What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strong Odor From Pots

Ktaadn

I just received an order of cheapo gallon pots that were made in China from recycled plastic. They have a very strong plastic odor that almost burns the nostrils.

I'm concerned about the effect of using these with my organic soil. I gave them a good soak and rinse in hot soapy water but the smell is mostly still present. Are these going to be harmful to my plants or microbial life? I'm tempted to just chuck em!

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe they are breaking down.

I imagine if you can smell it that it's not too healthy for the biology of the soil.
Possibly the plants would uptake these breakdown products and poison you.

I say get rid of them. :tiphat:

Ktaadn

Well it's freezing cold here so I guess I'll just set them aside and see if there's any change after they sit for a while.