What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fire/Smoke Curing

xet

This thread is inspired by information I read about curing tobacco with fire. Do you have any experience with fire curing Cannabis?

Below is the article [ https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/tag/pressure-fermentation/ ] with information:
here the leaves are essentially BBQed. In the case of dark fired Kentucky burley they are exposed to open fires (smouldering, not blazing, otherwise the tobacco will prematurely burn up) of hardwood and hardwood sawdust that are maintained on the barn-floor and give off smoke. In some cases, the amount of smoke is fairly moderate. In addition to drying the tobacco the fire curing process imparts an unusual, modest smoky and wood-like taste and aroma to the tobacco. Latakia is also a fire cured tobacco but has a far more pronounced smoke flavour and aroma. This is due to the intensity of the fumes and aromatic quality of the used woods. Syrian latakia is derived from a tobacco leaf known as “shekk-el-bint.” When it is harvest time the plant is cut and the leaves and flowers are laid on the ground to dry in the sun (essentially sun curing). When they have dried they are taken to storehouses, where they are smoked for a period of 13 to 15 weeks. The smoke is primarily made by using nearby hardwoods and pines, probably from the Baer forest, such as Aleppo pine, Turkey oak and Valonia oak. Also lesser amounts of other aromatic species like Lebanon cedar and Greek Juniper were used.

fire_curedCyprian latakia comes from a Smyrna or Izmir-type tobacco plant that is known as “Yellow Cyprus.” The Yellow Cyprus leaves are harvested by de-stalking them and are made on long poles to be hung in a tobacco shed. The leaves are then smoked over open smouldering fires. These fires are made from hardwoods, some pine and aromatic shrubs and woods such as prickly cedar and myrtle. It has been reported that the Mastic shrub is primarily used in the smoke generation for Cyprian latakia. The following formula may approximate the shrubs and woods used for the fire/smoke-curing process: Mastic 90%, Myrtle 4%, Stone pine (this one or this one) 4%, Cypress 1%, Other 1%. The nicotine content does not seem to be severely affected by the process. Dark fired Kentucky burley with its significant nicotine level is not that much different from the dark air cured variety. The moderate nicotine level of latakia does not vary greatly from the oriental base leaf it is made of.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Logroller is working on the technique. Best bet is to find him and his informative posts, he's the only one I've seen try it.

I've smoked some bud that was smoked by a forest fire?

Why is everyone pretending like the flavor of natural weed is flawed and needs a adjustment? Just grow natural weed, damn. The Paki Ryder in my window smells more like cedar than cedar. How can you improve something that's already stronger smelling than what it smells like? If my bud smells like lemons from across the house, how would lemon peel enhance anything? People need to stop growing shitty chemical weed and then trying to enhance it. Just stop growing shitty weed!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flue curing cannabis sprung from cob style curing. The intent is not to artificially enhance but to alter the experience.

Your comparisons are inaccurate and insulting.