What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic supersoil ph?

Packer420

A copy paste message from my previous thread:

I know we say we dont need to ph when watering/feeding with super soil organic and whats important is the soils' PH by itself.

So what PH would be ideal for the soil? So it won't hurt to water/feed with that ideal PH for supersoils right?

I was giving 5.8 as i thought i was still dealing with a soiless/hydro not PHing for soil/organic soil/supersoil grow.

WTF. But they still look just fine.

Thanks a lot masters!

T

Teddybrae

Soil? generally between 6 and 7. Cannabis 6.7 isn't it? Did I understand the question ... ?

Packer420

Thanks a lot to you both! Would now water/feed 6.5 to my soil. How could i have used 5.8 for my soil, oh well, they can only get better this time coz i have been feeding them 5.8.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
U R welcome good buddy :) All that being said, it all depends on your "brand" of nutes. I use the "gobox" from General Organics (a sub to General Hydroponics) I was adjusting my solution (PH up) to 6.3/6.4 and wound up with a PH deficiency. I then started to do what I was toldat my local shop, "don't worry about PH, just feed 'em" (gobox with HP ProMix and, all is well now.

DTOM420

U R welcome good buddy :) All that being said, it all depends on your "brand" of nutes. I use the "gobox" from General Organics (a sub to General Hydroponics) I was adjusting my solution (PH up) to 6.3/6.4 and wound up with a PH deficiency. I then started to do what I was toldat my local shop, "don't worry about PH, just feed 'em" (gobox with HP ProMix and, all is well now.

That’s some terrible advice from that grow shop. Lol! I’m still not sure how to get images from my phone to post on here but I have some great pics of a plant in some soil that somehow got too acidic - it ain’t pretty. Now I us a pH meter to check soil as I’m building it. That makes it easy to build a soil right around 6.5 which really works well. Soil has a lot of buffering capacity but it surely has its limits.

Dog Star

Veteran
Am made some experiments and sees that water 7.35 PH didnt made plant ill
or any deficience... tough i love to put few mililiters of apple vinegar to low a
bit PH so then is 6.8...

last time i measure ph was before 5 years... think i need to sell a Hanna PH/EC
meter as i dont need to use it for organics..

troutman

Seed Whore
Test the runoff if in doubt. I prefer my pH from 6.2 to 6.5.

Anything above 6.0 and lower than 7.0 is good in soil.

DTOM420

Am made some experiments and sees that water 7.35 PH didnt made plant ill
or any deficience... tough i love to put few mililiters of apple vinegar to low a
bit PH so then is 6.8...

last time i measure ph was before 5 years... think i need to sell a Hanna PH/EC
meter as i dont need to use it for organics..

I used to agree with that but here recently I started having crazy issues with a particular plant that had been as healthy as it gets and was my favorite plant. About 2 weeks after transplant into 7 gallon bag (from 6” pot) I started seeing symptoms of what looked like a shortage of Magnesium and phosphorous. Couldn’t figure out why because there was plenty of both in the super soil mix and I was pHing the water to 6.4. Finally I checked the runoff and got around 5.3!! I was like, “WTF??” So I used my soil pH probe and it showed just over 4! It was a bag of FOOF that was my base media and I still had some laying around. I checked it and got, essentially, the same results. Now, this is an extreme example and I’ve been bringing her around by watering with our well water that’s around 7.7 to compensate for the acidity in the soil.

Now, I’m using that probe when I’m building soil to insure that I don’t get another “off” bag. That buffering capacity only goes so far. Probably most folks will never have this problem (and I’m switching away from FoxFarm) but there ARE times when they can be helpful, imo. Sure glad I had mine, anyway.