What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I Used To Be A Wet Trimmer

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wet trim with machine . I was under the impression that this was about hand trimming.
Im not putting my buds through one of those things.

Wet trim with machine . I was under the impression that this was about hand trimming.

I have seen commercial ops wet trim by hand also........

Completely retarded, but it happens.

All my buds are always hand trimmed. Dry hand trimmed.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone whos actually been involved in harvesting and hand trimming anymore then a few pounds would easily understand this.

MrBungle

I believe if a commercial grow opts to wet trim, its most likely because they are in a rush, and they had to hire more folks to trim.... And it ends up costing more money with a less desirable product, but I don't know anything about commercial ops or growing.. just going by intuition

green404

I know a a good number of commercial growers that hand wet trim. Hand trimming is still very common.

Anyone whos actually been involved in harvesting and hand trimming anymore then a few pounds would easily understand this.

Understand what ?

As I stated earlier in the thread, there is a correct way. However, your statement that nobody wet trims in the commercial setting just isn't true. Sorry. It's a big world out there, almost anything is possible. :tiphat:

understand what?

GGNo2

It's funny we've been looking into trimming machines just tonight. We've only got 36 plants but even that seems like a laborious job for 2 people. We can get a machine for £400. Are they really that bad then?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Just to be clear on the dry trim process, What amount of trimming is done as stems are cut from the plant prior to hanging? Fan leaves, Anything with a curable stem? Bud leaves that are not sugar?

Preferably, you want to take all the fan leaves off. Then depending on the size of the plants, you can hang entire plants, or branches. I try to get most of my sun leaves off in the fields, before harvest.

Hydro8

I do my trim in phases.

At harvest I pull the fan leaves off hang until the the outer leaves dry and start to curl around the buds(usually about 3-7 days) then trim them while they are still playable and I can get the scissors under them.

Then the sugar leaves get dry but playable in 6-9 days trim them and put in jars to cure.

I live in a dry climate so if the flower totally dry out I will run a humidifier to make the trim leaves playable before trim. I always try to trim while the leaf stems are playable to get a closer trim and less crystal loss.

I have played around with longer dry times 10-20 days but never notice much difference. I do notice difference in the cure time with some strains really maturing and getting max flavor in 60-90 plus days.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fan leaves are always left in the field ... we call that bucking ... trimming only has to do with small bud leaves . This keeps the trim nice and "clean ".

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
So, I have seen and smoked Hand cut wet trim and dry trimmed as well as machine trimmed wet and dry.

Is there a term for trimmed, leaving the sugar leaves as is?

"Sloppy" maybe?

Nonsense.

"Natural" is how i'd describe it.

:dance013:

Then again, I'm growing for me.. and friends who get a jar at Xmas time.

The smoke is good; no question. Whether trimmed prior or sugars picked off when it's consumed or rolled into the joint... It's all good!

hang branches or whole plant for 14 days in a room 60 degrees with 60% RH. after that the leaves just kinda flake off and trim easier than wet ESPECIALLY wet that's started to dry a little. The only downside is the trim isn't as good as fresh frozen but the bud is way better. the leaves protect the buds from all their trichs getting knocked or fingered away as they dry around the bud like a protective sheild.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I have the first cut tagged and hanging in a tent with a humidistat. Sugar leaves will stay on. It's hooked up to a dehumidifier and a humidifier to keep the tent at 60% +-3%. Can't go wrong. I'm going to keep bending and checking the stems as they dry to see if I can pick up some old school understanding on the process.