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Shrews! Great start to the season! The plants are filling in well from the beginning. Watering correctly makes all the difference. Its hard to teach, there are so many variables. You're right though don't over water. The plants don't need that 3rd bucket of water I found out.

I'm really interested in hearing about and watching the purple stemmed pheno of Ancient OG. Been growing an afghan dominant line with OG Kush in the lineage. A purple stemmed plant showed up last year that really caught my attention. I called it sativa candy spice because its leaves were a little thinner and it had an amazing sweet smell. Flavor was just like the smell and its almost too potent! I pollinate until Aug. 15 so I have 11 of them going this year and the rest of the garden is what I call "house indica" phenos.

Glad to hear you got the garden set up and planted! Keep up the good work my friend! :smoke: