What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking to get into coco

admiralcornport

but there isn't alot of beginers to coco info here. Could you guys tell me how you prepare the coco, how often you hand water it, what pot size you use, nutrient formulas and how often you feed, and approx. yield.

Would you say that you yield more in coco?

what are the pros and cons?

B

bonecarver_OG

check out the handwatering coco thread. u might get some answers there, and u are free to ask what ya like. im sure we here will be able to help you out :D

compressed coco needs to get soaked to regain its volume. most coco is pretreated and nothing else is necesary. i normally soak the coco in PH adjusted water with very low EC.

hand watering should be done every day - or as often as u can. basicly - much more often than soil - for best results :D

pots: u can flower small clones in 7 liter pots (2 gallon) and bigger plants work well in 12 liter pots. u can normally grow bigger plants in smaler pots using coco.

use coco specific nutes . it gives less problems and better results. for example Canna coco A+B or Hesi coco..

feed with every watering. this is hydro.

coco definetly gives me more solid buds than soil - and bigger. this means more yield. - using Canna PK 13-14 and Canna Coco A+B nutes.

those above are all the pro's - and there isnt any con's as long as u use the coco as its suposed to.

peace and good luck

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

hehe moppel :D what coco specific nutes did u use and in what kind of setup?

we have made side by side grows with clones of same pheno in soil and coco. i would not say this otherwise. :D this is the reason i switched to coco.

this is also the reason why almost all modern agriculture is hydroponic. the yields. :D

also one atribute that COCO and the coco specific nutes do is: they give a stronger flavour :) but i know this one is my personal opinion :D

peace

Last edited:

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
i have tried cocoslabs, with a drip system. Great system , dont get me wrong. But i dont find them making more solids buds. Better yield possible yes.....

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Haha Moppel, :D

the thing is not a lot of growers get results like you do in earth. for most people switching to coco is a step towards bigger buds and better yields. but in the end a system is only ever as good as the grower using it. a well dialed in grow will do well what ever your system.

coco is a great medium, that makes growing some fine bud more then easy, while at the same time giving you fast growth rates comparable with hydroponics, but at the same time maintaining that tasty aspect that people relate to well grown earth bud.

you don't need to have so much medium, and it's reusable. which makes it much easier when it's time to get rid of it.

B

bonecarver_OG

gaius - u are completelly rigth :D

moppel - the increased yield you had - was it mainly because of the quick growth rate? or any other thoughts? :)

Last edited:
G

admiralcornport said:
but there isn't alot of beginers to coco info here. Could you guys tell me how you prepare the coco, how often you hand water it, what pot size you use, nutrient formulas and how often you feed, and approx. yield.

Would you say that you yield more in coco?

what are the pros and cons?

Hey Admiral, if you can't get all the info you are looking for here, check out the Unnofficial Coco Growers therad here;
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=23140&page=3&pp=40&highlight=monkey+juice

It's a big one, but there is TONS of great information about pretty much every style of coco growing in it. Good luck!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
PK 13/14 is supposed to be a mineral 1 time boost. the idea is that by harvest those minerals will be long used up and burned up by the plant.

although i do understand an organic grower not wanting to use it.

they now have something called bioboost which acts to better the uptake of the normal flowering nutes, giving a boost that way. this stuff is biological and works well, just too expensive in my opinion.

but the point is the pk 13/14 will compact and harden your bud if used correctly and you will not notice it in the taste if you correctly flush the coco before harvest.

interesting about the pk 9/18 never heard of it before.

B

bonecarver_OG

ah cool :D didnt know u were a soil-pro :D i never tried bio nova so i cant speak about its eficiency.

with Canna A+B - pk is not allways necesary.

i should add that as far as i know Canna makes the coco nutrient series out of distilled desert plants - and that doesnt sound very good either. :( hope to find some info that says the oposite somewhere!

it is very discussed, the issue about beeing organic nowadays and i respect it a lot. i prefeer my food organic so i know what it is all about :D

anyway i normally tell the experienced soil growers i know, that are thinking about switching to coco - not to do it - the reason is: once u controll one method and have outstanding results - there is no need for changing is there :D

i will again in the future grow in soil since i like the low maintenance of it. on the side of the eden project i have other coop grows with friends - soil and with organic aditives most of the time.

i dont want to upset any soil growers so i will refrase my post above that started all this :D

peace :D

B

bonecarver_OG

i just made it more specific :D

bonecarver_OG said:
coco definetly gives me more solid buds than soil - and bigger. this means more yield. - using Canna PK 13-14 and Canna Coco A+B nutes.

so its clear its the experience i had :D

peace

Latest posts

Latest posts