What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hanging buds top side up

Reaper

I would like to hang my buds this way, instead of the usual 'head down, bottoms up'.
I believe that this will make dry trimming later on easier, as leaves theoretically will not be so close to the bud.
Has anyone tried this?
I have a massive harvest ready in one month and need to figure out 1. if this is worth doing
2 how best to do this (what to use to hang the buds)

Any input will be appreciated

MrBungle

I'd try with clothes pins or big paper clips over string, but I think the branches will and up flipping over or falling off by the time they are dry...
I try to leave branch splits, so I dont have to use a bud to hang it...
I also think there would be lots of handling to do it the way you wanna hang em... where the traditional way the buds easily hang off the string using a branch or bud to hold it up.. hope this makes sense

I tried this because I had a triminator mini dry, I used ornament hooks to accomplish it. Ps triminator mini dry sucks a bag of dicks.

Reaper

I tried this because I had a triminator mini dry, I used ornament hooks to accomplish it. Ps triminator mini dry sucks a bag of dicks.

Can you tell us about your experience hanging the buds this way? Was it worth the time, ie did it make it easier to dry trim your buds afterwards?
And what did you use to hang the buds?

MrBungle, the paper clips are a good idea

Cantharellus

I would use a strip of cardboard with slits cut down one edge every 10-15cm depending on bud size. I am sure from seeing your previous grows all the way back to when you first posted on the internet they will be huge. Then make a rack to hold the cardboard strips. when you slide the stem in the cardboard will hold it tight. Pizza boxes would work good I would think...Also if the bud touches the cardboard it will absorb the moisture so reduces the risk of mold.

You are a fucking hero dude.

prune

Veteran
Ive posted previously on this topic, usually referred to as the "Raisin Cure". There's some details back there, but the gist is that the buds do dry in a more open configuration that is unusual and sometimes appealing. Hand trimming can yield particularly stunning results, but a machine is going to want to chew off much more niceness than a standard hung crop.
The downside is that the buds tend to look Larfy and leave a lot of shake in a bag situation. Kinda tough to market in a commercial atmosphere...

That makes me paranoid since I've had the borg appear in my drying room before. When the branches are top down, the borg will just settle at the top of the branches and won't bother the buds making it incredibly easy to deal with these little fucks.

I imagine an absolute nightmare would transpire if you hang top up and that happened.

Just my first thought when reading through this. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That makes me paranoid since I've had the borg appear in my drying room before. When the branches are top down, the borg will just settle at the top of the branches and won't bother the buds making it incredibly easy to deal with these little fucks.

I imagine an absolute nightmare would transpire if you hang top up and that happened.

Just my first thought when reading through this. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

The Borg don't show up to chew on drying plants. If you saw them on your drying plants, they were already there when you cut them.

X

xavier7995

Would something like the "dying on the vine" method work? They would be upright-ish and it supposedly works well, though i have never tried it. You could trim them up still on the plant.

The Borg don't show up to chew on drying plants. If you saw them on your drying plants, they were already there when you cut them.

Yeah, true. Maybe that isn't such a big concern. It's just happened to me from moving plants between buildings and the borg moved from some dirty clones in a veg room over to the drying room... those little fucks... When Googling solutions, I see it's been talked about enough to have several entries on various cannabis forums. But it's probably not that common. That was just my first thought since they're pure evil and I think if this happened in a top up drying room, it'd greatly fuck up three months of work.

BerrySeal

Would something like the "dying on the vine" method work? They would be upright-ish and it supposedly works well, though i have never tried it. You could trim them up still on the plant.

I wouldn't trim them on the plant, because i dont believe in trimming until after cure, but they should be dying on the vine anyway. There's nothing you can do to screw up pot as bad as using chems, except to let the plant go into dehydratory shock; taking water out like you just blow torched the damn thing. Chopping wet does this. Trimming wet does this. Cutting the plant up before it's dry does this.