What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD legal states are such a mixed deal for me

Klompen

So I want to start off by saying that I am not here to bash CBD, or say its snake oil or anything like that. I'm certain it has medical value and I have nothing against the people breeding strains that are all CBD.

That said..... CBD, in many regards, is so disproportionately hyped and accepted because it doesn't get you high. I can get legal CBD. I can vape it, and it helps me with some things. I can eat it and it also helps me a little. Its still not anywhere near as medical for me as smoking even a very weak type of bud.

So, for the last year I haven't had access to bud at all. We've been through some very hard times and there were a few reasons(mostly financial) that we had to give it up. We, my partner and I, were heavy smokers and it helped us a great deal with digestive problems as well as some other serious health issues ranging from nervous system problems to gout. The year I have been without bud has been something like torture for me. I don't get as much done, I hurt everywhere, I've gained significant amount of weight, and I've been pretty low energy. Yes, CBD helps with this a bit, and I've had some around for the last couple of months, but its still not the same.

I was going through some stored items and found a few old bags of plant trimmings. We're talking very low quality genetics that weren't very strong to begin with, the material is all fan leaves and larger bud leaves, and its been stored badly for maybe 5 years or more. Half the stuff that was in there got bugs in it and they destroyed it, but a little survived. The other day I rolled a J out of some of it just as a "for the hell of it" sort of thing. I was not expecting much. I felt better physically and mentally than I have at any point in the entire last year. I came home really hungry and laughing at things and just felt way more "myself". I wasn't particularly high. Like I said, weak shit, but it was like having a really good old friend come back to visit(only unable to get very close to them).

Its a little upsetting to think I have such a small supply of the stuff, but hopefully by next spring I'll have some produced. My life is really missing something important without it. I'm tired of feeling like the walking dead. I just hope that CBD getting in the door at least lays the path for THC and the rest of the plant to follow. No one who truly benefits from this wonderful plant should ever have to be without it. It "getting you high" isn't an unwanted side effect: Its the medicine doing exactly what some of us need it to. Its a gift to mankind and should be appreciated for what it does for us on so many levels.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
2 train of thoughts here :) Although CBD on their own have positive effects, it is indeed the THC that gives it the umf. The little "je ne sais quoi" That being said, it doesn't take "industrial quantities" of THC to make the medicine effective, as it is not the main medicinal component of the plant. <--- the jury is out on that one :)

The other thing to keep in mind is, although brand X will work for Jimmy, it might not have the same effects on Tommy. Finding the appropriate strain for your ailment vs popularity should be at the forefront of "ones" decision.

Klompen

I struggled with exactly what to call this thread and what all to say. I realize CBD really helps some people and I'm glad they can get access to it. I'm just frustrated that the cannabinoids that really help me are not being legalized. For me, even the worst bud around is like a massive step up from CBD. CBD certainly does some positive things for me, but around here all we can get is pure CBD and absolutely no THC in it whatsoever. Even faint, old, crappy leaf shake that is many years old gives me relief that the CBD does not. There's so many things about this last year that have been really horrible and to have to go without bud on top of that is just rough as hell. I miss it so bad. For me, high THC strains, especially strong sativas, have always given me relief to a degree that nothing else does. I'm not against Indicas or CBD strains, but really high THC strains have always been the most medicinal in my experience.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got to agree with you Klompin.

CBD is good but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I to don't mean to bash CBD either but... CBD is NOT the most medicinal compound in cannabis. THC is clearly the winner in this race where it has many more proven medicinal effects than does CBD. Every chart I've ever seen says this is so anyway!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
When I think of "using CBD" what I want is a 1:1 ratio. Any higher concentrations of CBD and it no longer seems as medicinal for me.

But of course, that's the beauty of cannabinoids. No two people experience them the same.

rolandomota

Yea cbd is legal federal now the FDA put it at schedule 5 the lowest schedule the one produced by that UK company

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
As long as there is a prescription opioid epidemic going on I figure all cannabis laws are a typo. It is actually legal to grow and posess as much as you want.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
CBD has a "Bell Curve of Effectiveness" when it's used by itself. This means you get nearly zero effects at low doses, and only a moderate amount of effect at a certain dosage. Once you go past the effective dose there isn't much improvement and you begin wasting CBD.

This completely changes when you add 3% or more THC. This is the main reason I get irritated by "CBD Only" legislation. The legislation was created from ignorance and continues to hurt the public. Meanwhile, a whole bunch of people are being mis-educated on how "Cannabis isn't very effective" due to their experience being with CBD only products.

**Facepalm**

Klompen

Yeah its much better when mixed with THC. Maybe I should have said in the thread title that I mean "CBD only". I've tried the very best extracts available here and they all have zero THC in them. The governor personally has declared that CBD products may not have any measurable THC in them.CBD totally has its place, and the high CBD strains are probably a great thing; the CBD alone though is just not enough for me. Why must our leaders be so regressive that something so demonstrably harmless is still such a big deal?

I wish you were right bigtacofarmer, but they'll still throw you in the slammer for growing and using it. I'm still going to grow it though because to hell with them. Any government actively working against your health is not doing the job it is supposed to be.

Blaze20

Figured I'd drop my 2c since I have a small company which sells CBD oil and such. First off I completely agree that CBD works better in conjunction with THC through my experience. We have a lot of potential customers looking for thc free cbd oil, but we choose not to sell it. Obviously the amount of thc that's allowed in industrial hemp is super low, but we know a lot of people who really feel the oil helps with their ailments. Plus it's great that hemp growing is taking off in America again since it has so many uses outside of CBD production. Personally, I use to be an avid cannabis consumer but it started having adverse effects on me. So I'm really not into type 1 cannabis anymore . I typically vape type 3 and then add a pinch of type 1 for a little boost. I think we'll start seeing a lot more strains that have a more balanced thc/cbd ratio (type 2) I also think this will help with the push of finding the right ratio's of cbd/thc and other various cannabinoids along with terpenes to treat various issues.

Klompen

Good questions. I have never heard of this classification system. I've known a few people who's personalities didn't work well with cannabis use, but as for health conflicts with it, its a lot harder to say since the research allowed on it is so limited(though thankfully getting less so). All I can say with certainty is that since being forced by circumstance to give up what you call "Type 1", my health has really gone downhill. I truly did not realize the full extent of how much it was helping me. The problem is, prohibition of it was also keeping me impoverished. I had to choose between having money or having my health. Hopefully this sacrifice will pay off by early next spring. Realistically that's as soon as I'm going to be able to have bud again.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Type 1 is THC varietals.
Type 2 is mixed THC/CBD varietals.
Type 3 is CBD varietals or hemp.

Klompen

Thanks for clearing that up MJPassion. The other night I tried another experiment where I coated the inside of a cigar with CBD extract(super critical plant extract, and I probably used around 20mg) and then filled it with the nasty old shake. Its the closest I can do to Type 2 right now lol... I will say that the effects of the CBD were noticeably enhanced, but I also wouldn't say the overall effect was that superior to just the shake alone. Maybe at some point here if money is not so tight I'll buy some brick weed or something and see how that mixes with the CBD.

Latest posts

Latest posts