What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's QWISO journal

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just did another extraction, and this time I wanted to use heat. I used a hot plate to evaporate the alcohol away. The thermometer I used said the temperature never got any hotter than 170 or so throughout the whole process. It took less than an hour to evaporate away the alcohol. The end result appears to be fully decarboxylated or something, because it's really sticky and really dark. I haven't sampled it yet.

Here is what it looked like right after taking the dish off the hot plate:

dllGzvx.jpg

Here it is after gathering with razor blades and remelting:

9lDnuVx.jpg

Held up to the light you can see how dark red it is:

fHbZSk4.jpg

I had to freeze it to get it off of the parchment paper because of how sticky it is. Then I only had about 15 seconds or so before it began warming up outside of the freezer, and I had to put it back in again! It was ridiculous, lol. This stuff is way too sticky and runny. I hope that means it will work well in the oil cartridge. Anyway, here it is after getting it all off the paper:

IZoxeNl.jpg

It's so dark! :eek:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just sampled it for the first time. The effects are still kicking in as I type this. But I can tell that this is a more sedative type of high than I have been getting from oil since I began experimenting with it. I only took 2 small puffs from my vape pen, on the lowest setting, and I am feeling kind of heavy at the moment. I might need to go take a walk or something to stay capable!

Pragma

Very nice thread gj.
I've been doing only QWEth since I can't find any proper tane around here.
I process dry sift rather than trim and it gets me a way cleaner product.

The only gripe I have with Iso/eth is that all the products come out tasting the same more or less. But from what I noticed curing the result for more than a month or two brings out a strong taste that otherwise isn't there, even after a purge.

mrgrynch

Mentally Disturbed
ICMag Donor
Very nice thread gj.
I've been doing only QWEth since I can't find any proper tane around here.
I process dry sift rather than trim and it gets me a way cleaner product.

The only gripe I have with Iso/eth is that all the products come out tasting the same more or less. But from what I noticed curing the result for more than a month or two brings out a strong taste that otherwise isn't there, even after a purge.

I'm going to be looking to make some concentrate with my current grow. Do you have any links to your process? I've not heard of dry sift method.

Peace,
-G

mrgrynch

Mentally Disturbed
ICMag Donor
Hush, thanks for sharing your experimentation. I've learned quite a bit from your thread. One question I have is, that looks like a small amount of oil. How long does it last you?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Good question. I have never weighed it or calculated how long it lasts me before running out. I would say that each little extraction, where I am running about a quart of alcohol, ends up keeping me high for a week or so. I will weigh it next time though. I might as well be privy to how much oil I'm making and going through.

mrgrynch

Mentally Disturbed
ICMag Donor
Seems like a lot of trim for such a small amount of concentrate. What is your source for sugar trim? Is it from your own harvests? I am asking because my own grow will likely not yield as much trim as your extractions used, but I do wish to try some concentrates

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I use barely any trim at a time, actually. I'm limited by the size of my evaporating dish, which only holds a quart of liquid. I don't weigh the starting material, but I'm guessing it is only about an ounce of trim per extraction, but probably less than that. I've never weighed trim so I can't even ballpark it, like I can with buds. I did one large extraction so far, which is the one that resulted in the peanut butter looking stuff on top of page 2, and that one I estimated to be about a quarter pound of trim. But that was a guess, for me, not necessarily anyone keeping score, lol. It was probably anywhere in between 2 and 4 ounces, actually. But the end result on that one was easily close to 3 grams of peanut butter. That yield lasted me over a week of staying high all day long every day.

Anyway, I'll start paying attention to weights and yields. I didn't realize there were enough people reading this journal and who might be benefiting from it. So now that I know, I will keep you all in mind, and make note of things I would typically gloss over.

But yes, this is trim from an old harvest, almost a year old now. I harvested a pound from that grow, and the trim weighed more than that for sure. I've still got about a quarter of a brown grocery bag full of it. Then, when that is done, I have a grocery bag full of the fan leaves! I'll probably just make glycerin tinctures out of that.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
with alcohol.. do u need to get up to 170.. ? or?

No, absolutely not. It will completely evaporate away under a desk fan at room temperature. I was just curious what the end result would be like after quick evaporating like that.

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
Hush!!
Bravo!!!
Man, I love how you get that honeycomb by a partial decarb as the final purge.

At first, I thought to myself,170° is a little hot....

But, apparently it's prefect for the final purge and obtaining a unique Qwiso consistency.
Kudos brother!

mrgrynch

Mentally Disturbed
ICMag Donor
But yes, this is trim from an old harvest, almost a year old now. I harvested a pound from that grow, and the trim weighed more than that for sure. I've still got about a quarter of a brown grocery bag full of it. Then, when that is done, I have a grocery bag full of the fan leaves! I'll probably just make glycerin tinctures out of that.

Fan leaves? You mean the ones I've been pruning and throwing away? What good are they? Are they only particular fan leaves (late flowering stage, coated with trich, etc..) Sorry for my ignorance.

-G

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yes, the ones you've thrown away before, but only the ones that have visible trichomes, like the ones that are on the plant the day of harvest. Not the ones you prune for defoliation during the grow. Although, those presumably still have something good in them. Also, stems can be extracted as well. ;)

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
see you putting down some good concentrate knowledge in here hush def gonna have to try one of these techniques out ....I smoke my trim when the jars empty :smoke:

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Thanks for sharing hush! :tiphat:
This just makes my day :woohoo:as I want to do concentrates,,,,cannot afford off the shelf BHO extractors so have been really researching DIY stuff........than ran into this thread. Now I gotta do my homework on this method.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
This method is awesome my man. I mean, sure, BHO is probably purer by concentration, but QWISO is so concentrated, and full-melt, that I can't imagine the difference is all that noticeable. I've only ever sampled BHO a handful of times, so it's possible that I haven't ever sampled the highest shelf out there... but based on what I have tried, my QWISO is just as strong, and tastes much better. I always remember BHO tasting like practically nothing. With the QWISO, I actually taste familiar flavors, and there is a pleasant profile going on there.

Anyway, the method is all about keeping the alcohol cold, and doing the wash as fast as possible. If you have access to 99% isopropyl wherever you are, that is what you want. Otherwise, don't go any lower than 91%. Regardless of what equipment you use, or where you perform the extraction, you have to figure out a way to do it fast and cold. That is the primary lesson I've learned so far. Once you've filtered out the plant matter, you no longer have to be fast about anything. You can take your time, leave it in a jar in the freezer, and come back to it whenever.

:tiphat:

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
Hello Hush.
During my next.grow, I will be keeping all fan leaves as well throughout the entire grow.
” Juicing ” raw cannabis leaves has proven to be extremely beneficial to overall health.

I've even read where it has aided a wonderful young lady.
She was desperately wanting to have a baby, but continued having issues...

She began juicing cannabis fan leaves(no trichomes), and her overall health began improving, and she was able to conceive also.

It's one of the latest ” fads” out there, but this fad has some scientific support.
Sorry to go off topic... But wanted to share the ” juicing of fan leaves” and it's benefits since it was mentioned.

Ps
Anxiously awaiting your next run Hush!!
Did ya order some 99% yet? You can find on Amazon BIG containers of 99.99%Isopropyl.

If you have a grocery store called” Safeway”..they carry 99% on the shelf.
It's the only store that I've found that carries it.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Juicing... You're not the first person to mention that to me. I should look into it. :cool:

I still haven't ordered any alcohol yet. I will get on that very soon. I don't have any Safeways nearby me. I will definitely have to order it if I want some.

My next extraction should be sometime this week.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I decided to go ahead and do my next extraction today. I did the soak nice and quick, kept it all cold, but this time I filtered it out with a French press. It made short work of the process, so if the end result is worthy I will keep doing it that way. I pressed the shit out of it at the end of the twenty seconds, so I was expecting the alcohol to take on a slightly green tint... But it didn't! It's the usual color, which I refer to as "urine yellow" lol. But seriously, it's a very yellow, golden color. I realized today I've never taken any pics of the alcohol, before the evaporation, so here:

AkQo5O5.jpg

5AvfKjF.jpg

That's pretty accurate, color wise. Those pics are showing the actual color. It's very much like a buttery chardonnay, lol. Anyway, I'm currently evaporating it on the hotplate, on medium-low heat this time, to see if the end result is slightly less runny. I gotta say, the runny quality of the oil last time did make it vape better in the oil cartridge, but the sedative effect is pronounced. It makes great physical relaxation medicine, but doesn't get my head where I want to be.

More to come later...