What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's QWISO journal

woolybear

Veteran
I got a 24% return on my last batch. I ran a couple ounces of 1-2 year old cured buds, two washes about 2 minutes each. Frozen buds/iso, winterize thru coffee filters.

All the oil i've made so far has to the power to knock me out. pics:

picture.php

picture.php

aeros

Hey hush great thread! You always have something worth reading going on. I don't think you mentioned anything about the smell of your vape pens.. do they give off an odor when smoking the stuff? I plan on making some qwiso once my plant finishes flowering but until then I've just been shoving nugs in my pen and fuck it smells.
I hear you can pretty much smoke oils and stuff anywhere.
Anyways great thread can't wait what you think of next

aeros

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
As far as smell goes, I have to say I can notice it when I exhale it in a room with no drafts. It's very subtle, and it dissipates quickly. But there is definitely an odor there. Now, that being said, it's nothing at all like the smell of the flowers themselves, or like smoking them. I admit I was hesitant at first to take a toke in my office at work, and I was super paranoid about it, keeping the door closed, etc. But the more I realized I never smelled anything lingering, the more frequently I would take tokes at my desk, and before I knew it, I was doing it right in front of people who were talking to me in my doorway, lol.

JointOperation

ya it comes out a lil darker.. and less smell and taste.. wen using iso.. compared to butane.. atleast out of all my iso/hexane runs come out with less smell and taste.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
im getting back an average of 15% return on my material. what is the secret to increasing yield? i wash the material 4-5 times for between 60 and 90 seconds.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
update-did another wash last night. agitated for 120 seconds x 5 washes. yield increased to just over 20%. one ounce of shake returned 4.9 g of shatter with no degradation in consistency or quality. just a nice big chunk of shatter. im washing an ounce every day but i dont think i am going to veer too far off this current formula as i feel i have hit the sweet spot.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Great thread Hush! I too once tried the iso method but it ended up being black tar. I still smoked it but wasn't worth dealing with in the end. I'm thinking if I do it again I need to not shake so violently and more importantly, as you've been showing reheat it after. I had good luck with bho the one time I attempted, but I guess more of a process than iso.

_jko_

Nice journal and experiments!! Im for a country far away :D here i just can get ethilic alcohol 95% been trying extractions, i have a question, does ethilic alcohol works the same as the isopropilic? i get an oily gooey sticky dark brown stuff. almost imposible to manipulate at room temperature, i have to freeze it in order to manipulate it, really dabable and good high, yesterday i made an extraction but i had an strange sensation of soareness in my throat maybe because i let the plant matter and the alcohol for long time and used the same alcohol to do 3 runs, can anyone give some clues here?
sorry about my writting but my english is kinda rusty now.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yes, ethanol works very well as a solvent for cannabinoids. People refer to that kind of oil as QWET. Just like with isopropyl alcohol, you need to do a quick wash with ethyl alcohol. You can go much longer than with isopropyl, but you still only want to do 3 or 4 minutes. Gray Wolf has a lot of good information about it here:

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

Hush. Love the journal. I will post pics of what I made in a bit. Y'all. After you are done washing, you can get a kief like substance if you leave water in the mason jars you use and then evap them like normal. I followed skunkpharms method on that, I used it for edibles, but it was with Ever clear which is food grade! I also make a ice salt bath to hold all the containers while it is filtering. I go from metal strainer to cheesecloth to 2-3 coffee filters. Works great!
I had a question for Billybob, you are using everclear or ethanol with washes that long? How is your final product not black or green with washes that long with iso? Thanks!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks for bumping this thread, vgi. I really need to get back into my extractions. I stopped because I simply ran out of material. Now I'm swimming in it again, so no more excuses! :D

jump /injack

Veteran
If you've been hitting on that Northern Skunk you just harvested your probably going to bed pretty early if you can find it. Can you imagine making some shatter out of that?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Time to bump this thread again. Here's some Blueberry QWISO shatter I made today:

VtghfYb.jpg

This was made from about a quarter ounce of blueberry buds from a while back. I dried them completely and then put them in the freezer for 48 hours, along with a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol. Then I took them out, crumbled them up with my fingers, covered them with the alcohol, soaked and swished for about 60 seconds, filtered through cheesecloth, then through a coffee filter, and put the filtrate back in the freezer again. After about 12 hours there were waxes and other particulate that had precipitated out. Next I ran that through a coffee filter, in the freezer to maintain temperature, and then poured it all into the evaporating dish, under a fan. I finished off the evaporation with a hair dryer. Then it was all melted gently on the stove top. What I was left with after it cooled down is a shatter, with a nice amber color.

I haven't tried it out yet, but only because I'm all out of oil carts. It sure looks pretty! I'm surprised it came out so hard and shattery since the buds were kind of old.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well while I was out today I decided to stop in a head shop. I haven't been to one in years... It turns out that head shops sell vape attachments these days! I didn't know that. Anyway, I bought myself a new toy:

UTanHJm.jpg

EGL3liw.jpg

So now when I get home I can try out my new shatter. :cool:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
That atomizer kicked my ass. I took one good, long toke of that blueberry shatter and I'm stuck to the couch now. It's hard to know if the atomizer is that good or if this is just the best qwiso I've done yet. It dawned on me actually that this is the first time I used high quality buds as the starting material. I usually use sugar leaf. Also, it was the first time I did a dewaxing step. So I think this may be the best qwiso I've done before.

I just gotta load less next time...

Latest posts

Latest posts