What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tangie, is it hype or is it legit

theJointedOne

Veteran
I just puffed a bowl of dna's sour tangie a friend of a friend grew organic outside from seed.

Its nice. Not super flavors tbh. Really nice crisp clear high, with a little kick.

I like it. Dense too

orangina

Veteran
Tangie has a super nice smell if you find a good pheno, but I find her quite sensitve to all kinds of things. In addition did I built up quite a tolerance within just 1-2 weeks smoking it.
You will impress people with the citrus Tangie flav but that's it imho.

B

Bob Green

As far as Orange lines go how would you guys that are into Cali O rate Calizahr compared to Agent Orange, and Tangie?

I still have a few packs of Calizahr lying around. Seems like a good daytime yielder.

rykus

K just got linked here from asking about Sub cools orange velvet x JTR variety...

I do know the history on that, as i got the beans from the guy who did that work for subcool when he was having some personal issues.....

the clones orange velvet where shipped up from the states, and a few where intercepted by the border, but a few made it and where bred....

also very close friends with some tattoo industry folk, and my one buddy N in socal has been tattooing some old grower from the area that has made a few varieties for him to help deal with some cancer/health issues, but also claims that he developed the Tangie and was trying to work with DNA crew, but felt used and unhappy with how they where going about the breeding so he took back the real cut/s and left them with a half worked seed line they have been pimping out since...

just legends and lore, lol but i will be doing a few crosses hopefully to get to the bottom of it all!

seeded

I ran crockett's tangie in 2014 and it's tasty enough to warrant mentioning to someone that they need to try it once in their life but I wouldn't recommend growing it for everyone as it severely lacks in every other department. It's weak, most of the phenos I had bulked up quickly but took forever to mature, 1/7 had enough trich coverage to look like a drug variety of cannabis, etc.

Honestly it was so shit in every other way that I refused to keep it let alone try to improve it through breeding as you could just tell it would bring the quality down making it a 10+ year uphill battle to make something of the line. It's worth experiencing for the taste and smells but get someone else to grow it and buy/trade them for it because chances are unless you only care about terps it'll be a complete waste of time, money and effort in your own garden.

rykus

No, i dont think it is Crocket, he sent me up some other varieties he had and they seemed based on old BOG and other mid 2000's y stuff... but claims(to my friend) that he had developed the tangie and was displeased with what they did to her so he pulled his plants, apparently leaving them only 50% or 75% seed stock to work from....

not sure about exact details as it was a friend of a friend conversation, but buddy definately had no need to impress me and was pretty into his friends work...

think they talked about some blue moon rocks and a few other varieties...cant remember but ill try n ask again soon.

Burt

Veteran
I personally dig the green crack way more in terms of potency, euphoria, and the all important mango/citrus smell

Levitationofme

I grew out Sin City's version of Tangie last year.
Grew great in coco, cloned like crazy as well.
Has that great taste and smell. Stank up the grow room.
Trimmed heavily and the lower 1/2 kept clean of popcorn buds.
I am smokin some right now.
Very strong Sativa high, few minutes of Sativa anxiety, not much burn out. Lasts a couple hours of good happy stoning.
Was my first successful grow.

Pulled straight from a High Times article where Crockett is HT's host at his farm. He clearly states that Tangie is made from 200 "Orange Velvet" seeds he got from the PNW. AKA, Agent Orange from Subcool.

https://www.hightimes.com/read/sensi-sierras-0

He says he crossed it with "Candy Jack"... Considering I don't remember any pure Orange Velvet (remember this is the Melvin clone renamed) seeds sold in mass, and AO is (Orange Velvet x JTR male) I would wager a guess that Tangie is just some AO F2's... WOOOORRRDDD UP!!!

im glad this tidbit was added because I read this thread and was going to post the exact same thing. I think this is 100% legit. the Candy Jack MUST be the JTR.. when I saw that article a while back I made the same conclusion almost immediately. its not that hard to believe that AO and Tangie are from the same stock...its all in the selections..crockett even states in a youtube video that "selection is our specialty".. just an example of how you can get vastly different outcomes when 2 breeders work a line to their own goals. like if jj abrahms and tarintino were handed the same script and told to make a movie.. anyway I know this thread is dead but its a mega fun read. probly gonna grow a couple tangies this summer lol.

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

I'd say it's mostly all hype but still legit. Lol, too many hyped up strains to choose from but I'd imagine they are all pretty dank. You could still find dank in Skunk hybrids, the dankness is real, the Captain said so. :biggrin:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I agree with the capt, just my opinion.. there are so many awesome ganja lines out there that nothing new can be that much better than what we had decades ago, I mean it's the oldschool cuts that are still injecting vigour into the new polyhybrid pollen chucked up "gene pool" cuts that is getting so mixed up with bottle necked "elites" being selfed onto other elites.

To think to make the last hype phenomenon someone just brought durban into the mix to make cookies lol.. I was smoking pure durban grown from seed 20 years ago that would crush many of the hype cuts in terms of high and effect, but durban's high is special. So I think that move was actually genius but anyway.

Flavour of the month shit keeps the wheels turning..

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I say pure Durban,, there's not really such a thing as it was probably an african mix that was crossed to something asian way back when the african mining boom in the area attracted so many people to durban.. Anyway off topic..

I never liked Agent Orange so that has answered my questions on Tangie..