What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carbon filter for PC fans?

danielk

well unless you can timetravel you wont ever have less users than products sold, this is same stupid logic newpapers use to report on rapes, if your question is "were you EVER raped" that % that says YES can ONLY GO UP, you CANNOT be un-raped

youre not addressing my issues, explain how this is not a stupidly desined overpriced product that is by default less efficient than existing designs, i shouldnt have to tell you how to improve your "invention"

every single day people in america are buying MAGNETS to cure their cancers, MAGNETS! "every day we're selling more magnets so we KNOW magnets work" :dance013:

please refer me to a true american companies that makes pc fans by hand, cmon man, you think we're idiots?!

Its a compact filter that fits in small spaces. It significantly reduces the overhead space leaving more room for growing. There are many people who grow in cabinets all the way down to inside PC's. They don't have extra room to spare. These filters take up 16 cubic inches, plus a little more for the fan. Compare that to an inline fan, can filter, and ducting.

If you wanted to use a compact fan before, like the Multifan S2, you had flawed odor control options. You could use a pad filter, that didn't work, or a homemade box of carbon, that significantly reduced airflow. Gels like Ona add a smell into the air.

Our filter fixes these problems. The filter has parallel channels traveling through solid carbon that eliminate the airflow constriction present in a homemade box of carbon. And this filter actually works. You compare it to buying magnets for cancer right after someone from this forum says they are using it and it works...

So if you want to have significantly more space for growing, have a filter that actually works, and that lets air actually flow with a money and space saving pc style fan, our filter is perfect for you. Our filters have been sent to grow cabinet manufacturers and social media reviewers. You will hear more in the upcoming months.

On the fan comment, please excuse me, I mispoke. I was referring to foreign fan companies that often sell fans through ebay. These fans dont always match the advertised stats.

Yes, we are suggesting that blower fan. It has the perfect amount of airflow to pair with our filter and microgrows. Plus it looks great on the outside of a grow box, can be easily attached to additional fans, and blows sideways. This means the grow box can be pressed against a wall with out disrupting airflow, unlike a straight blowing fan.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

danielk

I do not have the option to edit my post. I typed an incorrect number. The filter takes up 64 cubic inches.

danielk

In my experience, they do exactly what Dan says they do.

I'm impressed. Keep your fan CFM's under 50 for them to work properly. I believe that's the right number... maybe Dan can clarify.

The adhesive mounting tape on these things is strong and holds them in place really well but if you have any screw head or nut protrusions they may cause the flange to not seat and seal completely flat against your cab wall... just use some gorilla duct tape to seal around the outside flange edge and you're golden.

Thanks again for trying out our product and thanks for sharing the advice.

for all i know thats your sister sitting next to you postin about how great your product is

do you even speak english?
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you wanted to use a compact fan before, like the Multifan S2, you had flawed odor control options. You could use a pad filter, that didn't work, or a homemade box of carbon, that significantly reduced airflow. Gels like Ona add a smell into the air.

Our filter fixes these problems. The filter has parallel channels traveling through solid carbon that eliminate the airflow constriction present in a homemade box of carbon."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]because i dont think that means what you think it means
to me its funny you completey ignore what i said and just see "CRITIC"

[/FONT]

G

Interesting product. I was starting to look around for something like this or make my own for my new bonsai mom/clone/seedling box.
I already used two of the AC Infinity 1225 fans.
Not going to jump in and buy but will be waiting to hear from actual customers not some dick who has an axe to grind for some reason. Or maybe I’m also part of the “con”.
:moon:

picture.php

picture.php

Rouxdy

Interesting product. I was starting to look around for something like this or make my own for my new bonsai mom/clone/seedling box.
I already used two of the AC Infinity 1225 fans.

View Image

I would tell you that they'll work at least as well as a store bought can filter with granulated carbon pellets. Somewhere towards the beginning of this thread there is a shot of my cab with the old can filter. I removed it and mounted two filters on the outside of my cab so that the fans push through the filter. Saves me quite a bit of room and eventually I'll probably add on another section at the top of the cab for seedlings and move the filters inside the cabinet and have the fans pull through the filters.

I'm at the tail end of a grow with a pretty smelly plant and my results are better than what I got out of the can filters.

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
I printed my Carbon Filter Box myself with a 3D printer for a 120mm fan... lots of ideas on thingiverse and so on :)

total cost was about 10€ inklusive the active carbon :)

I would tell you that they'll work at least as well as a store bought can filter with granulated carbon pellets. Somewhere towards the beginning of this thread there is a shot of my cab with the old can filter. I removed it and mounted two filters on the outside of my cab so that the fans push through the filter. Saves me quite a bit of room and eventually I'll probably add on another section at the top of the cab for seedlings and move the filters inside the cabinet and have the fans pull through the filters.

I'm at the tail end of a grow with a pretty smelly plant and my results are better than what I got out of the can filters.

Any new updates on the performance of the filter?

Rouxdy

I'm very happy with them. They work at least as well as any can filter I've ever tried and they take up considerably less room.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I made a 50mm bed filter, using a small Axial PC fan. It was for a shoe cupboard, and worked quite well. Just sat there, recirculating. However the issues with low air flow were apparent. You need the air going through to be turbulent. So it all gets slung against the carbon at some point. Even a monster filter will leak smell if you lower airflow enough. What passes though won't be so turbulent, and air will find the easiest route though, so a laminar flow is created. Where the air rubbing shoulders with the carbon is slow moving, but above it is faster moving air that has little interaction as it slips through.

Any attempt with an axial fan is doomed. They just stall (spin on the spot, doing almost nothing). There are lots of centrifugal 'blower' type fans like the one recommended though. Most PC sized ones will have a round intake, just a couple of inches across. Here you can add a filter tube of the same width. Wider seems tempting, but it will lower air velocity. A filter tube could be as little as a bit of loo roll tube chopped to 50mm. Filled with carbon and tied into an old sock. You could get a bit more involved, and buy your carbon in a plastic tub. Often sold as 1L or 400g, it's half made for you. The air 'in' end, could be a lot of holes drilled. Or whip off the lid, and cut a big hole in the top. Lay some 'nylons' over the open end, and screw the lid (with it's hole in) back on. This will hold the nylon or fine fishing net in place. I chopped up an old alloy filter for my mesh. The 'out' end can be stuck to the fan with bathroom sealant. It's as fancy as you want to make it.

You know the cheapest source of 100mm duct fans is in the most common appliance that uses them. Boxed up with a speed controller and carbon filter for $100 in home depot. A used cooker hood extractor is worth peanuts. Neff often use elta branded fans. You could literally pull an rvk and speed controller from a dumpster. Some really are put together badly though, with big gaps, where no gap is wanted. You may need to dive twice.

I flipped a cooker hood on it's back, so the filter side was upwards. I then covered the thing with a 50mm bed of carbon (After building a little wall with card and gaffer tape. So it didn't all fall off). I put this whole thing in a big cardboard box. With the hoods hose out though the side. Now, this alone was trying to suck the box flat, extracting air from the box, through the filter, and blow it out the hose. I made a second hole in the box where air was sucked in. This hole, I ducted off to my enclosure.

I had made an inline carbon scrubber using a 600x400 50mm deep carbon filter. A 100mm reverse blade external rotor induction motor fan. A 3 speed fan switch, and for about $50

Before covering it in carbon, I took the thin carbon impregnated fabric from within the filter, and placed it outside. To stop the carbon just falling in. I hoovered this after a couple of days, to remote the carbon dust that came away easily. I also ditched the 1" bed filter that's more typical of cooker hoods. (I have used a few over the years)

It's rather large, but if you have space, it's very cheap and easy to renew. You could package it differently to slip under a bed. It's a good fan for free.

danielk

I made a 50mm bed filter, using a small Axial PC fan. It was for a shoe cupboard, and worked quite well. Just sat there, recirculating. However the issues with low air flow were apparent. You need the air going through to be turbulent. So it all gets slung against the carbon at some point. Even a monster filter will leak smell if you lower airflow enough. What passes though won't be so turbulent, and air will find the easiest route though, so a laminar flow is created. Where the air rubbing shoulders with the carbon is slow moving, but above it is faster moving air that has little interaction as it slips through.

Any attempt with an axial fan is doomed. They just stall (spin on the spot, doing almost nothing). There are lots of centrifugal 'blower' type fans like the one recommended though.
Hey, thanks for the input. We made the Flower Carbon Filter to solve all these issues. By using solid carbon with parallel channels, airflow is no longer a problem. The channels are also the proper length to allow the air to have enough contact time for odor absorption. This means axial fans work great with the Flower Carbon Filter. This is not a box of granulated carbon.

It barely takes up any room, simply sticks over the vent hole, has minimal impact on airflow(unlike granulated carbon)and is very effective. Its perfect for cupboard grows like you mentioned. We have customers using them on tents as well.