What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

long term storage thread

R

Rubber Chicken

How well would boveda packs last in an airtight container in the fridge for a personal amount?

Months? Years?

Is the wine cooler necessary for keeping a personal amount for a long time?

Thanks for any help. Very good thread. :)

theJointedOne

Veteran
Just saw a hundred pack, all nitrogen sealed. I was amazed at the perfect moisture content while zero mold on even the big nugs when opened near the stem.

Smell and taste was there, although it was not as bright green as I was hoping, hard to get rid of as dep, meaning it was still obviously full term, the quality was tops though

R

Rubber Chicken

How well would boveda packs last in an airtight container in the fridge for a personal amount?

Months? Years?

Is the wine cooler necessary for keeping a personal amount for a long time?

Thanks for any help. Very good thread. :)

No one?

Is using a cheap vacuum sealer a bad idea?

bigAl25

Veteran
I just bought a vacuum sealer to try out. I don't consider $149 cheap at Sam's club. After over a year in mason jar my buds lose something. I hope the vacuum sealer can work for long term storage. Anyone else use them?

Flyingteapot

Mylar bags in a cool place. Only disadvantage is they need a nice sealer but the cheap ones aren't worth buying since they die too quick with a a lot of use. Quality not quantity

pashio

I know people use freezer or refrigator... I don't think its needed... For me its just mason jars and cold dark storage.

CptnFeatherswrd

I just had a though.
Use a metal or plastic lid glass jar and an ikea or similar vacuum bag. Cut a hole in the lid big enough for the vacuum attachment to poke through and seal the lid down with the plastic vacuum bag hanging out the side. It should seal.
Then attach your vacuum cleaner and suck out all the air.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
imho you may want to remove as much moisture as possible from your product, before sealing up.
The downside to drying as much as possible is the destruction of the more fragile terpenes. When I pack my stuff away at 55% the power of the aroma is massive. When I dry it out completely, the smell fades quite a bit. When I bring the moisture slowly back to 55%, the initial powerful aroma is severely diminished.

Terpene loss.

gobbler3447

storage in jars

storage in jars

I have always,used jars to cure and vacuum sealed jars. I use a food grade silica style for humidity control anyone ever use that type stuff?

tech1234

From years of experience:

putting away and not coming back to it until one big move - chest freezer

Gonna be going in and out with stuff frequently? (in a climate controlled building) - chest freezer with a controller set to 45f

Gonna be going in and out with stuff frequently? (in a NON-climate controlled building aka barn,shed ,ect) - chest freezer with a controller set to 45f and a small heater

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-...id=1472829482&sr=8-1&keywords=Inkbird+Itc-308

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-My...e=UTF8&qid=1472829510&sr=8-1&keywords=my+heat

Deep freeze and hold is great, but a repetitive freeze/thaw will damage cell walls

bigAl25

Veteran
After a 6 month mason jar cure, I finally fired up the vacuum sealer. One tip you must be real quick on the seal button because it will crush the buds. After the first compaction I got muck quicker on the seal button to stop the crushing of the buds. Dark storage in closet. I only grow for myself so my quantity is small, I broke it down to 1/4 oz sizes. Time will tell if this does the long term trick, but I'm optimistic.

ExoticsRus

N Purge Gassing: Vacuum sealing cannabis machines?

I’ve been very disappointed by the communities will and searches online i’ve found for a something that is such a huge factor for all of us in this industry and growing for yourself ( Making bud last longer without damaging it).
Point is I’ve even called 3 different vacuum companies about their machines ( I found all companies from google for cannabis, but knew zero to nothing about costumers really wanting them?)

I wanted to see if anyone who know of any better companies that have better N purged vaccum for guys who have 50+ 5 gal buckets (gamma sealed cured) and I want to N seal all of it. I have seen a difference of squared compression to the insert bag way like the air vacuum does. Question to experienced guys on this ( N purged machines) Which machine is best for all me ( And all of the cannabis industry) for long term storage besides buckets or damaging your bud.

These are some of the products I found , Opinions or better product? Submit!!!

or (different machine/designs)

http://www.amerivacs.com/pricing/avc_pricing.html

different company with similiar video's and reviews?
Sammic SV-310S Modified Atmosphere:
http://vacupack.com/commercial-vacuum-sealer-sammic-sv-310t.html

& Anther Machine from a different company
CHTC-280F CHAMBER VACUUM SEALER MACHINE WITH DIGITAL CONTROL PANEL:
http://www.impakcorporation.com/sealers/chamber-vacuum-sealer/CHTC-280F

*Lets get a machine that eliminates stupid air vaccum or having way too many buckets after burping ( i use food grade buckets with gamma seals)

ExoticsRus

Did a few bags worth, ill report back how it does compared to vacuum or gamma buckets or jar in a few months .

Thanks

bigAl25

Veteran
Here's a heads up on the vacuum sealer deal. I put quarters in each package and just opened up a Papaya. The ganja seemed drier that what I sealed. Does the vacuum sealer remove moisture when it's sucking all that air out? Remember to hit stop or it will crush the buds just like the Mexican compressed weed of yesteryear. Well, I added a small lettuce leaf piece to the jar. I just opened it up and the papaya's aroma is back and wonderful. You papaya growers know what I'm talking about, it's heavenly and I now have some moisture back in the buds. Except for the dryness, I have not found any other drawbacks at this point. I'm going back and smell my papaya again, damn that shit smells good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frostqueen

A vacuum sealer and mason jars - then stored in the dark at around 50 degrees or lower - seems like a good way to go. If you use vacuum bags... yeah, yer gonna squish your flowers. Jars work much better IMO.

I'm trying out 2-quart jars this round, but instead of the vacuum sealing I'm gonna throw in a boveda and one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H57MOKA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1KBG9N2S2JTMX I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned them. Maybe there's a downside I haven't read about yet...?

Swamp Thang

Veteran
A vacuum sealer and mason jars - then stored in the dark at around 50 degrees or lower - seems like a good way to go. If you use vacuum bags... yeah, yer gonna squish your flowers. Jars work much better IMO.

I'm trying out 2-quart jars this round, but instead of the vacuum sealing I'm gonna throw in a boveda and one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H57MOKA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1KBG9N2S2JTMX I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned them. Maybe there's a downside I haven't read about yet...?

Having buds compressed in a vacuum seal might be a good thing.

The Malawian technique of tightly rolling buds to ferment for a while in vacuum seal, has been refined by Tangewna in his long-running discussion topic in this forum, and I would highly recommend reading about the amazing results produced by that innovative means of bringing out a truly unique buzz and flavor.

big_nims

research moisture barrier bags and oxygen absorbers. used by preppers to keep food items in storage and fresh for years. cheap and very effective.

Latest posts

Latest posts