What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MASSIVE OUTDOOR GROW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pimpslapped said:
Great read.
Thanks.....try to offer what I can, when I can, something of use...
I have to agree on people claiming expertise and giving out 'Facts' that are really just opinions. You run into it everywhere and it really annoys me. I consider myself an ignorant beginner when it comes to growing. I've read a lot of stuff on forums, but have no real education in anything related to plant growth, lighting or anything else directly related to growing ganja. Yet it is EASY to do.
Well, there's many different levels to that, and, I've been dealing it for years....ranging from people who have never grown, all the way through people who do have great knowledge and some experience, yet, what they've been exposed to (or not) in the course of that experience, may still have them unaware of many things which others, under yet different circumstances and experience, may still have them lacking exposure to certain things....I'm sure I am no exception.....

I think a smart approach is "Know what you know, and know what you don't know"....

For some reason, many seem to take it as a negative to say they are not aware of something.....Personally, I think very highly of someone who has the ability to say "I don't know"......

Those are the words of a man....imo....

Be that as it may.....
Seed+Dirt+Water+Light=Pot. The rest is all gravy. Was talking with a young acquaintance about growing earlier tonight. He's moving off to college and is thinking about starting a small grow... turns out he's been reading forums, etc... We talked for a while and he was just determined to make every aspect of it complicated. We're trying to grow a WEED. It wants to grow, we just have to let it.
You forgot nutes! (just messin with ya ..:smoke:

My little "saying" is "It wants to grow, with or without your help" :smoke:...and, it does, and, frankly, I totally agree with you.....people do make it far too complicated......

(Knowledge is invaluable.....truly......but,newer people tend to want to know everything.....when they would be better off sticking with the basics......)

I've known and trained a lot of people like that.....(real life).....
Oh sure, getting into the details of it, building your perfect soil mix, doing a hydro setup, 1kw HPS fully decked out growbox, what have you... those are all well and good, but none of it is really NECESSARY. I've only got one grow under my belt, 3 plants of varying ages one harvested the other going soon and a third in a week or two. What did it take? Some cheap potting soil, composted manure and a couple extras for fluff. (Trying to do a semi-organic grow, goal being to go pretty much full organic/natural when I have acess to everything I want... matter of choice, not necessity). I converted a 150w HPS security light, couple computer fans... some cheapo shelving cardboard and white contact paper. Pretty? Nope. Ideal for best yield? Nope. Did I grow plants that will suit my needs? Yep. Best part is the knowledge I have gained from it.
After you do a couple, and, as you proceed,....you'll develop a "feel" for it....

Indoor I have actually noticed the same as above..(someone new wants to know and understand all other methods besides the one they are doing....the mind wanders, etc.....clutter, etc....)

From what I have seen over the years....knowledge doubles per batch....like anything else..."getting that first one out" really paves the way.....

Well congratulations on your new hobby :smoke: (Just hope that it doesn't get a hold of you like some of us :biglaugh: Side effects are extreme addiction :smoke:
Nothing can substitute for experience. It's amazing how simple it was when I actually got off my ass and started doing it.

I've gone through N def, Ca def, underwatering, rootbinding, etc.. pulled my plants through it all with minimal effort really. My biggest problem is not being able to spot the problems early enough. I know a lot more about preventing them and fixing them now that I've DONE it than any amount of reading prepared me for.
Well, and, when your new, you really have no solid baseline for "what it should be".....what "healthy/normal" is......so.......sometimes a problem for new people.....they don't know...is that normal, is it not, etc.....(but, see, that goes back to "knowing".....because, it's fairly easy once one has confidence to see what is healthy and what is not, ya know?....)

I think another problem is usually how people start.....I mean.....we see it all the time....someone says they picked up a bottle of nutes...(turns out to be LK though, etc)...I think having a solid start/base to work from also makes all the difference....
It's easy to see that the same basic principles scale all the way up.
YES!......they do........the differences between 10 and 100 and 100 are purely operational for the most part.....(really, the issues which seem to throw most off tend to be harvest issues...because volume changes everything...need to have a systematic approach...etc)

Now, as numbers grow, there are slight variances...some methods may become impractical with volume, and, end up creating more problems/work......so....but, that is easily addressed in planning stage....
I know right now that I could attempt a 200 plant outdoor commercial grow and be pretty certain of having the plants survive and produce fairly well. Now finding a safe location that will keep from bringing LEO down on me... that's another story.
Well, you research, you plan, and, you plan again....most are done gradually over the course of time, so, if only one under belt, smaller, I'd say do 50.....or maybe discuss plan before also for input with people...they might point things out you might not be aware of......and, that might be your "test run", and after that you do more....I still see people all the time do larger runs that while successful in the sense of a harvest coming in, they have a lot of problems during the process..... Ideally, you want to eliminate as much as possible (problems) in planning stage......and, I think something overlooked by many is flexibility..

Things may or may not change throughout process......and those changes may or may not be significant...(I almost always do many changes mid stream....no biggie.....be flexible...work with what's on your plate and move on......I've had that happen a lot of times....also ties into season and planting late....this year I have seen a lot of people having problems....well....it's still early, still more time (now starting to get later though)....so.....can always alter, change, add.......not a big thing....key is being flexible...things happen, nothing you can do but adapt...
I don't know yet if I 'get it'. It seems easy enough, but I don't know if I really have any 'feel' for my babies yet... hard to tell if I'm right or wrong most of the time. I guess the only thing I can use as a benchmark is this: I put seeds in dirt. I have bud now. That's a win, right?
Hmmmm.........(trying to think how I can explain........)

You sit.......you look...close eyes...relax....take a deep breath.....and open and look.....

What do you see?....when did you water....what are nute levels.....and you look......

Now....it is obvious from what you know....and what you see, the state of your plants.......it is....

(And, see, here is where too much extra knowledge and clutter come into play......)

Just as in life....almost everything, all the time, is right in front of us......

You can see, feel, and know what is wrong, what is the issue, what is the state, merely by looking.....feeling..(medium, dry, etc, weight, etc)....

A simpler way is of course...how are you doing so far?....(ie: someone who loses 4 crops in a row and die...well, obviously...they just don't "get it"...

Now, some might say there is a spiritual issue in there, and, I would indeed fully agree.....but, for those who don't believe in that, well, then we could just address the above which is purely physical........the senses..(which is why I l;eft it out...some agree, some don't, so, not important......other examples.....)

Now, your still newer, so, it could just be a matter of it "sinking in".....getting "the hang of it".......I mean, not everyone will from very start......(but they might still develop a great feel and sense for it....)

Another great analogy, not perfect, but a good one ....

How's your car running :smoke:...

Now...one might not be a mechanic...but doesn't have to be to realize something wrong from what they see and feel (oil, how does it look, miles, low, gas, how much, etc, etc.....is idle rough?....how does it feel...

It's not: "what is the current state of xxx and how is xx wired.....it's simply "how does it feel"......Most of the time fairly simple to tell if there is a problem from just sitting there and seeing what you see, feel, hear, etc....

The senses man....the senses...:smoke:

The senses do not betray........facts only....

See what I'm sayin? :smoke:
My apologies for the long, rambling post but I've got my bong in my lap right now and every time I hit it I just seem to find more things to type. I'll try and reign myself back on topic here.
Please....you see my posts ......I obviously know how it is :biglaugh:
This thread has given me a lot of ideas for outdoor grows, opened my eyes in some ways. I don't know if I will take the step to doing any real growing in the wild, but it has been great food for thought. Using areal views to get a second or third survey of a potential location for problems is just so simple.
You don't have to.....(grow tomorrow....)....you just have some different views now to build on for the future......(I've had projects that were planned for up to 2 years....I've had something on my mind now entering it's 3rd.....I'll get to it when all falls in line....no rush (always bad to rush...most of the time)......You see things.......makes you think.....you see more...makes you think more.......

See, a lot of people (no surprise in todays society), get too wrapped up in "the now".....

Growing is a long term activity.......it's not something most do for a year and quit...like a job....moving, etc........Most who do....it becomes a very long term activity....so, the now is really not applicable....(I use that analogy when people have issues and tear downs and such become imminent.....I mean.....what's a single batch compared to 20 years?......What's (outdoor) a single season compared to 25 seasons?.....

The blink of an eye.....(and, of course, as discussed......"season" is misunderstood by many to start....."season" can be almost 3.5 months of planting opportunities...(even more for some in more favorable climates...)

So....you build man......
Question: You mention clearing out areas with power tools (I'm assuming battery powered weedeaters, etc.. similar things). I have a hard time immagining how exactly to go about transporting to and from the location. Many of the potential spots I have considered seem to have no nearby access roads or secluded places to park. Do you just drive off the road and park the truck behind some trees? I just can't get the image out of my head of parking on the side of the road somewhere and then dragging a bunch of gear up through the woods one load at a time, people driving past and wondering what's going on. I gotta get a better mental picture.

Goes back to the: What you can when you can where you can how you can....I use all gas powered.....(pics in thread and otherwise..) I can't remember using the battery, but, know there's a much shorter life span (power/charge) on em, and, of course, not as powerful as the gas powered, but....most not too expensive...you could try em out and see if they work for you...(even the gas powered not as bulky as most think, but, for your situation seems like it would be a problem, and, battery might do better, but, not sure if it would have the power to do what you want....(last time we were out weedwacked (by accident) a younger tree with about 3 inch trunk, to give one an idea of the actual power....(I was a little surprised, friggin tree came down right on top of us (was little tree...)

Access is something I feel pretty strongly about and one of the considerations (to me) for spots......I mean, can make all the difference man.....you know (success, security, etc)

Let me clarify:
Loading, unloading, packing....this is, aside from being in path, ones most vulnerable point in the process..(ie: imagine unloading plants and you know who drives up, or loading product, etc......)So, one has to be aware of access points, and,.......proceed carefully....(couple of my city spots have VERY dangerous access points......completely exposed for about 200'+/- 300....

Hmmm....maybe something of use :smoke:

What I do........for such spots.......I will come up to spot....mess around..(call, phone, something that looks valid, and, frankly, I will not move until I see cops go past....(this is in city mind you).......because, of course, once they go past ....means they won't be making their way back around that way for at least another 20 minutes...(their "beat", etc.....), so......that might be an approach of help to some.......I wait until I see them on their rounds before I move...and then I know not around for a while, and, I make a break for it.......if that becomes a few minutes?...I take a drive......have a cigarette...(3-4-5-6...I'm a chimney...)....and, still wait.....They're usually around once every 20-30 minutes or so, etc....

Some people also drop stuff off at a certain point and them walk back in through a different way, grab stuff......all depends how close you can get to entry..(like mny spot....2-300 ft to "disappear" out of sight....most of the time, just to be safe, I do night runs over there...dusk...and, I know visability somewhat cloudy, etc...so, that 300 might turn into 150, etc.......

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nematoad_Slayer said:
^I also have that problem...

Alot of great wooded areas around here but nowhere to park. Basily these woods just sit along the highway and go back for miles and miles. I woluld love to set up a bit larger volume, but to use these woods I really have nowhere to park...

Here's where aerial views come into play........

Use it to double check what you believe to be true (may remain the same, or, you may see other access points, etc......)

I see a lot of similar areas, and, there are entryy points somewhere.......what's backing them?...you have 4 sides......so, you go in, do an aerial, go in close and double check.......

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
star crash said:
question for ya' ... in a large op how do you manage the time to get all the plant maintenance acomplished in order for maxing your yields?
Nice pics....I wish I could prep outside...veg center I have right now can't(was picked for other reasons, very safe place, limited outside though because neighbors close on that location...only for prep and storage)....Have my eye on a new place though.. pretty secluded.....(I don't do anything else at veg place...no flowering, nothing out, etc, even if I could...only for veg and storage of supplies...)

Manage?...just tight scheduling and knowing what's possible...(ie: you make 500 at a time, you better know and be able to get 500 out at a time, or a week, etc, because then if you start another round, and, your off schedule, you will get backed up, crowded, etc...things will get too large (for transport, etc)....("knowing what's possible" meaning physically.....can you do it...)

During season I basically do weekends for larger, weekdays nights for small.....I mean, as above, you want everything as systematic as possible, max efficiency, etc.....any minute or hour spend could be on doing something else, somewhere else, so, everything you do should be max efficiency....how would all depend on what, where, when you have and you are, time available, etc.....Note: I never "do" anything......I sit down, relax, think a little.....then try and see what is most effective and efficient (time wise....) Same approach to reason why I toss most small stuff into bubble piles...not highest and best use of time and energy....ie: Why spend 10 hours messing with small stuff when you could get 10 times more done of the big stuff, which is the most valuable and the primary interest...(I thought that was a good example....)

Plus I have partners of course.....different people, different things, different times....I might have to run and take care of other things and they take care of yet again other things, etc...

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GorillaGrower said:
I think "getting it" is more than just being a gardener.. I think it is directly related to desire and goals.. being motivated to make it happen. Some people have it and some dont. The biggest thing I think anyone should get out of this thread is that anyone and everyone could do this.. It's whether the individual is almost addicted to making this happen.
Well, what I was kind of addressing when I was talking about that was one being in tune with plants.......some are, some aren't, and, academics really plays no part...One can complete a course of study on botany, etc, but that doesn't automatically mean that they are any more "in tune" with a plant than a janitor would be........

As the analogy (music).....some "have it"...some don't...and, point was there is something some possess which either allows them to gravitate and understand things more then others..(hence Steve Vai and the factory worker...)

Point was you don't need a horticultural degree to understand that a plant may be in need, deficient, over, underwatered, etc.....
Most people .. maybe 80-90% of them don't have the motivation do much more than go to work at a job work whatever there boss tells them.. then go home. When they get there they value that time of leisure. The last thing on that persons mind is What else can I do to make my goals happen. Then the other 10-20% of people are driven and push themselves, some are workoholics.. but the point is they keep going and making stuff happen for themselves. now add that with someone that understands growing.. and you have a mj machine.
an MJ machine :biglaugh:......push, workaholics :biglaugh: I think they call that obsessed :biglaugh: (not saying a word...I'd fall into that category......I wouldn't know what to do with "free time" if it bit me in the ass :biglaugh:)

MJ machine.......

The ability to produce a high dollar cash crop, anywhere, anytime is I think the most overlooked and underrated gift.......it's miraculous...........

When in need($), grow some weed :biglaugh: I always say :smoke:
Ie I know more men/women age 20-35 that work, own or have worked at a landscape company.. smoke and have smoked pot since they were 16 but still dont "get it" .. If anyone in the world would be better to get this done I dont know who. They have enormous amounts of experience, knowledge of tools, access to cheap materials,, a cover, determination to work in shitty conditions.. and most have grown up on land.. and know it well.
I think this was mentioned in the other thread but one of the single best things anyone a little heavy into growing could do is either own, or own a part of a landscaping company :smoke:.....(other thread addressed channeling of profits into related businesses...friends, family.......piece of electrical contracting firm.......landscaping company, etc (and, no, not unrealistic at all, very small amounts of money and actually significant long term returns.....)

I like landscaping companies, and, the bonus :shhhh :smoke: is they usually have accounts that provide access to many, many areas which are usually not used :smoke: (I have a piece, that's how I get pallets of nutes without a blink of an eye, organics.....) Not to mention in the process of such things, you are helping others out (friends, family, etc)...economy...something positive, etc......business's that can be started, invested in are endless and longer term potential.....

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alright.....

Trolls back at work.......so open invitation......

If I am wrong about something? Please feel free to offer what, why, and your commentary on it.....

If you have something beneficial to add? Please feel free to offer it....

I mean.....this is a discussion for the benefit of many, so, I fail to see if why every post I have written is inaccurate, false, why it has not been addressed by the "experts".....

Please......feel free.....that is the entire purpose......to cover any and all related aspects of the subject.....

And...if you don't?.......Well, then I guess it's more than obvious whose really full of shit :smoke:

No pics necessary either......it's a discussion, not a childrens book....I'm waiting....I'd like to twist one, sit back and read for a while also :smoke:

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pimpslapped said:
Getting out and doing large outdoor grows may be beyond me, especially if I can't reach a comfort level with my knowledge/skill/luck at guerrilla activity to safely pull it off. Paranoia never hurts, since I live in the US... they ARE out to get me.
Really the only limitations upon anyone are monetary and physical, and, of course, it all really boils down to spots (outdoors) but, even in the middle of one of largest cities in the world....I have spots going :smoke:

But, really, and, I say all the time....the most important factor (with anything in life) is your comfort level, having to do with knowledge and more importantly confidence.....

Confidence major factor in anything anyone does, at anytime in life. It's the deciding factor. (ie: You could have knowledge, skill, spots, resources, etc, but, if you don't feel you can or you should, then, of course, it would probably be unwise to proceed......)

Uncertainty can be a dangerous emotion.......

If you should?, than you will. You will decide when (or not) for yourself, and, nothing anyone else says or does can affect that.

I think the most important thing to all is always staying at your comfort level (indoor or out, doesn't make a difference...same can be applied to someone wanting to do a warehouse space....)
I have to say I know a few people along the lines of the landscapers who smoke but never grow. If I had that job, I would definitely take advantage of it but for many people the inherit risks are too great. Penalties associated with cultivation are far greater than those for small time possession.

I'd agree with you on the 80%/20% breakdown for the most part. But keep in mind that this is most definitely a game of Risk vs Reward and devil take the hindmost. Especially for those growers in the US or other countries that have actively enforced anti-drug policies. 20% may have the motivation to grow, a much smaller percentage having the balls to grow on larger scale. More plants=More risk+higher penalties. We all know how that works, but we all have to make our own choices as to how the scales balance.

I'm coming to realize that in many ways the risks are not as great as I had feared in the past. I don't know if I'm going to expand much past a hopefully perpetual personal grow, but I am definitely thinking about it a lot.
Well, many equate weight with number of plants, and, not necessarily the case......one could run 100 plants and yield the same as 500 smaller, etc, etc......(or any variation of that), and, I think that "risk" while always a factor is, (in my book) determined more by ones actions(and precautions, planning) than in general....hence the importance of planning and actual operations...

Of course a sound approach, proper measures takes, all rules always adhered to....of course one would not be facing an identical level or risk that another might face...

I think the planning and the op itself is where the level of actual risk is determined, not the overview...(jm2c...)

Same, again, as in or out......your as secure as your own actions....you determine your own security (by your actions and approach....)

We are all 99% in control over what may, or may not befall us at any given time by our own actions....ie: The problems of tomorrow are most of the time created by our words and actions today :smoke:

Things don't just happen...(as a general rule...we all know "X Factor" always in place regardless of actions) There is always a reason things happen.....

You plan, you proceed as close to as how you believe you should, and, you eliminate in the process the majority of problems that would arise from not doing so....and, that leaves, in the end, only "The X Factor".... :smoke:

I truly do live that way, and, gets me a lot of shit from people....("being anal".....but, as above......yep, I am, because I know, as above...what I do or say today (or do not) will create , or eliminate, the problems of tomorrow......) And....yeah...I do take that serious, and, I'm not going to wander around consciously creating more problems for myself....(sadly,...most do.....and blame it on "the world" around them.....) We are to blame for the majority of our problems....We create most of our own problems...

I think in 25 years I have only seen or heard (national) of less than 5 busts which were truly "X Factor" related......

Everything else due to a conscious lapse of security protocol..

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SoylentGreen said:
Thanks for taking the time to do this here and in the other thread.

It's.......people.........

:biglaugh:

:smoke:

Just trying to offer what I can....everything I learned was the hard way....never had anyone tell me any of this stuff....I didn't hit boards until had already been running batches for 20yrs..(And contrary to popular belief....also because I really enjoy the discussion and topic....lot of angles to it....quite an expansive subject including all related aspects......Sometimes some points even get me thinking about new things while discussing old.......)

I'd really like to get some city shots in also.....to share.....to illustrate....to help with ideas......(not prove, or because some feel they need them for content to be "credible" or accurate...) One of largest cities in the world....300,000 people passing within 10 feet of them every day, all day......really shows anywhere is possible.....and, ever after using them a couple years I think pretty cool actually..:biglaugh: Maybe a week or two......very hard to see them right now :smoke: week or two maybe be good pics....

Last edited:

pakalolo420

Seeing site opportunities is the magic variable to me. The plants will essentially grow themselves and 99% of the rest is essentially logistics. Growing cannabis outdoors can seem daunting on these boards because people like to overanalyze and complicate it- to show off botanical knowledge or just to talk. My outdoor growing technique is so simple, I couldn't post for long on a board without repearing myself, there's frankly just not that much to say as far as technique: Find a good spot, plant starts, let grow. Obviously it isn't quite that simple, but it's a whole lot closer to that than most would believe.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pakalolo420 said:
Seeing site opportunities is the magic variable to me.
All about the site(s).....I mean, without them/it, really, doesn't matter who you are, what you know, what you have....Could be most skilled grower in the world, but, without a site, weell, :smoke: Your out of business....

I try to point out that most , when they look at, look for, contemplate potential sites, for some reason seem fixated on will it accommodate larger trees, when, of course, as I've said elsewhere.."The spot dictates the method".....

When one removes all their preconceived notions about a "proper site" (based of course on larger plants, etc)..really opens up a lot of possibilities and also the later issue opens up even more, and, then you have risk related aspects which are greatly reduced..(One thing to have an untouched spot for 6 months......quite another for 3 months..... :smoke:)

People always seem to desire "the perfect" spot, and, sure, while that is nice, there might be 100 other locations that, well.....maybe not perfect, but, it'll do :smoke: Can you bring em in is the only question...

How's your stuff doing? (no pics necessary..just askin :biglaugh:)

(I haven't been to any of mine ...I think...for a couple weeks....(I might have stopped by one last week......really losing track of time lately...week before?....lot on plate...one day into next it seems for me lately....fun fun fun! ":biglaugh:...

How did you do those anyway? Later? Earliest? larger holes, smaller? fully prepped? tops feeds? import/native? (I know last thing looked very nice....I wasn't excited last time I was out, keep, losing track of time....was just hitting July....which is big, big month...so....keep tryin to remember where we are......forgot even what month it was yesterday let alone the day :biglaugh: Just been working non stop....(family, business's, domestic, women, ops....have top schedule a day in advance to go to the friggin bathroom lately :biglaugh:) Thinking of an extended vacation come November or so :smoke:
The plants will essentially grow themselves and 99% of the rest is essentially logistics. Growing cannabis outdoors can seem daunting on these boards because people like to overanalyze and complicate it- to show off botanical knowledge or just to talk. My outdoor growing technique is so simple, I couldn't post for long on a board without repearing myself, there's frankly just not that much to say as far as technique: Find a good spot, plant starts, let grow. Obviously it isn't quite that simple, but it's a whole lot closer to that than most would believe.
Eh, most of my things no maintenance.....if I have to sex and pull, that sees me doing more visits (which I really would rather not.....I'd rather stay away as much as possible...otherwise I head out for inspections of sites like once a month, etc....right now schedule is basically in ....eh....maybe 3-4 weeks might head out for a trimming of all spots at larger thing, and, a feeding...(top feed, organics....and, if enough water and stuff might hit em with a heavier flower mix if they look like it's about that time....) but then I did a round of starts this week again, so, might head out there to drop some (plant)....really haven't decided where I want what to go yet and exactly what I'm doing......(ie: go new round a week or so for next couple until the mini projects scheduled,still not sure....I throw the later rounds out a lot earlier......the ones I started just a while ago pretty much ready to go out.....Thought I was looking at a break at some point.....so....really not sure......Initial numbers were what I wanted and since then everything else has been basically just "gravy"...so..already a little too much gravy :smoke:(Earlier rounds (recent, not first) I was averaging about 14 days from sprouted to out...later rounds averaging I think about a week or so....latest rounds probably will go out the minute they come up....so, turnover increasing and helping out a bit ...)

I think most over complicate really......and, most know from indoor that really the best thing is to leave stuff alone and let it just grow....too much attention never a good thing..I like minimal also because, from a different standpoint, I can actually see a greater difference from one trip to the next....I used to go weekly all the time.....no need for that...now sometimes might just every 2-3 or even 4...depends...Had a tree fall on a couple in one patch, but, realistically....what would I have done about that anyway if even there the next day...(it's my opinion though that they are probably going to just grow right up through and it will maybe work out for the best, with tree as extra support :biglaugh:)

My city stuff?....I'm not even sure last time I was around there.........2-3 weeks? Not even sure...I think last time there was when I planted the ps round I was holding back for indoor....maybe I'll check first post....

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, with good stock 100%, but, you know, you plant 1,000, your probably not going to get 1000 viable anyway, ya know?...and then, some batches, etc....might have a lot of "runts"...(I did with one thing in specific this year, but, don't want to say anything, because maybe just a bad batch....don't want to tarnish breeders rep....could have just been a bad batch, so....you know....)

I do same as everyone...paper towels (think shot in gallery of a couple hundred PP's...), but, I do make sure all settled right in medium...I know many don't , but, one of those things I do....(and, once reason why I dislike seed....very labor intensive with volume, at least for me and how I do it...)

(And, of course, you can't place before watering, because will just shift them....so......depends....I use the Jiffy's....rapid rooters, peat pots and soil...all depends what I have but for the later rounds that go out sooner I prefer smaller (jiffy's, etc) because they go out very quick and very small.....don't need larger size, container, pots...(shot above 500 in 40" sq. space....so.....you know...pretty efficient.......I like it.....I'm using some rapid rooters because found a large stash in storage...working fairly well so far......

I actually also do my "soak" in the container also.So, lay em out, fold it over, fill maybe 1/2 inch.......later, just drain most out, leaving enough to keep moist, and, same like everyone else...I have a lot of those dishes, I like em, serves my purpose...not sure even what they're for or where they came from, but, I like em...(Glass, 5-6" sq....maybe 2" high...if anyone knows, please, let me know what they're for :biglaugh:

Also of interest is use the best paper towels....I had a large stash of the cheap ones (I go through like 10x more paper towels than most people :biglaugh:....and,....cheap ones...I don't like texture...so, will always consciously from now on use the softer, better ones for germing......I don't like cheap ones for that...too "hard"..(I use em for everything....kitchen, bath, car, rooms, garage, around pool, so...I go through like friggin 20 rolls a week :biglaugh: Current gf's say I should just buy a sponge instead :biglaugh:

Edit: Of course not against cloning in any way shape or form, and, do it very well (100% for the most part every time like clockwork), but, it's the lead time.......you know...and, like this year?.......just wasn't "feeling it" (the season, op......really didn't kick it all into gear until like April 1st, so...of course...no lead time, etc.....so...would be cheaper, but, not quicker, and, money against a couple extra months working?....eh.....I'd rather pay more so I could be "empty" for those couple months...have enough stuff to do, ya know?...so......(Now, I did lose somethings (stock) so...maybe if would have gotten those...would have been more "into it".....but...(originally this season was supposed to be SD, StrawD and DJ BB)...but, eh, plans changed ":biglaugh: But, really, all about "lead time"...seed?..... 2 weeks and ready to go...grow out moms, sex, veg, clone, root, bveg, etc..lot of extra time and space, etc, etc....real PITA sometimes :smoke:....was having a little crisis earlier this year...just wasn't "fun" to me anymore........(should be,.....)

Lead time of course also feeds into efficiency and effectiveness, etc,. and, extra cost?....eHHhhhh....well, again..people want to make a bunch of money and not spend?....eh....whatever...cost of doing business...in the end, taking into consideration (product).... cost is minor...ya know?...(Why I always get pissed off when people complain about cost of stock (seeds)......Can turn a single pack into 10,000 in 6 months.....and 1-200 is too much? :biglaugh: c'monnnnn :biglaugh: (even if you just grow out seed...trees, outdoors....eh, pPAleassssse......5 nice trees(up to 5lbs +) for 1-200?...sounds like a deal to me :smoke:.

Last edited:

Pimpslapped

Julian said:
But, really, and, I say all the time....the most important factor (with anything in life) is your comfort level, having to do with knowledge and more importantly confidence.....

Confidence major factor in anything anyone does, at anytime in life. It's the deciding factor. (ie: You could have knowledge, skill, spots, resources, etc, but, if you don't feel you can or you should, then, of course, it would probably be unwise to proceed......)

I'll agree with you there, my confidence in my growing ability is pretty good these days. I know I can do it... now I'm just working on learning to do it better.

Julian said:
Well, many equate weight with number of plants, and, not necessarily the case......one could run 100 plants and yield the same as 500 smaller, etc, etc......(or any variation of that), and, I think that "risk" while always a factor is, (in my book) determined more by ones actions(and precautions, planning) than in general....hence the importance of planning and actual operations...

I guess I could elaborate my prior point with a clarification: It's risk vs reward. But in many cases the actual risk is far lower than the perceived risk. Regardless of how great the risk truly is, many people will feel that the risks are far greater or more immediate than it actually is. Could fall into the 'confidence' category, though I think it's a much more complicated set of emotions than that in this instance. (People who feel that they are taking risks and are not comfortable will likely put themselves at greater risk simply by their actions or lack thereof due to lack of confidence in many cases, IME)

Very good point with the numbers vs weight. Always something to keep in mind.

Right now, I'm tentatively planning a possible attempt at an outdoor run next spring. Right now it's too late in the year for me to try and tackle it with any real level of preparation. I might go toss an extra plant out in the dirt somewhere if I end up with too many for my space due to seeds popping up with higher female-male ratios, or something... but that'll be the extent of it this time around. I am planning on doing a little bit of scouting around this summer/fall, see if I can locate a good spot or two. Maybe do some clearing/digging/mulching if I get a wild hair. We'll see. I might just sit on my ass with a bong and not get around to it, but I have a bad, bad feeling I may be getting the bug.

Small time is going to be my playground if I start using the daystar as my HPS.. (Need to rig a timer up to that.... anyone got a timer that'll work on the Sun? I have $5...) I know myself. I know that I am not the best person at following through with meticulous planning. Getting up to the larger scales (100+ plants at a run) just doesn't seem reasonable for my situation and abilities. But my needs are not insane either, currently not planning anything like a cash crop. I mainly just wanna keep myself in smoke with plenty extra to share. (Just need to control urges to grow a monster tree... dreams of 20+ foot tall beasts covered in bud... mmmmm... forbidden doughnut) Later on, might go for more. But must not let greed become the main factor for me. Right now, I'm growing because I enjoy it and enjoy the product produced.

Locations: You make use of areal views of your potential sites in your evaluations. What do you do in the case of an area where there are no clear areal images available? Make do without and do more local scouting I would assume. Have you ever made use of USGS info? I worked with their stuff years ago during school. I need to remember to get around to digging up my old data. A lot of local topo maps and I think groundwater/watertable info as well. That seems like something that would be useful as we..

GPS: In talking with a friend, he mentioned something that he had 'heard about someone else using'. Don't remember exactly what they're called, but apparently some use some sort of GPS enabled beacons that they drop at locations in order to find them again later. Anyone familiar with this practice? (Seems to me like he's actually refering to people taking GPS readings of their plots so they can navigate back to the coordinates later, but I could be wrong.) I wouldn't trust any sort of beacon or broadcast device located at my plants, if that is indeed what some people are using. That just seems like something that would greatly increase the potential risks/security breaches.

Would you recomend putting out rooted clones as late as say August 1st? My last batch to go outdoors won't be ready until then. The climate that I live in dictates that they must be cut by Oct 15-30 to avoid mold problems. I'm using quick and heavy flowering indicas that finish in 8-10 weeks. I have a good bit of experience w/ this strain and think that it would be able to produce at least 1 oz per plant given the late start. Sound accurate at all? Thanks for all the great info!

pakalolo420

A couple hundred pre-sexed plants that won't be watered, grown geurilla style can be very, very little actual work during the season. If you can manage finding good spots, getting them there, making a couple or three maintenance visits and harvesting that's all you have really to do. That's why what might seem like huge numbers are actually surprisingly logistically feasible. Most of the actual labor will be scouting and preparing (and a great spot won't need much prep) your sites before the season has even begun. And most of that work can be done months before a plant is ever transplanted.

If people knew how easy it can be....

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pimpslapped said:
I guess I could elaborate my prior point with a clarification: It's risk vs reward. But in many cases the actual risk is far lower than the perceived risk. Regardless of how great the risk truly is, many people will feel that the risks are far greater or more immediate than it actually is. Could fall into the 'confidence' category, though I think it's a much more complicated set of emotions than that in this instance. (People who feel that they are taking risks and are not comfortable will likely put themselves at greater risk simply by their actions or lack thereof due to lack of confidence in many cases, IME)
Nah, I had it, I just added some things...(agree..but think how one proceeds and discipline even reduces it further..)
Very good point with the numbers vs weight. Always something to keep in mind.
I've really been trying to cut things down for a while now (and, actually, have for the most part :biglaugh:)

Just all that free time, and, free space.....just find it impossible not to move always on more....:smoke:....
Right now, I'm tentatively planning a possible attempt at an outdoor run next spring. Right now it's too late in the year for me to try and tackle it with any real level of preparation. I might go toss an extra plant out in the dirt somewhere if I end up with too many for my space due to seeds popping up with higher female-male ratios, or something... but that'll be the extent of it this time around. I am planning on doing a little bit of scouting around this summer/fall, see if I can locate a good spot or two. Maybe do some clearing/digging/mulching if I get a wild hair. We'll see. I might just sit on my ass with a bong and not get around to it, but I have a bad, bad feeling I may be getting the bug.
eh, not too late (getting there), but, yeah, best to have a little more thought into it...once you get going plenty of opportunities and will be easier to do things spur of moment..(I do them, but, wouldn't recommend it...I might get another call tomorrow saying go for a run...but....eh, I'm pretty much in an overall position to do it....Would always recommend as much planning as possible to most...
I know that I am not the best person at following through with meticulous planning. Getting up to the larger scales (100+ plants at a run) just doesn't seem reasonable for my situation and abilities. But my needs are not insane either, currently not planning anything like a cash crop. I mainly just wanna keep myself in smoke with plenty extra to share. (Just need to control urges to grow a monster tree... dreams of 20+ foot tall beasts covered in bud... mmmmm... forbidden doughnut) Later on, might go for more. But must not let greed become the main factor for me. Right now, I'm growing because I enjoy it and enjoy the product produced.
Eh, you'll do what and when you want.....depending on what your after, larger number might not even be necessary...

I think greed is an often misunderstood aspect....think it's more the latter of what you mentioned,...."the game".....addiction to growing...(which most know is an easily acquired habit :biglaugh:
Locations: You make use of areal views of your potential sites in your evaluations. What do you do in the case of an area where there are no clear areal images available? Make do without and do more local scouting I would assume. Have you ever made use of USGS info? I worked with their stuff years ago during school. I need to remember to get around to digging up my old data. A lot of local topo maps and I think groundwater/watertable info as well. That seems like something that would be useful as we..
I'm personally 100% covered on aerials for any location I do.....don't really have any areas done that are unavailable..(surprisingly....even for the larger distant one...)

Haven't used the others and water usually not an issue...high grounds usually obvious, lowers the same...I look for that in spots and try to map em accordingly from the start, and be aware....not on the list (my region) of primary concerns, as rainfall to start with fairly good regardless of spots, but, do like the lowers....
GPS: In talking with a friend, he mentioned something that he had 'heard about someone else using'. Don't remember exactly what they're called, but apparently some use some sort of GPS enabled beacons that they drop at locations in order to find them again later. Anyone familiar with this practice? (Seems to me like he's actually refering to people taking GPS readings of their plots so they can navigate back to the coordinates later, but I could be wrong.) I wouldn't trust any sort of beacon or broadcast device located at my plants, if that is indeed what some people are using. That just seems like something that would greatly increase the potential risks/security breaches.
Doesn't sound like the same...I'm against any electronic related storage of location data and specs...know others use them and are pleased...but, doesn't seem safe for me. Worse case scenario it will fall into wrong hands...
africanherbman1
Would you recommend putting out rooted clones as late as say August 1st? My last batch to go outdoors won't be ready until then. The climate that I live in dictates that they must be cut by Oct 15-30 to avoid mold problems. I'm using quick and heavy flowering indicas that finish in 8-10 weeks. I have a good bit of experience w/ this strain and think that it would be able to produce at least 1 oz per plant given the late start. Sound accurate at all? Thanks for all the great info!
The above is basically pretty close to exactly what I do, for the most part....across the board, but, I would just be curious why not ready to go till then (question being because of schedule?, or because your giving them more veg time in?.)......lot of people hold things back when out growth would move them farther along faster (I used to do that),...I only caution people that when going so late, try and break em in a little before put out because lot of areas these dates are absolutely brutal, and, of course, later needs a little more attention (water), so...I put em out smaller the later I go in season (current round might not even be 1 week old.....broke in today, will tomorrow and next and that night probably be out...

Problem with later is unless familiar (out,strain)...sometimes your a little off on dates...so (I run different every time, all the time, so, sometimes little larger, sometimes little smaller...just works out that way...if I ran same thing and got a feel probably could get em "perfect", but, just doesn't work that way with what I do....Overall sounds about right though and pretty close to my own schedule and approach..
pakalolo420
A couple hundred pre-sexed plants that won't be watered, grown geurilla style can be very, very little actual work during the season.
I agree.....after out the most I usually do is trim areas and top feeds....sometimes pull males if applicable...(If I know I am running a mix I try to keep them in certain spots overall so to sex and pull, only have to hit those specific spots instead of 10x more....)

Depends though on region.....lot not so fortunate for many reasons.....
If you can manage finding good spots, getting them there, making a couple or three maintenance visits and harvesting that's all you have really to do. That's why what might seem like huge numbers are actually surprisingly logistically feasible. Most of the actual labor will be scouting and preparing (and a great spot won't need much prep) your sites before the season has even begun. And most of that work can be done months before a plant is ever transplanted.

If people knew how easy it can be....
I personally think harvest is the most labor intensive time in the process.......planting?...eh, spots done and their in fairly quick.....harvest and related can go on for months afterwards :smoke:......definitely to me the most serious issue(s)...

PHB

Julian said:
I'd really like to get some city shots in also.....to share.....to illustrate....to help with ideas......(not prove, or because some feel they need them for content to be "credible" or accurate...) One of largest cities in the world....300,000 people passing within 10 feet of them every day, all day......really shows anywhere is possible.....and, ever after using them a couple years I think pretty cool actually..:biglaugh: Maybe a week or two......very hard to see them right now :smoke: week or two maybe be good pics....

I would love to see those! You have a wealth of info, thanks.

PHB

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm gonna try and get in there with camera......those spots are kind of a problem getting into, much less being stopped coming in or out with camera, but, within couple weeks I think I can get something of interest :smoke: (Maybe even try and snap one as train going by to show peoples faces :biglaugh: (Train spots, people's faces probably like.....5 feet away :biglaugh:....should look pretty funny :biglaugh:I'll try and get down far enough to get plants and faces same time/same pic :biglaugh:)

(Have to check trains and markings though...wouldn't want to give away the trains line :smoke:)

I'm thinking about adding some of this weeks round to get in there also, and start doing patches of mini's among the others :smoke: They should be doing well..last time was there they were, and, crystals and fairly good weather, so...I have the feeling they are :smoke:

Maybe next week or so...(not going to bring camera and plants, and supplies same trip....gotta always be ready to bolt if there's a problem...) Pics gotta be clean so if stopped can just say photographing back of a factory/building I am considering buying/leasing, give them business card, etc, etc...should be enough to do the trick worse case scenario :smoke:

I think those will surprise a lot of people, but, want em a little bigger so easier to see......

Last edited:
hey julian...sorry if i missed it but are there any pics in your thread... jw.
looking like some serious shit you got goin on... keep it up.. and say safe

peace

BORIS

The reason that they are going out so late is due to the mothers regrowing a little slowly after the last batch of clones I took. Where I live it will barely hit 90 in the beginning of august, and we do get a good bit of rain. I'm planning on prepping the site w/ coco, bags of top soil...cow manure, hen manure, mushroom compost, ect, bat guano, a good organic flowering mixture, and water polymer crystals. Last year I harvested the same strain mid october due to small amounts of mold, but the plants were a little bit bigger. I'm guessing that I will have less problems with mold, because the buds will be smaller on the minis.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BorisTheBlaze said:
hey julian...sorry if i missed it but are there any pics in your thread... jw.
looking like some serious shit you got goin on... keep it up.. and say safe
Actually quite a few :smoke: gotta read it though :smoke:(links)....

Not a grow thread/diary per se...just continuing the other with outdoor angle and adding what I can that applies...(and yes, we will get to money, property, assets, business's, investments, tangible assets, set ups, and such for those who have been asking.....and asking ....and asking :biglaugh:.....when it's appropriate......sure to fall in somewhere :smoke:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts