What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jacks & Cal-Mag instead of Cal-Nit?

BillFarthing

Veteran
Am I the only one that thinks that dissolving calcium nitrate for Jack's Classic Hydro is a chore? Has anyone used a liquid cal-mag like Cal-Mag Plus to replace the cal-nit in the formula?

My rationale is that it is cal-mag replaces the cal-nit and adds magnesium and iron, which the formula could use anyway. How would I figure the equivalent ppm of cal-mag to use as a replacement?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Couldn't you do a ppm test on an amount of clean water, then add the amount of cal-nit you normally use to it, then do another ppm test to determine how much you added? Then add calmag 1ml at a time to the same amount of clean water until you hit the same ppm? I realize there are different things in each, so it wouldn't be exact, but I feel like that would give you a decent number to start off.

mdgg4

Calcium nitrate dissolves by just sitting in water. If you have a problem you can just mix it up in hot water before adding to rez. You can throw it in reservoir and let sit 15min or so and it will basically dissolve on its own. I've ran Cal/mag with Jack's, but to be honest calnit gives more control and better results. It's not always a cal/mag issue most times it's one or the other.

PEACE!

I do this. I run Cal-Mag along with Cal-Nit with my Jack's. My plants were showing calcium deficiencies but the Cal-Mag knocked it out.

Probably because it's so cold this winter, I'm assuming the plants need a boost.

snoopdee

I do this. I run Cal-Mag along with Cal-Nit with my Jack's. My plants were showing calcium deficiencies but the Cal-Mag knocked it out.

Probably because it's so cold this winter, I'm assuming the plants need a boost.
Would like to try this. When I cut my calcium nitrate, I get calcium deficiencies, but no nitrogen deficiencies, forcing me to dose up.

Do you add your cal-mag first before Jack's or vice versa?

Latest posts

Latest posts