What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best storage for oil?

Miraculous Meds

Id love to here your best storage ideas for hash oil. What is the best temperature to keep it at for long storage (month or longer)?

Ive used a cool room temp environment in a dark closet. While pulling some out occasionally, I notice slight oxidation and aroma loss within 1 to 2 weeks.

Ive also used the freezer and fridge for long term storage. In both situations, after multiple times pulling the jar out to restock the smoking supply, I have ended up with some moisture in the oil. Usually not a problem, but one time smoking a sizzling nail, and I don't want to do it again.

My main go to method for longer than a couple week storage, is to freeze, then pull out small amounts (to smoke) quickly, before I get much condensation, and replace the bulk jar back in the freezer. Some personal stock that I keep for longer than a few months starts to darken in color.

thanks for any input!

I keep mine in the freezer in an air tight container with a few desiccant packs. Keeps everything nice and dry. I notice a slight bit of flavor after 3+ months.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting subject & I’m interested as well.

I’m currently wrapping in parchment & placing it in a container in the refrigerator.

I saw mention, once, that wrapping in PTFE sheeting will preserve aromas. I’ve no experience with it.

killa12345

Most of my large slabs are placed in costco parchment, vacuum sealed, and placed in tupperware tub in the fridge. I typically will gram up a slab of each strain and keep those in separated parchment papers for daily use...these are vacuum sealed too but i only take out like 2gs a day for consumption. Its an easy way to tell my habit and allows me to plan ahead for runs.

I store my ethanol extracted oil in 1ml needle-less syringes in the fridge. I just draw the oil into the syringe when it's still warm following decarboxylation. The syringe makes for easy dosing as well.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is there a shelf life at room temperature storage ??? ... ...i'm just storing wrapped in parchment

Oxygen, heat, and UV all degrade concentrates. Thin sheets are more vulnerable to those elements than thick slabs.

Even in thin sheets, I go through a couple grams sitting at room temperature long before it can even wax up.

I keep my stash in jars or in parchment or PTFE packets sealed in a Ziploc in the freezer.

I let the jars warm to room temperature before opening, and pull one small packet at a time out of the Ziplock bag, while still in the freezer where humidity is low, to minimize water pickup from humidity.

~star~crash~

i recently did a simple mason jar soak of some fresh GG#4 ...then a nice vac purge & the extraction came out nearly clear !! ...hee hee

axle2u

hey star crash....

can you elaborate a bit further on that nearly clear, smear you made yourself..?
most curious....strain used, your yield, your process...and flavor

thanks so much

axle robot