Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > hugelkultur beds for guerilla growing??

Thread Title Search
hugelkultur beds for guerilla growing?? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 PM #1
Kygiacomo!!!
AppAlachiAn OutLaW

Kygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of lightKygiacomo!!! is a glorious beacon of light
hugelkultur beds for guerilla growing??

has anyone else here gave this a try? i been reading great things about it and its great for a guerilla bc it cuts watering the plants to like 1 time a month bc the logs hold moisture and the roots grow down into there with all the new fungi and bacteria and just exsplode. the rotting wood provides moisture,nutrients and billons more fungi nad bacteria that is acclimatized to my area. this is my first year doing this style of growing but i have read great things and seen massive healthy plants in the summer droughts. here is the pics of it
Kygiacomo!!! is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 PM #2
_tessarecting

_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future
Hugulkultur works great but I've never seen it done with cannabis. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:58 AM #3
EssentialGround

EssentialGround has a spectacular aura aboutEssentialGround has a spectacular aura aboutEssentialGround has a spectacular aura aboutEssentialGround has a spectacular aura about
Ive seen huglekultuer work for food and ornamentals, also providing regular fruitings of edible mushrooms at the same time. I can only imagine that cannabis will do just fine provided you still amend the soil properly and provide aeration other than wood chips....

EG

-In The Field-
EssentialGround is offline Quote

Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 PM #4
VonBudí
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ

VonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud ofVonBudí has much to be proud of
check udg

Old 02-04-2016, 11:14 PM #5
heady blunts
prescription blunts

heady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond repute
yesss.

there's some folks on IG that are doin big trees in hugelkultur beds.

@mrs_white_rose_gardens grew some monsters last season in a new hugelkultur. she was using #lavakultur to tag the pics.

@greensourcegardens just built the most gorgeous hugelkultur berms but they are brand new and have yet to be planted. they will be madness by the fall.

definitely what i'd be doing if i had some land. sepp holzer styleee.

<3.F.U.C.K.E.M.F.A.M.<3
heady blunts is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:15 AM #6
DuskrayTroubador

DuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to all
Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?

For real, someone explain this to me, in simpleton speak please.
haunted hill; then be sure, exalted to Jove’s high seat,
the great Sperm Whale shall lord it.

— HERMAN MELVILLE, from Moby Dick
DuskrayTroubador is offline Quote

Old 02-06-2016, 05:09 PM #7
heady blunts
prescription blunts

heady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond reputeheady blunts has a reputation beyond repute
rotting wood creates heat and holds moisture and provides a very long term release of nutrients as it decomposes and is metabolized by soil microbes.

if you bury a bunch of wood with an appropriate amount of nitrogen rich starter material, then cover that with a thick layer of soil, you've got a drought resistant, self-feeding bed that is ready to plant before ground thaw, and stays warm past first frost, plus it improves each year with no additions.

that's the theory anyway. i'm dying to try it for myself!

theres some gorgeous ones in full production mode in the documentary "the agro rebel." sepp holzer is one of my favorite farmers. i've watched this short film a bunch of times---very inspiring. plus that yodeling soundtrack is so haunting! watching it transports me to alps, following sepp's pigs around on a tour of the krameterhof

it's good to see them on video. a lot of attempted hugelkultur beds i've seen american permies make are way too short. they need to be deep and tall to function 100%.

<3.F.U.C.K.E.M.F.A.M.<3
heady blunts is offline Quote

Old 02-06-2016, 05:47 PM #8
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
Hugelkultur is one of my goals as a gardener also.. very interested to see more.... been doing lasagna gardening for some time now with great success with just veggies, perennial herbs and fruit trees so far

Last edited by MrBungle; 02-06-2016 at 08:14 PM..
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 02-07-2016, 12:31 AM #9
Tactical Farmer
Compost is King

Tactical Farmer has a spectacular aura aboutTactical Farmer has a spectacular aura aboutTactical Farmer has a spectacular aura aboutTactical Farmer has a spectacular aura aboutTactical Farmer has a spectacular aura about
Been doing it, I like placing the mound in a location where the grade of the land is sloping down hill so rain water flowing into the raised bed giving it a "swale" affect.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:43 AM #10
Scrappy4

Scrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really niceScrappy4 is just really nice
I built two 75 foot long 5 foot wide hugelkulture beds in my veggie garden. One is two years old and one is one year old. Both have seasonal perineal crops. So far the crops have not been exceptional. I grew strawberries, asparagus, comfrey, and rhubarb. They did alright, but at this stage no better than other annuals, planted nearby.

But in my research things take up to 3 years to really kick in. And in my beds, I used native soil, (sand and gravel mostly) and looking back it would have been better to use a few totes of better soil and compost.

In my beds I used old rotting logs in a 18-24 inch deep beds, and filled in with horse manure. I guess in a year or two ill know more. Hope this helps.

Edit, as a side note, and in my limited experience and opinion for cannabis I'd go with raised beds made with good soil and top notch compost, for the short or mid term. For gorilla grows I like reusing holes (no till) lined with newspaper and amended with the ussual suspects. Worked for me in sandy dry soil for years.
Scrappy4 is offline Quote